I might be a Deist

by professor 38 Replies latest jw friends

• professor
    professor

Thank you, Valis, for posting to following info:

This seems closer to me than anything I have found yet. It also seems to fit the bill for several others who replied on that thread. I need to look into this further.

I agree with:

• reject unconfirmable revelations
    • reject religious bigotry
    • question authority
    • "presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe"
    • creation speaks a universal language
    • view myself as a part of nature rather than trying to "subdue" or "take domination over" it.
    • belief in a God

Not so sure about confining prayers to thanks and praise only (i.e. not being able to ask God for guidance, help, etc.) Perhaps I am misinterpreting this.

Anyone familiar with Deism? Comments? Criticism?

Thanks

-Professor

• Farkel
    Farkel

Professor,

: Anyone familiar with Deism? Comments? Criticism?

I am. I am also a Deist. Have you read "The Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine? You can download it for free on the Net. He makes a great case for Deism and a great case why religion and especially Christianity is so screwed up. Being a gentlemen of the 18th Century and a contemporary of other great Americans like Thomas Jefferson, he was much vilified by the religionists of his day, but they could not refute the evidence he presented. He basically trashed most of the Bible in that Treatise. It's a good read if you haven't already read it.

Farkel

• jelly
    jelly

I also consider myself a Diest. Thanks for the good post.

Jelly

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

This sounds like what I am today. After being away from the wtbts for over four years and looking into religion in general, I have mostly gone with my gut feeling....which I can now define as Deism.

Brings new meaning to Bob Dylan's lyrics in John Wesley Harding: "As I went out one morning to breathe the air around Tom Paine..." (As I Went Out One Morning)

• professor
    professor

Thanks. Found it (The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine) here.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I too consider myselft a Deist.

Lee

• TheContagion
    TheContagion

Your a Deist and you believe in a personal creator?

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

If I wasn't Pagan I guess I'd be a Deist. It is not that I don't believe in religion per se' but I believe that a religion that claims to know the one true creator is the furthest from the truth. As a wiccan I believe all paths lead to the creator, whether you assign that as a God or Goddess. I do like the Deist philosophy though.

gsx1138

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

GSX--

We see the design found throughout the known universe and this realization brings us to a sound belief in a Designer or God.

according to that theory...couldn't designer = god; goddess

and then maybe make you a pagan deist...

or am I on way too much caffeine here thats making my thought process go wacky?

Spazzing Spice

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    What is the basis of Deism? Reason and nature. We see the design found throughout the known universe and this realization brings us to a sound belief in a Designer or God.

The argument from design is fundamentally flawed. What they really mean is "We see the complexity found throughout the known universe and assume or prove that complexity means design, and from this infer a belief in a Designer or God." Such an argument rests on the strength of the correlation between complexity and design.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit