Mankind proved they can't rule?

by Simon 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon

According to the JW doctrine, mankind has tried every form of goverment but ultimately failed to rule successfully. So many wars ... we really need big J to sort things out. What a swell guy. Sounds fair eh?

Well ...

Most people would agree that the main cause of war is nationalism and the differences between cultures and peoples that leads to conflict. Was it always this way according to JW beliefs?

No, in fact, once upon a time everyone was working together so well (building the tower of babel) that Jehovah got scared by it ("there is nothing they won't be able to achieve") and he decided to put a stop to it so he mixed up the languages and caused the national boundaries.

Gee ... thank a lot God! We were all getting on fine until you stuck your big fat face in - now look at the mess and then you claim it proves you should be in charge?? Hardly a fair test now is it?

I may be wrong but wasn't this all before the flood? Since when did language become genetic? (I know I probably got that bit wrong)

• Gopher
    Gopher

The Tower of Babel incident occurred after Noah's time (when the flood supposedly occurred). Nimrod, the ruler of Babel/Babylon was Noah's great great great grandson (or something like that, not sure of the number of 'great's involved).

But yeah the Jehovah of the Bible sure "switched horses in mid-stream". Is that an Americanism? Well anyhow he changed the rules in the middle of the game, because things weren't going his way. He is to sovereignty what the South Koreans are to football -- a poor loser. (ducking)

• ballistic
    ballistic

I agree that this babel story doesnt seem to fit with the witnesses version of God's purpose. Scattering people and confusing their languages is something you would attribute to Satan when you consider that the dubs talk about 'one pure language' and being 'united in true worship'.

If God did this, it would have had an imeasurable and permanent effect on world politics, religion and society in general since that event.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Simon,

Excellent post. This was also on my "explain this please" list back when I was in High School. The answer didn't satisfy me then, when I was a serious student of the biblia, in the JW borg.

Why didn't god just blow real hard and knock the tower over?

Gosh, Noah must have had an awful lot of work to do after the flood, re-teaching all those languages to everyone in his family.(?)

Karen

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

Simon,

Dont forget Genesis 6:6-7

6:"The Lord was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. 7: So the Lord said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth- men, and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and the birds of the air- for I am grieved that I have made them."

Such violence! I suppose that was a "loving" act. He put them out of their misery.

Why did he not add Noah & Co. to the tally and save himself much frustration later on? Of course that he allowed demons to drop down and have sex and offspring and basically intimidate people had no bearing or responsibility on the matter either.

On the other hand. Man definitely can NOT rule himself. But in fact that in a way is a credit to humankind that our societies function at all.

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

Simon, I posted more or less the same question about a month ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=28946&site=3

There was a little response from apologists, but I found it all a little silly really

• rmayer32
    rmayer32

That's a great point Simon, I never really thought about that one like that

-Rick

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

I suppose a theologian would argue given the Genesis scenario, that while God created Nations he did not create 'Nationalism'. Presumably, just as he is assigned creativity of the material world, he did not create 'materialism' as a belief system. Of course doctrine does not bury the dead at the end of the day...lol

It does seem that languages exploded into mans world rather than through a gradual development, at roughly the same time as the development of interest in the arts and the awakening of some sort of internal spiritual awareness, around ten thousand years ago or so. Some anthropologists refer to this as the 'creative big-bang', which at present is still viewed as one of those mysterious moments in mans development.

Very interesting stuff.

Best - HS

PS Simon - I cut and paste from Word and lose quotations in transfer. Can anything be done about this, I know you have nothing else to do at the moment.....lol

Edited by - hillary_step on 29 June 2002 13:6:37

Edited by - hillary_step on 29 June 2002 13:8:34

• one
    one

watching towers go down

babel tower

wrodtradecenter tower

watch tower

-------

architec and engineers, Nenrod corp, Wall st & associates, Russell Rutherfor Knor Franz and Slaves Inc.

Franz knew 7 languages, so they say. One thing is sure he made all the latest remodeling. But the foundation is still weak.

He had an utility program to reformatt your head and upload a "new pure language", no much luck in china, but i am amazed the results in Japan, Those strange characters (i mean writting symbols).

I have eunough problems with languages based on the Alphabet and the Arabic numbering system 0-9.

Did i said numbering system? then teki came up with binary, hex, octal. ebcdc (?IBM language) assembler, machine language, ASCII etc etc Not to mention "hi leve"l languages HTML bla bla.

Don't blame only god alone....

BTW

The 4 Interpol official languages: English, Spanish, French, Arab (can't rembmer which one)

• one
    one

then came Bill Gates and designed a horizontal tower with a lot of WINDOWS.

God did not like it and send the USA gov. to chase him and accusing him of being another Nenrod. So far he has been able to NETSCAPE, not being a NAVIGATOR but an EXPLORER.

Anyway, you all thank him for allowing you to arrive here.through one of the WINDOWS.

God and USA Justice Dept is loosing this one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit