Flowers in life

by kenpodragon 5 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

When I was a baby I was walking along and I saw a flower. It was all colorful and pretty so I picked it and showed it to my mother, she called it a "flower" and I held it and kept it with me until it turned brown and faded away.

As the years went by I saw many flowers and I passed many of them without notice, even stomped a few on accident as I walked threw the field to a new destination. The years passed so fast and so many flowers were around, and yet I only took a fading glimpse at best.

Then one day I was sitting in a field wondering what the universe was all about and why life was even here. I then looked over and saw a flower. I did not pick this one, but rather I took the time to really look at it. I looked at the peddles and how they were so balanced in a circle. The color faded from one to another with the precision of a fine artist, and the smell was something that was felt deep into my being. I realized as I set there, and looked around that there were many more flowers to look at. I realized, that the whole time the flowers were there, I was just not looking for them in the right place.

Soon the answer was in my head. I was looking for the answer to life and the universe, and the whole time it was answering me. Do you know what that answer was?

"Take time to smell the flowers"

Basically, take time to enjoy the small things of life. Then and only then you will see what life is all about, and you wont let it pass you by.

Take Care

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Whenever I am outdoors, I am amazed by the beauty of it all. The way the sun and shadows play on perfectly arranged trees and plants and flowers and rocks and landscapes. You can look closely at one object or take in the entire view, it is the same. If I am in a forest, surrounded by its beauty, or looking at the horizon of a desert or the sea, it is the same. It tells all the answers. I become one with it all.

• terafera
    terafera

Kenpo, what a beautiful post. I am reading a book called "All the Joy you can Stand" and it talks about being close to the earth to get grounded. Eating on the floor, sitting on the grass whenever you can....being near open water and getting fresh air, they're all things that center you and make you slow down.

Thanks for the reminder that we all need!

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

I have always loved that verse and practice it each day (especially when things seems to start moving too quickly).

I have in my office a stained glass item with a painting of flowers and a little fairy with wings sitting a leaf. Written is "Along the way... Take time to smell the Flowers...."

This was given to me over tweny years ago by a corporate auditor (her company had acquired the co. I was working for). The auditor and I became friends and she gave me the item when she found out I was going back to college at night to complete my bachelor's degree in Finance.

If you do not take time to smell the flowers and enjoy the simplest things in life - may it be just be looking at a blade of grass or seeing the light shine your friend's (or somebody else you care for eyes), one day you will find time has passed by very quickly and your life is almost over - and you begin to wondering where it all went.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Kenpo-

Thank you...you just broght back a good childhood memory (or rather one my mother always liked). She said that when I was little I would always find the tiniest flower, the kind that usually got ignored and picked it for her. Maybe thats why I always stick up for the underdog .

Anyway...I do my best nowadays to always appreciate the little things.

Thanks again for the memory...I will now have to go find a flower.

Spice

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

terafera

One of my favorite things to do it to eat in the flower garden in the yard, or sit in the woods on a rock over looking a mountian lake and enjoy the day. Never knew there was a book that reccommended that it just felt good to me.

Take Care

Dragon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit