Assemly food tickets - WHY??

by home_and_dry 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Lollylou
    Lollylou

It just wasn't an assembly without the botulism from the food at the assemblies!! I remember when we cooked hot meals twice a day for the conventions. We spent the entire time cooking. Scrambled eggs, Biscuits & gravy, oj, ummmmm- Breakfast. Those yummy salisbury steaks mashed pots green beans, salad for lunch. Now that was an accomplishment!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Botulism?

You just can't beat an old fashioned Walls steak & kidney pie for a real taste of English botulism at it's best!

Englishman.

• starfish422
    starfish422

They did away with the meal tickets at the same time they stopped charging a set price for literature. Just another way to avoid paying Caesar's things to Caesar.

• NoMoreJW
    NoMoreJW

One year me and my mate were collared to "volunteer" our services and to offload lots (yes I mean LOTS) of left over food at the end of a DC. There were boxes of frozen doughnuts, pounds and pounds of boiled ham, roast beef and god knows how many slices and chunks of cheese. Anyway, being a little miffed because we had to stay behind until it was all gone we decided to have our own "sale". We shouted to the passing crowds: "Sweaty ham! Rancid Beef! Mouldy cheese!" and you should have seen the people that gathered to buy! We took literally pennies for as much as the people could carry hehehe I felt sorry for one old lady and gave her a box of about 100 frozen doughnuts for about 1quid! Once it had all gone we went searchig for someone to give the money to. No joy - no-one wanted to know. Bear in mind our coach had already been waiting an hour for us so we just hopped on and went home. Oh and I think that was the last DC I ever went to.

Have fun :)
    M.

Edited by - NoMoreJW on 26 June 2002 11:31:28

Edited by - NoMoreJW on 26 June 2002 11:35:3

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

I used to love those little food tickets. Don't get me wrong, I hated the hassle of actually having to stand in line for 40 minutes to buy the blasted things, but they did make neat little toys while you were bored to tears at your seat. My favorite was to fold them up and make them into a little accordion or a set of steps.

BTW, we never had hot meals at our conventions. Usually it was sandwiches and warm salads. It seemed that they insisted on making horrid food items that no one in their right minds would eat.

Brian

• Simon
    Simon

Ahh yes, the old "accordian technique" to pass the time.

I remember the food tickets and that non-chocolate chocalate that had the mint filling. Wasn't it 'hellas' with a little picture of the devil on the back? I'm sure I remember us all laughing at the 'irony' (groan)

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

There are three advantages to the tickets I can think of, some already touched on:

1) No change given at food stalls - Speeds up the process for the food sellers, they don't need to be able to subtract. Also, no problem with not having the right change, no expense for rolls of coins from the bank, no heavy change drawers to transport.

2) No money handled at food stalls - Some young ones might not be as trustworthy as we think. Of course a lot were not thinking about petty theft - they were too busy fornicating and doping.

3) Separate transactions - Here is where the tax issue might come into play; what I present is only a theory. When you buy tickets, you are actually making a contribution (although only unused tickets really count). The food could arguably be a premium, much like the tote bag public television gives you. True, on your end under current U.S. tax law, the value of any consideration - e.g. tote bags or food - would have to be subtracted from the value of the donation before deducting it for taxes. But many premiums do not cost the public television station anything; they are themselves contributions. So maybe the Society got to write off an expense - their food costs - without having to link it to the tickets.

We were always encouraged to drop unused tickets in the contribution boxes, much as we are still urged to remove unused parking tickets from our stubs if we miss a day (not give them to the municiple parking attendents). The latter case clearly "results in a contribution" to the Society or the district convention fund or whatever. But what about the former? Did the tickets in the box not matter, as the district just counted tickets sold less tickets used? Or did the convention need to redeem for food or collect in contribution boxes all tickets to be credited, leaving the possibility that unused tickets stayed on the accounting sheet - and resulted in a contribution to Brooklyn as soon as the convention ticket program ended?

The god of the dolphins has flippers.

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

When did they stop the food tickets? The last District assembly I went to was 1989.

Man, I always remember how this elder tried to put us all on this guilt trip about not letting the "nutritious and delicious food" go to waste.

I hated the roast beef sandwiches. but the vanilla pudding was ok. Now what was up with the extra-small half-frozen OJs? I had to drink three or four of them to feel like my thirst was quenched.

the dustrabbit

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

Having worked in food service, and security, I was quite happy to NOT have that much cash. I mean come on, would you want to have that much cash in an open environment with no "security" around?

Secondly, for those that worked in food service in the old days (actually cooking meals). The move to the food I can only call "rations" was a good move. I wonder what the WTS did with all that cooking equipment they bought at the time? They had a fleet of semis that traveled the U.S. full of large convection cookers.

Lastly, the tickets were fun. I had to make $15 in tickets last 4 days.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Hi L.A

no security! what about the bruhvers w/the walkie talkies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit