Do we have a "spiritual need"?

by LexIsFree 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LexIsFree
    LexIsFree

So this is only my second post but its about something that has been on my mind for awhile now. Have any of you ever felt the need to pray or speak to a higher power? Do any of you beleive that we were created or have evolved with a "spiritual need"?

I'm in a bit of a transition in my life, as many of you are. I wouldn't say I'm an atheist because I also at times beleive that there might be some type of higher power or energy in the universe. Since a kid I always struggled with the idea of a god the we were taught about in JW world. And I admit I am mad at " God" who ever he/she may be. But sometimes I wake up with the need to speak to a higher power. Have any of you felt this way? Please share your thoughts & experiences. Thanks!!!

• campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

Even as a fully immersed JW, i always found it hard to pray, i found the whole thing stupid. Why should we talk to God who knows everything we think, and knows everything we need before we even ask for it.

Many positive things have happened in my life recently. People have asked me "you must have prayed hard to Jehovah", and i lied and said: "yes, i prayed hard about that". Then they go on to say, "See, prayer works".

When you pray, positive things can happen. When you don't pray, positive things can happen. same can be said for the negative in our life.

This does not mean i do not believe in a higher force (god, or whatever), this just means i don't think prayer has any merit at all and is a waste of time.

I believe in a higher force that rewards us when we do kind deeds for others, and we have genuine love for others in our hearts. Most religions teach this basic idea, do good deeds to others and good deeds will be done to us. Karma.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Does God answer personal prayers, like finding a leak in a building, or providing more chickens, or getting you a new job or apartment because you asked Him? No!

Otherwise, the apostle Peter lied when he said that God was not partial! (Acts 10:34)

Why/if prayers are heard & listened to - but not answered, is for people to reconcile for themselves.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I think we have an imaginative need. And I think that is part of our evoluton. Out minds can expand and think of many fantastic things. I think mankind got derailed by the Abrahamic religions and hasn't grown out of them yet. Our spirituality is a deep desire to grow, learn, experience, and so on. I believe goups/cults like the witness cause the opposite of these things and are in fact the opposite of spiritual. They suspend all those things. Put you into a box you never fit in and tell you to stay there. And by showing how willing you are to stay that is their version of spirituality.
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Man came about as a result of an accident and exists in an insignificant part of the universe in an insignificant galaxy in an insignificant solar system on a planet that, by chance, just happens to be at about the right distance from the Sun to sustain life.

The Universe that we inhabit, although inevitable, was a happy accident too.

The Drake equation tells us that there is, in all probability, intelligent life in other parts of the universe. There is, in all probability, nothing special or unique about Man. However, due to the vastness of time and space and the limitation of speed, it is highly unlikely that we will ever have any contact with any other intelligence. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, we are alone.

There is nothing in the universe which even hints at a higher force, intelligence or purpose. In fact, the evidence points towards the opposite since it is in a constant state of flux (eg. Super novae, black holes etc). The whole idea is preposterous and even laughable.

In short, we are, effectively, alone and with no global purpose. It is therefore up to each and every one of us to find our own purpose in life because when you are dead, you are dead. So, my friends, enjoy it whilst you can for this is what there is and all there is.

• hoser
    hoser
    I hate the expression "work in harmony with your prayers ". It is pretty much saying that prayer alone isn't good enough.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Work I harmony with your prayers is the same as saying do it yourself but remember it was actually god, like the homeless starving fellow who told the old lady he could make soup out of a stone. So he started with the stone and kept asking for things and eventually just made soup that had a rock in it the prayer does nothing. You do.
  • LexIsFree
    LexIsFree

Freemindfade

Maybe that's what I am experiencing. Although I am out, I'm still mentally in that "box" religion puts us in.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

LexisFree

Maybe that's what I am experiencing. Although I am out, I'm still mentally in that "box" religion puts us in.

Religion didn't put you in a box. You did or you allowed it to happen to you. Accept that and start from there and move forward.

If your car has a flat battery - a pump is of no use.

• DJS
    DJS

No and No. Other OPs have stressed the non-religious/god aspects of 'spirituality', such as enjoying the beauty of nature, the warmth of family and friends, or appreciation for great art, music, etc.

I definitely would classify myself as 'spiritual' in the secular definition of the meaning. Having said that, spirit and spiritual are nothing more than a self induced emotional state based on internal and external stimuli. Contributing factors include memories, thoughts, experiences, nurture (how we were raised and our culture), nature (DNA) and our current mental, physical and emotional state.

Externalities contribute as well, such as being caught up in the moment at a sporting event or during a church service, for example, or the aforementioned nature, art, movie, music, etc.

That's all it is. Until someone presents evidence to the contrary (and really, people, after 100,000 years of human existence don't you think that would have already occurred if there was something unseen/supernatural?), that's all it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit