Amazing coincidence ... what are the odds!

by Simon 22 Replies latest jw friends

• omiecoop
    omiecoop

BillyGoat said:

Small world huh?

To quote comedian Steven Wright: "Yeah, but I wouldn't want to paint it!"

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

A long time ago, I was in Cozumel scuba diving and ran into this wild redneck Texan by the name of Malcolm. Now, Malcolm made friends with me instantly and had a jeep and wanted a dive partner and I ended up hanging with him and his cute blonde wife for four days until he had to go back home. On our last night, he took me out to eat at the only pizza restaurant on the island. We had some great times. We said we needed to get together and do it again. Took pictures, shook hands said goodbye.

Two years passed. We never did get back in touch with each other. Guess we were busy.

I go back to Cozumel on my second trip. I took some friends down there and told them about this good pizza place on the island that Malcolm took me to. We decided to go eat there one night. We were waiting on a table, and in through the front door walked Malcolm and his cute blonde wife. We were both flabbergasted, shocked, and glad to see each other! This time I treated him to dinner and drinks, and we had a great time. Still can hardly believe that happened. Freaky indeed.

• JanH
    JanH

Yes, amazing stories indeed.

When discussing odds or probabilities, many people ask the wrong question. Sure, the odds of that happening right then is extremely small. But since it was a fluke accident, not a predicted one, that is the wrong question. The correct question is: what is the chance of something like that happening somewhere in the world at some time? And then we realize that in a world with billions of events, the probability of something improbable happening once in a while is, indeed, very high.

- Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit