Sifted As Wheat???

by VioletAnai 16 Replies latest jw friends

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I was just pondering the scripture, but I'm not sure if it's satan who's demanded the 'faithful' to be sifted as wheat. I can't remember where the scripture is either. My question is: Why did Jehovah give in to his demands? You'd think the most powerful being in the universe could tell him where to go. If I were to DEMAND something from Jehovah, I just know what would happen....absolutely bugger all. So why does the worst being in the universe get to demand things of God! Why didn't Jesus go and demand Jah start again if he obeys his creations. Why does he need to prove his sovereignty anyway? Is he not the most powerful being in the universe? Then why does he need to prove himself to the very things he created. And I'm just going round and round in circles trying to figure it out and I'm just confusing myself and you!

Anyone have any thoughts on the scripture....or if I've got it wrong. Better yet...anyone KNOW where that scripture is?

• terafera
    terafera

I've never understood why God needs to prove his sovereignty at all. It's dumbfounding... I've mentioned in other threads, that I cant understand why God listened to Satan and went along with him when dealing with Job. I have never understood why he needed to prove himself to someone so beneath him. *sigh* Some things remain a mystery....

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

::::::::::::I have never understood why he needed to prove himself to someone so beneath him.

Absolutely. If someone criticises us or claims we're not all we're cracked up to be - well I'd admit I'd been sprung! But normally we wouldn't dignify their comment with a reply. Maybe tell em' to f off or something. But we'd hardly make loads of others suffer just to prove we're not what they said. The proof of what we are is in how we behave. OH geez even discussing this stuff is rediculous - like it ever happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• larc
    larc

Now, if I was God, which of course I am not. My wife reminds me of that fact all the time. Well, anyway, if I was, I would have simply zapped Satan a long time ago. What is with this deal of letting Satan keep on living for thousands of years? I don't get that at all. God, please use your intelligence, would ya? It would save us poor critters on earth here a lot of grief.

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Hey Marilyn how was yer trip to HK? I hope you had a good time.

Ummm, yeah, well asking these questions about the bible is helping me to sort out whether it IS inspired or NOT. I'm starting to swing your way..........but don't tell anyone, it's a secret!

• bad_associashun
    bad_associashun

is it lu 22:31 you are referring to?

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

Thanx bad_associashun,

If it's the one where Jesus says "he has demanded to have you men sifted as wheat" or something to that effect, yes....I'm at work and I don't have my bible handy so I can't check and I didn't want to be rude and not reply to you.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Of course there is a view of the bible that states that God wanted Satan to show his true colours, which is why he created man in the first place. Satan, being a sneaky little devil who went around backbiting all the time, needed ousting. See, he hadn't actually done anything to be ousted for, at that time. Ergo, the fall of Adam, the encounter with Job, and the continual dealings with mankind

View's are like grains of wheat. Plenty of them and they need sifting.

(I don't hold to the one above, incidentally )

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

I always thought it was God doing the sifting, using false prophecy as a means to test whether we were "truly" consecrated to Him, (and would work on despite disconfirmation and "disappointment) or just "fair weather" followers who would be stumbled by our disappointment of the failed expectation.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

RF:
    Another view, another dollar

BTW, your forum pic does something weird to my browser - it bombs out loading pics after it reaches yours - go figure.

Edited by - LittleToe on 25 June 2002 5:14:51

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit