Being Spiritual, What Is It?

by larc 20 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Being Spiritual, What Is It? That title looks like a Watchtower article, doesn't it? I raise this question after reading a recent thread, regarding what people believe now that they are no longer a Witness. Several people wrote that they no longer belonged to a religion, but they considered themselves to be spiritual. To me, the word, spiritual, is very fuzzy. So, I am interested in what you mean you say you are a spiritual person. I am agnostic. So, an associated question is: can atheists and agnostics be spiritual, in your opinion? I have my own opinions on this subject (as I do on almost every subject), but I would like to read other people's opinions before I give mine.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

To me, it is a moral belief with a spirit being or intelligent motivational force behind it. To be a practicing Wiccan is spiritual...so is believing in Jesus....or Allah.....really it is any man's personal definition.

ashi

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

To me spirituality is the personalization of a belief in a higher power. Spirituality doesn't rely on religion or churches it relies on the individual. There is no spirituality in religion per se' only that which its members bring to it. As far as atheists, I'm not one so I don't feel it is my place to speak for them.

gsx1138

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Interesting thought Larc.

I think being spiritual means more then believing in a higher power. I think the more you believe, the more involved you want to become in your beliefs...either sharing them or participating in spiritually upbuilding activities related to your beliefs.

Maybe that is my dub mentality kicking in. But either way...I know I'm not spiritually inclined anymore.

Beck

• Satanus
    Satanus

Maybe spirituality is the practice of manipulation of etheric energy. Is that still fuzzy? Ok, that we posess a personal type of energy, is well accepted among eastern martial artists. They call it chi, qi etc. Through practice of mind controll/visualization this energy can be used for a multitude of purposes.

Catholic saints, through austerity, praying, were able to learn some aspects. Martial artists are able sharpen skills and strengthen thier bodies. Shamans take spirit journies to get special knowledge or powers. In yoga, energy is balanced, allowed to flow, so health is improved, stress is relieved.

It's a large field. Theology usually hampers progress.

SS

• Perry
    Perry

To feel a sense of responsibility toward something greater than that to yourself.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Based on my descriptions above, acupuncture would then be a spiritual practice, since body energy is changed by shorting it out in the meridians. One could ask if sticking a bunch of needles in someone, or being the victim would be spiritual. When i had the treatments, when i was still a jw, i used to dose off with all those needles. I would feel really good upon leaving the dr's office, much better than leaving a wt meeting.

SS

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I've come to the fairly uneducated conclusion that Americans have a different understanding of spirituality to Australians. I base this on a research study of one. Me and the flight attendant I got talking to on a flight back from the US one time. She told me I was a spiritual person and although I was flattered by this comment, for some strange reason, I didn't really think it was true. I like to talk about spiritual things but I never progress to any form of belief.

In fact my whole family were never spiritual people. We had shown no interest in religion or church until the JWs came knocking. My mother thought my brother and I were little heathens so she arranged a *Bible study* with them - if you call giggling for an hour over the Paradise book a Bible study. Eventually my whole family got ropped into dubdom. But IMO my dub family are still not spiritual people. They do all the dub stuff, but somehow they lack the real spirit you see in certain people.

I have met some people who exude spirituality. I don't know what it is or where it comes from. It's weird.

Marilyn

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Spirituality has nothing to do with belief. Belief is based on words and concepts. By definition , these are limited. Spirituality means relationship. This occurs in the present instant and because all things are interconnected there is a sense of identity with "All" and therefore an end to fear and separation. This understanding puts the human condition in perspective and generates the overall aspect of Spirituality...... compassion.

• Flip
    Flip

My only concept of spirituality is making sure the big shots of the congregation see me sliding on up to the magazine counter and donating the prescribed amount of my cold hard cash for a crisp stack of fresh Watchtower and Awakes! and hittin' the street on weekends.

Whether its a street corner, the suburbs, or a Laundromat, it doesnt matter, as long as I'm floggin' those WTBTS publications and not spending an inordinate amount of time at the coffee shop, I'm a shoe in for making it as a contestant at Jehovah's finals.

Gosh ... what I wouldn't give to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses again.

Flip

Edited by - Flip on 24 June 2002 3:17:17

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit