Favorite JW Celebs!

by professor 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Why are so many celeb ex-jws are non-white? Just occurred to me when I was looking at those pics.

Well, since I don't know half of them, I'll select someone else

This is Kate Langbroek -

She is a presenter on an Australian chat show called The Panel. She and her brother recently had an article written about them in The Sydney Morning Herald, detailing their life as JWs with their Gilead-trained parents in PNG and Australia. Her wit, charm and personality makes her a great advertisement for life outside the WTS.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Selena!!! My daughter and I love her music, and would dance around the house together to it. We watched her home movies and she seemed to be a young person full of life. She was just beginning to find her way in the world and then she was gone. Very traggic. She was always laughing and smiling on the home movies and seemed very down to earth. We miss her music.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

How about adding this guy to the list?

Hank Marvin of The Shadows.

Does this date me? Too bad, this is a great guy and a great guitarist. And he's JW.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Here is another Theresa Graves from Laugh0in and Get Christy Love

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Larry Grahams......is that the actor from "My Wife and Kids"?

And, who is Viv Nicholson? Never heard of heard of her...

• Gopher
    Gopher

Scootergirl,

Larry Graham was in the music group "Sly and the Family Stone" before becoming a JW. Here is a site regarding his musical background: http://www.funkvibe.com/artists/graham/graham.htm He introduced the artist known as Prince to the JW philosophy, leading to Prince sightings at district conventions here in Minnesota the past few years.

The actor on "My Wife and Kids" is another person who grew up in a JW background: Damon Wayans. Here's the official website for that show from ABC television: http://abc.abcnews.go.com/primetime/wifeandkids/index.html

Viv Nicholson is well known in the UK, and a play called "Spend Spend Spend" is based on her book about her life. Here is a website for the play: http://www.albemarle-london.com/spend.html Here is a snippet from that site:

A new musical by Steve Brown and Justin Greene inspired by the life of Viv Nicholson from the book by Viv Nicholson and Stephen Smith. Directed by Jeremy Sams. Lighting by Mark Henderson. Choreographed by Craig Revel Horwood. Designed by Lez Brotherston. Sound by Rick Clarke.

In 1961, before The Beatles, moonwalking and the mini skirt, housewife Viv Nicholson won the first mega-jackpot on the football pools. When the papers asked Viv Nicholson what she'd do with her new fortune, her answer turned her into a household name: "I'm going to spend, spend, spend!".

Her rags to riches and back to rags story took her through five husbands, fast cars, bankruptcy and booze. She woke up spent.

This riveting new musical charts the tragedy, the comedy and the love story that is the legend of Viv Nicholson

Edited by - Gopher on 23 June 2002 9:41:53

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Viv Nicholson

A British actress see above

Edited by - Lady Lee on 23 June 2002 9:39:56

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I recall as a kid being told that the old TV actress Eve Arden was a JW although I don't know if this was a nasty dub rumor. She was a contemporary of Lucy Balls 1950 TV show, I think it was call "Our Miss Brooks". Maybe some older person here can verify. Also the jazz singer George Benzen was one. As a matter of fact I know some dubs that met him at the Kingdom hall in Hawaii. Someone commented that he couldn't have been a very good JW being an entertainer and all and I replied that he was an elder in the congregation.

Will

Edited by - William Penwell on 23 June 2002 9:52:24

• TheStar
    TheStar

I had no idea Ja Rule, The Wayans or Mikey Spillane were JWS!!

My favorite is SELENA, although I don't think she was ever baptized. She grew up in the same area I grew up in and my bestfriend in High school was a close friend of hers.

Her death is such a tragedy. I never knew there was a JW connection until her death. Her death happened just about the time I started studying in 1995. I hope her parents have sought help in getting themselves deprogrammed, because there may have been much guilt after that whole ordeal.

In the movie about her life there's a shot with her father and mother in bed, the father is talking about wanting to open up a restaurant. In that shot on the dresser is the "You can live forever in Paradise on Earth" book and that is the only mention of JWs in the movie (and only JWs would have caught it), so I wonder if they may have only studied. I heard a rumor that the father was an elder and stepped down to dedicate himself to his children's music career but I don't know if that rumor is true.

Edited to include: Who is Rustom Padilla?

Edited by - TheStar on 23 June 2002 10:7:58

Edited by - TheStar on 23 June 2002 10:10:8

• Tanalyst
    Tanalyst

False Prophet Fred Franz.

Scared the beegee's out of me as a kid, when I heard him speak at Assemblies in the 60's. You just knew God was piping the info into him.

At the start of one talk, he starts talking in Hebrew, it was so cool I paid attention for the remainder of the talk, hoping he'd do it again. No, it just was a scam to get my attention.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit