Rutherford in Revelation?

by Nowhere 4 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

Hi

I don't know where I read or heard that the trial against witnesses and/or Rutherford is mentioned in the revelation book in the bible. (according to some watchtower publication)

Is this in any way true? And if it if, where can I read about it?

• JanH
    JanH

Nowhere,

You are correct.

I am sure your friendly neighbourhood dubs will be delighted to give you the book "Revelation -- It's Great Climax is at Hand!" which is the WTS' current interpretatiin of the Book of Revelation. I wish I could say it was the silliest interpretation of Revelation ever, but it's certainly up there with the classics.

Essentially, until the 1930s the WTS interpreted the Book of Revelation in the historicist tradition, attributing various symbols to the reformation and other events in the history of Christianity. After then, the WTS has insisted that the powerful symbolics in this books finds its fulfillment in the events where Rutherford & gang seiced power in the WTS, got rid of unwanted internal opposition, and found themself jailed when their religious opponents were able to convince the US government that the vile attacks on (among others) the military was indeed sedation under the US espionage act. The conviction was later overturned and the govt didn't pursue the matter further in a somewhat more sober post-wwi climate.

It is particularly amusing to see how the seven trumpet blasts in Revelation are attributed to seven tiny conventions organized by Rutherford in and around the 1920s, where they issued certain "proclamations" saying, essentially, how they hated everybody else and that God would slaughter them Real Soon Now.

Yes, this is still how the WTS interpretes the Revelation.

- Jan

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

they claim to be the two witnesses, prophets, who prophesy in rev 11:3, 6.........yet if you ask them about failed prophecys, and deut 18:20, they claim they are not prophets........... but if you ask them why you have to be in subjection to them, they claim it's because they are appointed by god to be these two witnesses who prophesy.......... but if you ask them about all their failed prophecys, ........and deut 18:20, they claim they are not prophets who prophesy.......... but if you ask them why you should be in subjection to them, they claim it's cause because jesus cleansed the temple in 1914-1918 and appointed them to be the 2 prophets who prophesy............but if you ask them about failed predictions and deut 18:20 they claim they are not prophets who prophesy..........................(gov body speak with forked tounge)

• abbagail
    abbagail

Crawdad2, I am dying laughing at your post!!!!!! Tickle me silly and LOL!

"Repetition is the Mother of Retention..."

Remember that one in the school? Well, you certainly learned it well. If we don't "get it" the first time, just repeat it over and over and over... Crack me up.

You done good!
    -----

JanH: Thanks for a little history reminder. I remember liking the Rev book for the most part. It certainly was exciting. But I DO remember feeling uneasy about some of it in the sense that it felt like they were "trying too hard" to make scriptures "fit" to the anointed. I remember trying to figure out why it bothered me, so I would ask myself during that book study, "Am I jealous of the anointed or something?" Then I would answer myself, "No, not at all, 'cuz I could care less about going to heaven.. I crave the earth." "So why does this bother me, then?" I would wonder to myself. (I can't remember which parts that bothered me -- over 12 years ago, but I distinctly remember the gut feeling of, "Awwwww, can this really be so???," etc.)

I'm amazed at the good memories you guys have!

Later/GRITS

• abbagail
    abbagail

Sorry, this post is a goof up.

Edited by - GRITS on 24 June 2002 4:5:7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit