WT September 2015 (Public edition) - We never petition for Money

by Designer Stubble 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    Page 6 of the September 2015 Public WT, under the heading "How is our ministry financed"

Our work is supported entirely by voluntary donations. (2 Corinthians 9:7) In 1879, the second issue of this magazine stated: “‘Zion’s Watch Tower’ [as this magazine was then called] has, we believe JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support.” We have not wavered from that policy.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

So while they begged for money in the May broadcast, I guess technically they can say that the Watchtower magazine itself didn't do the begging...

• sir82
    sir82

Chutzpah!

Funny, there is no invitation in that Watchtower for the public to view ol' Rubber Lips' pleas for $$$ in the May JW TV broadcast. Go figure.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    The Governing Body know that the brothers and sisters never read the public edition, therefore they feel safe printing the contradiction. You won't find that comment in the Study version
  • blondie
    blondie

When my hubbie did accounts, he was directed by the COBOE to be sure to read the letters thanking the bros and sis for their donation (that may have changed with the abbreviation of the meetings). He was told he would "remind" and "encourage" them to donate again. Do the read and/or post the accounts report any more? Will they show it to jws that ask to see it?

I remember in some congregations that 1) put a small donation box by the mag/lit pickup area (when there was a bro there and the do-it-yourself arrangement) 2) they tried putting donation boxes in the congregation book study locations,,,,not a penny given. They used to have time slips put there too.

My hubbie says that disgruntled jws vote with their pocketbook/wallet.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    When they did away with the "Announcements" part, the organization still wanted the Accounts report to be read monthly.
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Blondie: I think they just post the accounts report on the bulletin board. I remember in Brooklyn, we had a small donation box in the home and I'd have to count it with the conductor and then hold onto the money and the receipt until the meeting later that week.

That reminds, did anyone know that apparently 'bulletin board' is a bad word for JW's? Something about the catholic church using it.

• sir82
    sir82

They still read the accounts report, but it is highly abbreviated and simplified, compared to years past.

"For the month of X, we received donations of $Y and had expenses of $Z. At the end of the month our bank account has $W"

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen
    Barrold B, Yup, bulletin board is a no no. Cant't be like Catholics except for ATMs. The GB gives them a dispensation I mean exception. :)
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

In our cong they have stopped reading the account reports. I can't tell you exactly when or and if this is the accepted practice. Some time in 2013 all male publishers were summoned to a special meeting. At the time, the cong may have been running low on funds because the meeting was to let us know that they were short on cash for that month. I naively suggested to the elder, in front of everyone present, that may be I had missed it, but I do not recall the accounts report. I told him exactly what blondie said, that may be that would remind everyone of the status of the accounts. He said the org had said (although this was just his word) to no longer read them and just post them to the board. I can tell you that the accounts report has not been read from the platform in a very long time in our case.

In the local needs this week, we got a talk (apparently commanded from the mothership) to remind everyone the importance of the last broadcast. Yes, the one where Mr Lett said they needed money. His direct words were quoted on the talk and then a letter was read. Just as blondie mentioned, is that letter where people are reminded of how much they appreciate the donations. This time it was for the KH construction fund. They read the amount and everything. $500 exactly. This is the agreed upon donation that will be send to the society for eternity. Not sure that most of the brothers present realized that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit