MISSING POSTS@Silent Lambs! WHY?

by abbagail 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Everyone: I just made my daily visit to the Silent Lambs Guestbook, and it appears ALL posts from June 14,15,16,17 (and maybe some from June 18) have Disappeared. I have no knowledge whatsoever of HOW websites work, but if any of you do, would you please educate the rest of us?

According to some recent posts, Bill Bowen and/or the webmaster HAVE been notified of the missing posts, but there is yet any sort of response posted to the Guestbook from Bill and/or the webmaster as to how/why this occurred. Some of the posters there are feeling a bit paranoid about it, and I personally am dying of curiosity...

The questions I would have about it are below, if anyone has experience in running a website (like Simon, etc.):

1. Was it merely a technical failure in the website that would cause the posts to disappear?
    2. Are there backup copies of all posts somewhere, so that they may be re-posted by the webmaster? (I certainly hope so).
    3. Is it really possible that outsiders can somehow "hack into" the Silent Lambs website and "purposely" remove posts without the webmaster's knowledge?
    4. Due to the "paranoia" of some, and the curiosity of myself, is it possible the Watchtower Society could somehow "hack into" the site and remove posts?

The company that runs the website (as found in the EMAIL section of Silent Lambs) is: "Site maintained by Communication Services Company. If you find a link broken or a page not working e mail [email protected]"

Thanks for any insight from you "smarter people" out there! ;)

GRITS

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Just a guess but if it was all the most recent posts then it sounds like they had a system crash and had to use the most recent backup to restore the system.

If anyone hacked into the system I suspect they would have tried to do a lot more damage than a few posts in the guestbook

JMO

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi LadyLee: Thanks for the input. I'm assuming web companies have backups of all the posts, and can re-post them? Hope so.

And that makes sense about hacking: If someone wanted to really mess things up, there are lots of other posts on there I'd think they would have erased.

All of the posts re: the Newsweek article were wiped out. Bummer.

GRITS

• Simon
    Simon
    1. Was it merely a technical failure in the website that would cause the posts to disappear?

Yes, a technical failure could do this

2. Are there backup copies of all posts somewhere, so that they may be re-posted by the webmaster? (I certainly hope so).

This would depend on the backup procedures for that site.

3. Is it really possible that outsiders can somehow "hack into" the Silent Lambs website and "purposely" remove posts without the webmaster's knowledge?

Yes, this is possible. Again, it depends on the code for the site and the hosting company as to how difficult it would be.

4. Due to the "paranoia" of some, and the curiosity of myself, is it possible the Watchtower Society could somehow "hack into" the site and remove posts?

I doubt they would be so dumb as to risk doing this directly themselves. However, some of their 'supporters' can excuse any action in their minds - even illegal activity so it is possible.

Most likely it is just a glitch and Bill is probably too busy to deal with it right away. It does take a lot of time and effort running a web-site esp. when you allow user contributions (even just a guest-book) and Bill is not a full time IT person and does a lot of work for SilentLambs.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Hi Simon! Thanks very much for your quick response & expertise/opinions on this.

So it IS possible all the posts were lost.... That would be tooooo bad.

Your comment re: WT "supporters" might having the wherewithal to do such a thing -- interesting... (and would be pretty sad indeed).

Re: your answer to my #4 question: Yes, I can imagine running a website is like a full-time job. Not really understanding how it works, I thought another company entirely "ran the website" and that Bill (possibly) did not have to do the website work. (??? but I have no idea, really).

By "hosting" do you mean that Bill "does" run the website himself and do whatever work is required in running a website; and this other company (Communication Services Company) just "hosts" it? (Not sure what that means, but I don't expect a Webmaster Education right here and now). ;)

I wish there was something I could do. I have the time (am home all the time), but I sure don't know a hill-o-beans about running/overseeing/whatever a website.

Thanks again for the reply!

GRITS

• Simon
    Simon

You normally pay for a hosting company to provide the server, the connection to the internet, backups etc... and then it is up to you what you put on it and how the content is maintained. I don't know how much of this Bill does himself.

There is a difference between a static website which stays as it is when you upload the content and a dynamic application which 'does something' and allows you to interact with it. With added features comes complecity and more potential for errors or problems.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Thanks again, Simon, for the extra clarification and terminology/description of how websites work. I like getting educated in small-dosages. That way my brain can comprehend a little at a time. ;)

I feel bad for the burden Bill must be carrying. He's got his hands full, I'm sure, and the website is just one small part of the entire "silent lambs crusade." I'm sure when he has time, he will send around an email and/or a post to the Guestbook letting everybody know what happened.

One last question: Someone wrote on the Guestbook that we should all re-post our messages from the past few days... Would your educated-opinion think that's a good idea, or should we wait to see if the hosting company will repost from their backup copies? (if they have them, that is) and/or wait until we hear from Bill? I would hate to put a bunch of duplicate stuff on there if eventually the posts will be reposted by the webmaster, etc.

Thanks for your time on this!
    GRITS

Edited by - GRITS on 19 June 2002 10:17:28

PS: Kent at Watchtowerobserver says that Bill Bowen is on vacation. So he probably is not even aware about the glitch at the SL website.

Edited by - GRITS on 19 June 2002 11:14:59

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit