Stratton Residents on door-to-door decision

by Dogpatch 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/06/18/scotus.jehovah.switne.ap/index.html

Residents not concerned about ruling in favor of Jehovah's Witnesses

June 18, 2002 Posted: 6:42 AM EDT (1042 GMT)

STRATTON, Ohio (AP) -- In a town this small, it's easy to tell who doesn't belong.

That's why residents in this 287-person Ohio River hamlet say they're not too worried about Monday's Supreme Court decision striking down a local ordinance that required anyone going door-to-door to get a permit.

Mayor John Abdalla will still be able to spot uninvited solicitors, locals say.

"If we see outsiders in town, we'll call him up and let him know," said Christy Weaver, 26, who works at Abdalla's Tavern, a steakhouse the mayor owns. "That's the way things are done around here."

By a vote of 8-1, the high court held that the Constitution guarantees religious groups, politicians, Girl Scouts and others the right to knock on doors without stopping at town hall for permission.

The decision came in a challenge of a village ordinance that had for decades required salesmen to get permits. In 1998 the village extended it to all doorstep solicitors.

Jehovah's Witnesses challenged the law, saying it violated their free speech rights, and the justices agreed, calling the ordinance "offensive, not only to the values protected by the First Amendment but to the very notion of a free society."

Word of the decision spread fast through the eastern Ohio village.

The phone rang all morning at the mayor's tavern, and everyone had opinions about the ruling.

"Everybody has the right to practice their own religion, but I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to push it on you from your own doorstep," Judy Lucas, 59, said as she stood behind the bar puffing on cigarettes.

At the indoor swimming pool down the street, swim coach Sandy Racz, who has lived in Stratton for 25 years, couldn't believe the ruling.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Racz, 44, exclaimed, rolling her eyes. "It's not really violating their free speech rights, because they can still tell us what they want, they just have to tell us who they are."

Residents still will be able to put their names on a no-solicitation list that will prevent all canvassers -- including Jehovah's Witnesses -- from stopping by their homes, said Frank Bruzzese, the town's law director.

"That ordinance was unscathed. It survived the court," he said, noting that he will review the court's decision to see if any part of the registration ordinance can remain.

Dee Goddard, who regularly worships with Jehovah's Witnesses, said she was not surprised by the court's ruling.

"We had enough faith to believe that they would see this was a violation of our constitutional rights," Goddard, 66, said while standing in her back yard, taking a break from cleaning her house. "The only thing that surprised us was that this case was about little bitty Stratton."

Despite village officials' claims to the contrary, Goddard and her granddaughter Theresa Hendricks said they believe the ordinance targeted Jehovah's Witnesses.

"They're not out to hurt anyone," said Hendricks, 32, a Methodist. "They're not scary. They're just people with a message." The denomination requires doorstep proselytizing.

Paula Suhan, 51, sipped a drink at Mobley's Bar and Grill and said she's scared to answer the door and probably will be even more now that no one will know who is knocking on her door.

"People have a right to talk to people in a public situation but not a private situation," she said. "So, don't knock on my door. I don't want to talk to you. I won't answer it."

The mayor said he simply wanted to protect elderly residents from scam artists by having the names and affiliations of canvassers on record.

Melinda Martin, 29, said village officials still will know who's in town.

"Some older people here who don't have much to do call the mayor any time they see a car or a person they don't recognize," the nine-year Stratton resident said. "Word spreads here."

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press.

STRATTON, Ohio (AP) -- In a town this small, it's easy to tell who doesn't belong.

That's why residents in this 287-person Ohio River hamlet say they're not too worried about Monday's Supreme Court decision striking down a local ordinance that required anyone going door-to-door to get a permit.

Mayor John Abdalla will still be able to spot uninvited solicitors, locals say.

"If we see outsiders in town, we'll call him up and let him know," said Christy Weaver, 26, who works at Abdalla's Tavern, a steakhouse the mayor owns. "That's the way things are done around here."

By a vote of 8-1, the high court held that the Constitution guarantees religious groups, politicians, Girl Scouts and others the right to knock on doors without stopping at town hall for permission.

The decision came in a challenge of a village ordinance that had for decades required salesmen to get permits. In 1998 the village extended it to all doorstep solicitors.

Jehovah's Witnesses challenged the law, saying it violated their free speech rights, and the justices agreed, calling the ordinance "offensive, not only to the values protected by the First Amendment but to the very notion of a free society."

Word of the decision spread fast through the eastern Ohio village.

The phone rang all morning at the mayor's tavern, and everyone had opinions about the ruling.

"Everybody has the right to practice their own religion, but I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses have the right to push it on you from your own doorstep," Judy Lucas, 59, said as she stood behind the bar puffing on cigarettes.

At the indoor swimming pool down the street, swim coach Sandy Racz, who has lived in Stratton for 25 years, couldn't believe the ruling.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Racz, 44, exclaimed, rolling her eyes. "It's not really violating their free speech rights, because they can still tell us what they want, they just have to tell us who they are."

Residents still will be able to put their names on a no-solicitation list that will prevent all canvassers -- including Jehovah's Witnesses -- from stopping by their homes, said Frank Bruzzese, the town's law director.

"That ordinance was unscathed. It survived the court," he said, noting that he will review the court's decision to see if any part of the registration ordinance can remain.

Dee Goddard, who regularly worships with Jehovah's Witnesses, said she was not surprised by the court's ruling.

"We had enough faith to believe that they would see this was a violation of our constitutional rights," Goddard, 66, said while standing in her back yard, taking a break from cleaning her house. "The only thing that surprised us was that this case was about little bitty Stratton."

Despite village officials' claims to the contrary, Goddard and her granddaughter Theresa Hendricks said they believe the ordinance targeted Jehovah's Witnesses.

"They're not out to hurt anyone," said Hendricks, 32, a Methodist. "They're not scary. They're just people with a message." The denomination requires doorstep proselytizing.

Paula Suhan, 51, sipped a drink at Mobley's Bar and Grill and said she's scared to answer the door and probably will be even more now that no one will know who is knocking on her door.

"People have a right to talk to people in a public situation but not a private situation," she said. "So, don't knock on my door. I don't want to talk to you. I won't answer it."

The mayor said he simply wanted to protect elderly residents from scam artists by having the names and affiliations of canvassers on record.

Melinda Martin, 29, said village officials still will know who's in town.

"Some older people here who don't have much to do call the mayor any time they see a car or a person they don't recognize," the nine-year Stratton resident said. "Word spreads here."

Copyright 2002 The Associated Press.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi dogpatch,

i feel sorry for jws.......... their gov body cares nothing about them at all.......... everyone knows how dangerous it is for people to go door to door......... can you imagine 2 attractive sisters going door to door, in these times?....... they could get raped and killed! (and they do) .......... yet, the gov body sends them forth.......

the gov body deems them spiritually dead, if they don't go door to door,....... yet, if they are assaulted or sued,,,,,,, the gov body tells them to handle it on their own... ........in fact, if they are raped, they will likely be disfellowshipped.

Edited by - crawdad2 on 18 June 2002 13:12:36

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

WBTS fights for freedom of speach,but will not allow it within their own membership.If they could,they would take away everyones freedom of speach.How do you spell hypocrites.....W..B..T..S...OUTLAW

• julien
    julien

I think apostates should drive around until they see a JW car group. Then just work the territory in plain view of the witlesses. Or get a list of JW houses, go call on them with the latest apostate literature.

Then we will see how much the JWs REALLY care about protecting free speech.

• Andyman
    Andyman

Excellent idea Julien!

Get address of all the active JW's in the area and then go to "their" homes early in the morning, before they get out, and pass out print outs from the net on things like the UN, child molestation, blood, etc. Also be sure and go to their homes right before they are ready to go to the hall in the evenings and do the same thing, and during supper, and breakfast, and ....!

Take care.

Andyman:

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Hey All,

Look at this way. If is wasn't for JW's fighting in the Supreme Court, then we would not be post on this site.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Fred....huh? To be perfectly honest, the WTBTS would just LOVE to shut down sites like this. They have nothing to do with discussion boards on the internet.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

Good point Fred!

LMAO

Lizard

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Fred,do you really think WBTS likes this site?If they had the power,do you think they would shut this place down?You know what the truthfull answers are.WBTS do`s not like freedom of speach,except when it applys to them.They are hypocrates and you know it...OUTLAW

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

Hey,

YOu must understand many religion filed in as "Friend of the Court" I know the ACLJ supported the Watcthower a pro-conservative Christian Law group who has a daily radio show on Chrsitian Radio. Many of Christian groups also saw it as a violation. So the Watchtower got more support in different place than.

I think I am going to ask the Supreme Court a question though. If Jehovah's Witness are protected by free speaach under our Consitution, does the law also require them to informed me if a JW is convicted child molestor, rapist murder, etc? I guess disclosing those facts will also violate the perps right to privatcy while scoping for thier next victim.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit