Can I get an explanation

by Bang 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Bang
    Bang

Comforter started a thread stating how ex-jws won't go from door to door. My own hearing is that people aren't supposed to. "do not go from house to house"

Surely the wtbts has a prepared explanation for this. Can anyone tell me?

Bang

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Its quite simple really Bang.

Comforter is a false prophet, he is trying to start up his own cult. He thinks he is Charles Manson.

• Bang
    Bang

So nearly everyone here went door to door even though it is said "do not go from house to house", and nobody has arguments for why?

Bang

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

It's been a while since I was a dub, so my knowledge could be a bit shakey.

Where does it say "do not go from house to house"? If I would have known this, it would have changed everything.

EK

• Bang
    Bang

[Luke 10:7.23] And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages; do not go from house to house.

Bang

• Elders_Kid
    Elders_Kid

I don't want to sound like I am in support of the borg, but I believe that you have taken this quote out of context.

While the scripture does say "do not go from house to house", I believe that is reffering to an employee/employer relationship. If you were working for a person in one house, you would stay there with them, eating what they provide, until the work is completed. Once that is accomplished then you could move to another place. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure that this is what it is talking about.

EK

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Go HtoH, don't go HtoH...you can find support for anything and everything in scripture. Depends what you are looking for. Me? I have been catching up on reading that has been denied me for most of my life. Ever read Dicken's Great Expectations? Wonderful example of the art which humans are capable of producing, and I didn't have a single argument with anyone over the writings...a welcome change of pace.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hey Homebuthiding:

" ... and I didn't have a single argument with anyone over the writings...a welcome change of pace."

Yea, Verily!!! Nor did you have to read some cock-eyed religious summary by a brain-dead idiot to tell you what it meant, and why you should not like it, how bad it is, and why you need to go door-to-door telling others not to like it.

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Amen, Amaz!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Regarding Luke 10:

Jesus in instructing the 70 disciples that he sent out to preach the good news of God's kingdom was emphasing the primacy of the message and to TRUST in God to back their work. Thus he instructed the disciples to not take along foodstuffs, etc.

He emphasizes that when they find a household which accepts their peaceful greeting and admits them into hear their message and to be taught, that they should accept what the householder provides. He says "for the workers are worthy of their wages" (not to define an employer/employee relationship) but to indicate to them that they should have no shame in accepting this hospitality for indeed they are worthy to receive such in doing God's work. He further admonishes "not to transfer from house to house" (NWT) or as quoted about "do not go from house to house" to emphasize that they should not be seeking BETTER ACCOMODATIONS elsewhere for if the householder is willing to listen and to give them a place to stay etc. the disciples should be satisfied with whatever is provided and to do God's work, the primary mission.

This scripture does NOT prohibit the "door-to-door" or "house-to-house" work that Witnesses engage in.

Likewise, however, the popular "supporting" scripture at Acts 20:20 cited by Witnesses does not describe the Witnesses' method of teaching. As the NWT Reference Bible indicates and as many other translations indicate the phrase "from house to house" is also properly translated as "in the houses".

Paul thus in describing the many facets of his ministry indicates that on some occasions he was able to preach and teach in certain persons homes, privately to the household.

This again however does NOT indicate an endorsement of the method of ministry that Witnesses engage in today.

The FACT is that there is nothing at all in the Bible that gives a pattern of ministry that is a model for the Witnesses' "house-to-house" "door-to-door" method of ministry.

All accounts of Jesus' ministry describe either very public teachings such as on the hillsides, from upon the water to the shore, in the Temple, etc. or else they depict very intimate gatherings. Likewise the disciples were encouraged to follow Jesus' example and they did, including Paul and the other apostles and early congregations.

It should be pointed out that there is nothing that Scripturally prohibits the modern Witnesses method of ministry and since we have found this to be useful there is nothing wrong with it per se.

However, anyone who has been part of the organization understands how this method is given the appearance (in the least) as being Biblical and more importantly from a org. cultural viewpoint it is consider essential to the character and fullfillment of being a modern Jehovah's Witness.

--Eduardo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit