What was your dream?

by ashitaka 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Did being a Witness hurt, hamper, or help your dreams? Did you want to be a dancer? An actor? A mother?

Did you lose your dreams being a Witness? Did you ever get them back and accomplish them, or did they change into something else?

I always thought I was going to be a talented writer, but alas, reality crept up on me. It takes more than money and love to keep a marriage healthy. It takes time. And as any writer knows, it takes eons to write just a few pages sometimes. I prefer to please my wife forever than sacrifice her to my selfish dreams.

I do have great ideas, and have a skillful style that I enjoy to read (I don't hate my writing, perhaps I'm not an artist). And now, I'm feeling the dream cool off, and wondering if it's the right thing to do. I'm wondering if my lack of dreams is causing me anxiety and fear; of being just Ashi for the rest of my life, leaving without putting a permanent mark on the world. Like a cat spraying a corner of the garage.

ashi

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I often said that my problem is I am still young enough to have dreams....but old enough to know better.

However I am stll trying to accomplish mine...seems as though I dont learn.

Of coarse I am single and dont have to worry about hurting the one I care about....If you feel that strongly about her then..I say she is one lucky lady.

Spice

• myself
    myself

I am fulfilling my dream, by just being happy.I do not feel a need to leave a permanent mark in the world. I try to do the little things that make people go "wow that was nice." I do it in ways that doesn't hinder my own well being or that of my family. How often do we really stop and think about those who left their marks on the world. We tend to think more about those who are dear to us. I know we can't make everyone happy, but isn't it nice to cause someone to smile and brighten up their day. It doesn't cost anything to give a smile, a greeting, or a listening ear when it is needed.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Ashi,

You already have and continue to leave a positive "mark" on the world around you. There can be a certain dignity in taking ordinary things and doing them extraordinarily well. Like being a husband, being a father, maybe winning a bowling trophy or an amateur poetry contest.

But back to your thread about "dreams". Here in Minnesota, the weather changes constantly and is a major part of people's lives. So the TV weatherman (or the behind-the-scenes meteorologist) can alternately be goat and hero. When I was young, it was what I wanted to be. My parents even took me on a public tour of the local "National Weather Service" bureau.

However in later years, the JW reality (college being discouraged) set in, and so I didn't pursue the career of my dreams. However, I did find an outlet for the combination of creativity and logic that somehow I was born with: I got into the field of computer programming (otherwise known as software engineering or software development), and was able to do so after going to trade school for less than a year.

• Xander
    Xander

Did being a witness hamper my dreams?

Well, YEAH.

Did anyone leave that org without it leaving some permanent scar?

I've narrowed them down some, I suppose. I guess I could maybe achieve some small part of what I had wanted. If circumstances changed, it's possible.

*sigh* Ah, well. It's my own damn fault, I suppose. It's not like people didn't TRY and help me see how ridiculous the JWs were. I was just too arrogant to listen. I knew *I* had the truth. Blahblahblah.

• Pierced Angel
    Pierced Angel

It's taken time to just remember what dreams I had for myself back before I started to see it all as a waste of time anyhow. I am now a writer, making a living off of doing what I love. I could have gone to college and had things easier though, but I feel a certain satisfaction having plodded along without it and still making a career for myself.

I'll never be able to forget being told I was gifted and watching my parents ask the elders if it would be ok for me to participate in a special class for this. They said it would make me think too much of myself and that it would make me want to go after a worldly career, etc.

I wish I could have taken dance lessons or some sports that would have boosted my self esteem. Not that I don't dance now, but I'd love to move gracefully and know how to do the splits, stuff like that. LOL

Just live it up now, there's no reason to give up just because you're older. I did learn how to Tango and do the Rhumba.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I too wanted to be a writer, but I realised that few writers in Australia actually make a living from it, and so I looked for a more practical idea.

I loved cooking, and so I wanted to be either a pastry chef, or a chef in a restaurant. But the hours you have to work in the hospitality business are at odds with meeting attendance and field service, so I decided against that too.

I wasn't allowed to go to college, so any career requiring a university degree was out of the question too.

At the moment, I am concentrating on making a new life for myself now that I'm out of the JWs. I would like to do a different job to what I am currently doing, but I am not prepared to commence full-time study again.

So I am just concentrating on living a happy life, loving the people that mean most to me, and enjoying the freedom of being out of the WTS.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi ashi,

Considering that my childhood prior to the JW invasion was filled to the brim with fairy tails and fantasies, I actually thought I would be a mermaid. Then Tinker Bell looked good because she could fly. Later I wanted to do ballet or do professional dancing. When I was very small, I could memorize Patsy Cline songs and sang them wherever and whenever anyone would listen. (Believe it or not, country music was it, in those days, and all we all was a radio.) The one time I had a chance to actually sing WITH HER in person, at a country carnival, I froze up and shrank back behind my parents. (I was only four or five at the time.)

I was a crazy little kid trying to get attention any way I could, and at the same time, I was quite shy. I had a very vivid imagination and was very creative. My dad had wanted a boy, so I climbed trees, built forts, flew down the road on my bike while standing on top of the seat! Gosh, through the eyes of a child, things were so simple then. I still have some of the scars.

The real world hit me like a ton of bricks, and while I was trying to learn how to deal with the realities of puberty, along came the Jdubs. I was an honor student in junior and senior high, and could have gone to college. My career choice was being a doctor or a nurse at the time. My grandparents were horrified that I wanted to go door to door instead, so they just kept the money they were going to give me to help me get started. I now had a different mission, and I was special. I had a reall sense of belonging and acceptance. I was blindsided and could see nothing but this "truth" of JW's for the next eight years. Then the disallusionment set it over doctrine, unanswered questions, and no joy. Then I was married and had a child, so my occupation was already set for awhile.

Reality bites and there wasn't any vaccine for that! I suppose, all in all, my experiences have made me who I am today. I don't feel really deprived. My good education, back when High school was still as tough as college is now, prepared me to get good clerical/accounting jobs.

When I retire I will probably continue to write. I also do prose and poetry, and have kept personal journals since 1984. This was a big thing that helped me get through the terrible times of self analysis and self discovery. During the lean times I made clothing for friends, and did water color and oil paintings, free hand. The money I made put food on the table and shoes on our feet.

I'm really not unhappy with what could have been. No use going that direction, since I am moving forward. The past is the past, but the future is whatever you want it to be.

If you have a dream, then follow that dream. You won't know if you don't try, will you?

Karen/Sentinel

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

it didn't hamper my dreams. i always wanted to be a writer or artist. i went to college, got a degree and becamse a sucessful writer, illustrator and (recently) a web developer. i also had a beautiful son shortly after i left, and he has brought me immeasurable joy. nothing on earth can compare with the fulfillment of being a mother. i have no regrets in life, except for getting involved with the witnesses. being a mother has made me put some other dreams on hold, like traveling to tibet or living in soho or greenwich village, but i will do that when he goes to college and my immediate responsibilty is done. the secret is finding happiness in the simple things - you can never be disappointed.

Edited by - Incense_and_Peppermints on 17 June 2002 21:37:49

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

When I was a kid my dream was to go to university and learn to work with abused kids. Well my mother forced me to quit high school after grade 10 and stay home to take care of my sister and 2 brothers while she went to work. We were dubs at the time. So between her wanting me to quit school and the dub view of college and univ I gave up my dream

During my incarceration as a JW I learned sign language. After I left the dubs I got a few jobs in the deaf community but was told I needed to get qualified so I went to college as a mature student - after 16 yrs out of school and no high school diploma. I was scared but gave a couple of courses a try and did quite well so enrolled full time.

Half way through my first year I realized I really wanted to get into counseling - my old dream and shifted my focus from the disabled to the abused. Despite being told I was stupid and would never amount to anything I graduated with honors. The week before I graduated I had my papers for a non-profit organization to provide support services to adult survivors of abuse.

Then I tackled university. I sometimes wonder how I did it full time student, part time work, raising two teens, and doing my own recovery work and running a company.

My dream came true.

I too wrote a lot as a kid and although it wasn't my main dream I did think of it a lot. My mother and I would say our lives were the stuff movies were made of. Although I have no desire to write a movie I do have an e-book of my poetry that was sold on the net. And I am working on my autobiography

Edited by - Lady Lee on 18 June 2002 8:11:20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit