Newsweek Is Covering WT Sex Abuse Scandal

by abbagail 4 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• abbagail
    abbagail

Not sure WHY the entire post did not print/show up???? I will try again/grits
    -------
    Newsweek's webpage: <[url] http://www.msnbc.com/news/NW-front_Front.asp>;
    [/URL]

The above Newsweek home page had this info near the bottom:

Web Exclusives
    Health & Lifestyle
    *U.S. Biships (sic): Day of Atonement
    *Another Religion Faces a Scandal
    -----
    < http://www.msnbc.com/news/767800.asp?cp1=1>;

Witness To Shame
    Ripple effects: Another religion faces a scandal of its own

By Julie Scelfo
    NEWSWEEK

June 24 issue As Roman Catholic bishops issued a mea culpa last week, Jehovah's Witnesses, a cloistered group of 980,000, moved closer to facing a sex-abuse scandal of their own. In January a woman from Sacramento, Calif., filed a lawsuit charging that church leaders knowingly failed to notify civil authorities that she was raped by a member of her congregation.

A FORMER CHURCH leader in Maryland was indicted in February for sexually assaulting three women who say they were told by elders not to report the abuse, and were excommunicated when they did. After additional stories aired recently on TV, a victims' support group run by William H. Bowen was deluged with e-mails and phone calls. "Catholics only protect the priests. Jehovah's Witnesses do it for any member of the church," says Bowen, a former elder from Kentucky.

Sara Poisson says that prior to her husband's conviction for sexually abusing her daughters, church elders told her to "pray more and be a better wife." Church spokesman J. R. Brown says the group instructs local leaders to notify police when required by law. They also conduct their own investigation: "That consists of going directly to the accused." If someone confesses, says Brown, he will be prohibited from going door-to-doorunless accompanied by another Witness. Brown points out that people who accuse the church are often lapsed Witnesses, and "open prey" for exploiters. But victims like Poisson's daughter, Heather Berry, 20, say it's the church that does the exploiting. "They're letting the kids down. I don't think there's anything Christian about allowing abuse to continue."

2002 Newsweek, Inc.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Hello! Here are all the links if you want to contact Newsweek and have your say about their current article and/or upcoming print coverage... I already posted the article and this info on Silent Lambs, w/cc to Bill Bowen, just in case.
    ---------
    < http://www.msnbc.com/modules/newswe...o_contactus.asp>;

Contact Us:

Newsweek.MSNBC.com
    * Editorial questions and comments: Send a direct email to: [email protected]
    * For questions about the website: [email protected]

Newsweek Domestic Edition
    * Letters to the Editor for the U.S. PRINT EDITION: [email protected]
    * Mailing Address: Newsweek, 251 W. 57th St., New York, NY 10019

Newsweek International Editions
    * Letters to the Editor: [email protected]

Newsweek Subscriptions
    * U.S./Domestic Subscriptions Services
    * International Subscription Services

-------

Newsweek Feedback page, for Letters to Editor, Online Mail Call, and Live Talk, concerning current and/or recent issues: < http://www.msnbc.com/news/NW-feedback_Front.asp?0nw=n2a>;

-----

Newsweek: E-Mail the Editors, Online Form Here:
    < http://www.msnbc.com/modules/Newswe.../nwfeedback.asp>;
    Use this page to send a complaint, compliment or suggestion about our coverage:
    Comments
    Your name
    Your hometown
    Your e-mail address
    Thanks for your e-mail. While we appreciate your feedback, we don't publish the full text of letters sent to the site. We do, however, forward mail to appropriate editors and reporters for the domestic and international editions and to Web editors and writers. (Obscene, personally insulting or otherwise inappropriate mail is deleted.) In addition, on Fridays we publish Online Mail Call, a summary of the mail we receive about both print-edition stories and Web-exclusive reports.

-----

Newsweek: Submit a Story Here, & Other Pertinent Info:
    < http://www.msnbc.com/modules/newswe...winfo_about.asp>;

Newsweek Information

Site FAQ: How to send a story, use the archives and other information.

Contact Us: How to send complaints, compliments, questions and concerns.

Submitting 'My Turn': Directions for submitting a 'My Turn' piece for publication in Newsweek magazine.

Pressroom: An inside look at what Newsweek is telling the media about what's hot in this week's issue.

Rights and Reprint Sales: For color reprints of Newsweek articles or if you'd like to reprint Newsweek material in a book, another magazine, on a Web site or for a classroom, these are the details you need.

Newsweek ON AIR: The magazine's weekly radio interviews with newsmakers and correspondents.

Terms, Conditions and Privacy: The fine print; important reading for all users.

-----

Newsweek: Save this link for AFTER the story hits the newsstands, and then go back and read Feedback and/or Live Talk, etc.:

< http://www.msnbc.com/news/NW-FEEDBACK_Front.asp#TALK>;

-----

PPS: I heard about this via an email group, wherein someone wrote: "Erica Rodriguez (Dateline) ... said to keep your eyes out for the latest editions of NEWSWEEK Magazine. Apparently the next two issues will have more information on the WT pedophile cover-ups. The July edition may be a front page piece." So I went to the Newsweek site and found the short article online, already posted. If anybody gets the print edition, let us know!!!

Edited by - GRITS on 17 June 2002 6:41:10

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks for the info Grits!!!!

I have been in contact with David France, a reporter, at Newsweek with others. He is a reporter who specializes in abuse/religion. He may pass your messages onto the editor. I will be giving him a thank you.

d[email protected]

If you Email him he will pass your comments on to the editor.

A better link for the article can be found here

http://www.msnbc.com/news/767800.asp

hawk

Edited by - hawkaw on 17 June 2002 8:22:12

Edited by - hawkaw on 17 June 2002 9:31:48

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

Thanks Grits!

• snapoutofit
    snapoutofit

Has anyone found the WT spokesmans response beyond silly and disturbing?

...instructs local leaders to notify police when required by law. They also conduct their own investigation: "That consists of going directly to the accused." If someone confesses, says Brown, he will be prohibited from going door-to-door unless accompanied by another Witness......

Wow, no more door-to-door unless with someone else. Hey they ALL go with someone else don't they? And that answer to a serious offense is both stupid and disgusting.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Ya'll Welcome Now, ya hear? (using exaggerated Southern accent). ;) Well, it pays to be a Night Owl... when late-breaking news flies hot off the press, it's great to be able to pass it around while most are still sawing logs.

The story is not in the Top 10, and the Supreme Court story holds the #10 spot at MSNBC (I just checked again).

Thanks for the Newsweek reporter's name & addy, hawkaw (what does your name mean, btw?) I wrote Newsweek from their online comment form early this morn'; shoulda kept a copy of what I wrote.

Snap... I was quickly looking at your name to pull out an acronym or abbreviation for it. When that didn't work, I began to r-e-a-d i-t s-l-o-w-l-y to figure out what it says, and then it hit me! Snap Out Of It! Crack me up! Big Time chuckle. The names you folks come up with tickle me silly.

Have a good one,
    GRITS
    (Girl Raised In The South)

PS: I almost forgot what I wanted to say to Snap: Yes, that word "WHEN" jumped out at me like a bolt of lightning. I know JR has said these things, but when those few comments are condensed, as in the article, it really really REALLY looks bad for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit