Calgary Bomb at convention

by javagal 14 Replies latest social current

• javagal
    javagal

I have just received a call from my parents who were at the Calgary convention with my daughter and apparently everyone was evacuated as there was a bomb in the stadium. I am not a JW any longer but this sort of behavior does nothing but put the people responsible on the same level as the JW's and give them something to OOOH and AAAHH over how the stadium was evacuated in 14 minutes 12 seconds blah blah blah and how this is such a testimony to Jehovah's working of a visible organization. It is just causing fear and we all know how JW's thrive on fear and playing the martyr.

I am certain the person (s) responsible did not mean to actually hurt anyone as they did call in the threat but regardless. I do understand the hurt, pain and frustration people feel with this organization but we need to approach and change their hearts by love and not by fear. Calgary is presently a very hot place for JW's right now with the "shunned father" hitting the papers and news so hard right now but there are innocent people and of course this only tends to strengthen the "we're being persecuted so we MUST be the true religion" theory.......

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

For the same reasons Calgary would be a logical place for the WTS to stage a fake bomb threat.

No dub would ever imagine that they would do such a thing, which is exactly why it would work so well.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

If the bomb threat was real, it's a damn shame. It just detracts from the real issues. The calgary father case is important, and witnesses will point to the 'end' instead of asking some hard questions about their blood policy. Damn.

ashi

• Scully
    Scully

It's very interesting that the next hearing for Shunned Father's daughter is tomorrow.

There were rumours at the beginning of this ordeal - started by JWs - that Shunned had completely gone off the deep end and had threatened to shoot people at the KH, making it necessary to lock the KH doors during meetings.

It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't just another sympathy tactic by JWs. Rather than getting the R&F to focus on the real issues of the case, they pull out their "persecution" (self-inflicted, IMO) trump card.

It will be interesting to watch whether dubs make slanderous accusations against Shunned with regard to this incident.

Love, Scully

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    I do understand the hurt, pain and frustration people feel with this organization but we need to approach and change their hearts by love and not by fear. Calgary is presently a very hot place for JW's right now with the "shunned father" hitting the papers and news so hard right now but there are innocent people and of course this only tends to strengthen the "we're being persecuted so we MUST be the true religion" theory

By posting this here and the way it was worded you make it sound as if apostates, disfellowshipped, shunned ones or otherwise may have been responsible IMHO.

There are many who do not like the views of JW's and with the current situation ongoing there. Any number of people could have been responsible for said threat. Or it may just have been a prank played by a bunch of children.

I am not condoning the action of the person/s involved whatsoever. I just felt the need to make my thoughts on the matter clear. As ashi said it is a shame with all that is going on but who knows who made the threat or for what reasons.

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

=============KARMA=============

• Valis
    Valis

I thought a bunch of ultra conservative Baptist rhetoric was going to burst forth at the District Convention...ah well, maybe next time.

Sincerely.

District Overbeer

• javagal
    javagal

I apologize if I made it appear that I feel someone deemed "apostate" was responsible for this, in reality it has more then crossed my mind that the dubs are responsible for the drama....it apparently happened during the song immediately prior to the drama...hmmmmmm.....

But the blame is definately focused on "shunned father" it is really sad that the dubs are so intent on kicking you when you are down. I tried to tell my mom that was the most ludicrous idea I had ever heard that he is just a hurt father that is stressed trying to save his daughter and in the meantime is losing everything else....that it doesn't make him a terrorist...but she heard some of the elders talking about it so it MUST be true....

I am just frustrated with the ends they go to shift blame and keep themselves from accepting responsibility for anything.....

• puppylove
    puppylove

Did they actually find a bomb or was this just a threat?
  • SYN
    SYN

Yup, I'm in agreement, if this was for real (unlikely), then the people doing this are just strengthening the Dubs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit