Greetings replaces Love

by Fatal Error 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

I have noticed that recently, when we have a visiting brother in our congregation, the speaker will ask him to return our "greetings" to the other congregation, as opposed to our "love". I vagueley remember a brief announcement a few weeks ago, but I wasn't paying attention. Am I just tripping, or is this widespread? And if so, does anyone know why the change?

[edited due to copious speeling mistakes]

Edited by - fatal error on 16 June 2002 20:28:25

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the KHs I have attended were counseled by the CO not to do this. Some renegade elders do it anyway. The CO will be gone in 3 years, is their thinking.

Anyway, there are no "holy kisses" given either.

1 Corinthians 16
    20 All the brothers here send you greetings. Greet one another with a holy kiss.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Three years? Is that the tour of duty for a CO in each circuit?

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i was at a meeting at my sister's kingdom hall in february of this year. they kept begging us to come so we went. anyway, they didn't say "love" or "greetings', but after the meeting they all got up and walked around smiling non-stop and hugging each other. except for me and my son. this went on for a good ten minutes. it was very strange. i felt like a leper, lol. he just laughed and said if you take me to a kingdom hall ever again, i'll run away (he was joking of course).

i wonder what's wrong with "love". maybe "greetings" is less threatening

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

That's a new one to me....it was always a practice for any travelling brother to pass on their love to the congregation.

I can only think that some congregations feel that the word 'love' is too charismatic...and so they subsititute it for 'greetings'.

I remember being out country witnessing one day and one sister (a very affectionate sister) wanted everyone to join hands during the prayer asking for direction in the FS etc. It was noticed by passersby...and it looked like some kind of ritual...and was later discouraged from being practiced.

I think sometimes the congregation overseer is influenced by his personal thoughts on a matter and it can come across as being a standard uniform change by the society.

Beck

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

At the weekend assembly the bro from Bethel requested that we send back our love to the bethel family and they sent theirs. Maybe wishes of love only applies to the 'mega-spiritual' and the rest of us sorry lot get hello!

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

This is an interesting point.

The last two visits from a Circuit Overseer I was present for while still an active Jehovah's Witness, he said just that:

The brothers from so-and-so send their warm greetings.

As a child I distinctly remember them saying

love

I doubt that there is any specific meaning to this, but it is interesting nonetheless.

• blondie
    blondie

Three years? Is that the tour of duty for a CO in each circuit?

Yes, Yerusaliym, the COs and DOs are rotated every 3 years to avoid favoritism and a personal following of the CO to build up. Every 3 years the elders in the circuit have to figure out and suck up to a new circuit overseer.

Edited by - Blondie on 17 June 2002 8:12:23

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit