Cleaning for Assemblies

by terafera 13 Replies latest jw friends

• terafera
    terafera

By HANK SCHALLER, Of The Oakland Press June 09, 2002
    When it comes to being a house of worship, the Pontiac Silverdome has a long history.
    It has served as a site of a papal Mass by Pope John Paul II, a crusade by evangelist Billy
    Graham and meetings attracting thousands of men belonging to the Promise Keepers
    organization.
    But no faith or religious group has had more gatherings under the Teflon-coated fiberglass
    roof of the Silverdome than the Jehovah's Witnesses, who have been transforming the stadium
    into one of the world's largest Kingdom Halls every year since 1978.
    More than 100,000 Bible-carrying Jehovah's Witnesses from 233 congregations scattered
    throughout the Lower Peninsula of Michigan and northern Ohio are expected to attend the
    2002 Zealous Kingdom Proclaimers District Convention, which began Friday and continues
    through today.
    It's a religious pilgrimage that meant a lot for 75-year-old Howard Anderson of Detroit. He was
    the oldest of the 169 convention delegates who was baptized into the faith Saturday, a total
    that included 73 men and 96 women ranging in age from 10 to 75 years old.
    "This is what I want," Anderson said. "I want to show God how much I love him. After many
    years of opposing my wife, who has been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 33 years, I'm ready to
    do God's will."
    Al McCarty of Waterford Township has been at every Silverdome convention since 1978. He
    told of the effort made by 3,000 volunteers to prepare the Silverdome for the faithful.
    "In the Jehovah's Witnesses, there is no paid clergy and no paid staff," said McCarty, who works
    as an engineer at the Chrysler Group headquarters of the DaimlerChrysler AG in Auburn Hills.
    "This type of convention is important because it allows people to worship with people who are
    like us with the same problems and same successes. Worshiping with a large group raises the
    consciousness of your own faith."
    On the day before the convention, the Silverdome was a beehive of activity. "We're probably
    one of the only groups who come into the Silverdome and vacuum every inch of the stadium's
    artificial turf," McCarty said. "We also wash every seat with soap and water and personally clean
    each restroom and suite that we use."
    One hundred volunteers even spent much of Thursday setting up an elaborate sound system
    to conquer the Silverdome's notoriously bad acoustics that on occasion have frustrated some
    of the biggest musical acts in the world.
    The fact that every Jehovah's Witness was carrying a Bible is integral to the faith. "In my
    library at home, I have 16 translations of the Bible," McCarty said. "Each of those translations
    can help you understand because Jehovah's Witnesses believe precisely what the Bible says and
    try to mold our lives around it."
    While the Detroit Lions may have left the Silverdome for Ford Field, now under construction in
    downtown Detroit, the Jehovah's Witnesses plan to be back again in 2003. "Pontiac and the
    Silverdome have been very good to us over the years," McCarty said. "The Silverdome is a
    wonderful place to worship."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This got me to thinking...how many times have you heard, at the meetings and assemblies, that jw's are the cleanest people to use assembly halls. But I've been to many other functions in the same buildings that seemed to be very clean too. Isnt it a little presumptuous to imply they're the only group that cleans up before and after their events?

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

You have to put it in it's proper perspective,Tera. They surely wouldn't want their pedophiles to stain their pants while sitting in a spill, would they?

Actually, every sporting event I have attended has cleaning crews go through afterwards. If JWs were really all that much cleaner, why would they need to so thoroughly clean after the close of the day? Wouldn't all simply pick up behind themselves and keep things that much cleaner?

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

For an org that ostensibly disdains the world, they sure try hard to impress it. Look how good and moral we are. We even clean better than anyone else. As I recall, the Pharisees were also into alot of cleaning, but it didn't seem to do them too much good in Jesus book.

Edited by - joeshmoe on 16 June 2002 14:35:29

• LDH
    LDH

Yeah but check it out....

We were the dumbasses who cleaned it for free.

Every event I've been to in a stadium (Fresno has a new Triple A baseball stadium)...they have a cleaning crew they pay.

Lisa

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' LDH?

Time to sue for back pay!

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

How messy can you people be? I mean honestly...besides I remember cleaning crews, oh wait no I don't...I always ran away

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Aaaahh. So joannadandy, you were the sister who left to find us another mop and never came back!

That's it, you're cleaning section 211 all by yourself!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: But I've been to many other functions in the same buildings that seemed to be very clean too. Isnt it a little presumptuous to imply they're the only group that cleans up before and after their events?

Not as presumptuous as claiming they are the only ones who speak for God.

Then again, maybe God personally told them to clean the toilets at their Assembly facilities. I'm sure God doesn't like dirty toilets, either.

Farkel

• mustang
    mustang

Hmmm... mulling this over.... RIGHT!!!

In negotiating with the owners of the stadiums or whatever, the COST OF CLEANING inevitably comes up:

1950:

Joe Assembly Overseer:

Well, Mr. Stadium Owner, there is no need for that 20K$ charge, why we CAN DO IT OURSELVES!!!

Mr. Stadium Owner:

OK, but see that you do.

Joe Assembly Overseer:

Quick, make up some talks on CLEANLINESS IS NEXT TO GODLINESS. And start a CLEANING DEPARTMENT. Oh, and encourage brothers to be Janitors & Window Washers...

Accounting Department:

The receipts are up. And we talked a brother into donating all the brooms, mops & cleaning supplies.

1951:

Mr. Stadium Owner: Well, you did a good job on the cleaning, as you said. Welcome back.

Joe Assembly Overseer:

Hey, get that over to Public Relations. The Stadium Owner said we were

great on the cleaning. Get that out to the papers. Hey, you got those figures on how many Janitors & Window washers we have added since those talks last year??? Oh, set up a Cafeteria, we can make money on that.

Quick get some talks that include how wonderful a job being a SHORT ORDER COOK is.

Accounting Department:

Hey, great idea on the Cafeteria; we made money & got lots of brothers to donate everything you can imagine.

and so on, ad nauseum

Mustang

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

oh i remember those days of cleaning at the assemblies--my dad was usually in charge of our 'section'. oh joy! joanna--it was always you putting gum on the floor wasn't it?? heehee

beck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit