JW marriages

by Realist 40 Replies latest jw friends

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Does anyone have access to the divorce rate among the JWs? Percentages compared to the general public, and all?

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Probably impossible to get. The society would be the only ones with good numbers I suspect, and they hopelessly distort such things. But I could be wrong (about how hard they are to get, not about the societies distortion tactics!).

• Realist
    Realist

thank you Amazing

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Man Amazing, quit being so smart and reasonable. No one here appreciates it.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Happy Man,

They always say, "if you're happy in your pile of s--t", then stay there.

If you don't have a complaint, don't complain. If you are happy, great!

The borg will sustain both types.

Karen/Sentinel

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Realist,

In answer to your reply. What happens is, the JW's are so concerned that they will do something wrong. They live in total fear. This follows them into the privacy of their own bedroom.

When asking themselves, "would Jesus do this?", and not being able to quite fit that in (as we were all taught that Jesus never had a woman and never married...that's another story) they were left with no satisfactory answer.

Usually they would write directly to the Society, being too embarrassed to discuss it with fellow congregation members. The society would send them the "answer". They were usually very specific. If they weren't, it would cause even more turmoil in the marital relationship.

Sometimes these questions and answers would turn up in the WT literature for others to become "wise". If you couldn't figure it out for yourself, they would deffinitely have the answer for you.

Karen/Sentinel

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I know JW marriage is the only reason my parents are still married.

Are they happy? I think they are now...but I think a few times over the course of their lives they would have called it quitters and left poor little jo jo the monkey girl in a broken home.

I don't think JW marriages are anymore happy or sad than any other faith really. I think it is the no divorce policy that might screw with them. But whatever.

JW policy is a lot like arranged marriage policy, and studies have shown couples in those type of situations to be fairly happy...who knows how honest they are on the survey form...much like JW marriages. Who knows how happy they really are...it's all objective.

• RR
    RR

A good majority of those who got married around the same time we did, are divorce now.

Some get married just so they don't commit fornication, but after they consummate, they realuize that "sex" isn't all that some claim it to be. AT least it shouldn't be the ONLY reason you get married.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

RR, I have always felt that if sex is all you have going in a marriage, then you really have nothing. For the sex to be great, there has to be a lot more outside the bedroom. Being good friends, first and foremost. A genuine caring and affection for each other. Pulling together through thick and thin. All that has to come first, in my opinion.

Now, if only I could actually find it, I could be the happiest man alive.

• LizardSnot
    LizardSnot

I never married a JW...thank God in heaven!!!

Almost did...that would have been the biggest mistake of my life!

Dont get me wrong...she was a nice girl...but we never had a moment alone...we were 19 and she still wasnt allowed to be alone with me. Not even to go the store!

We met an assembly in 1985...and I broke up with her at the assembly in 1986 because we werent allowed to celebrate out 1 year "going steady" anniversary by going out for dinner "alone"...the only time I got to see her was at her house when family was there...

Her parents didnt do her any favors by sheltering her so much...for crying out loud she asked me if oral sex was when people "talked" about sex?!?

Didnt she have health class?

She wound up marrying some dub dude who I'm sure she loves dearly *rolls eyes

Whatever,

Lizard

Edited by - LizardSnot on 15 June 2002 22:16:12

Edited by - LizardSnot on 15 June 2002 22:17:5

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit