What is Faith?

by Mackin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

If faith is a feeling that you believe something....without evidence (else it is fact) then you are truly stretching things when you think you can communicate with God. Why? Two reasons:

1. You need faith to believe in God

2. Assuming #1 is correct you need faith to believe that you are using the correct mechanism of trying to communicate with this God.

• Mackin
    Mackin

Good to see you here again Signgirl. We've missed you.

• Salud
    Salud

Faith is a funny thing. It is the very thing that brought many of us into the WT. Now for many it is the very thing that keeps many away from religion and even makes us question the very existence of God.

I find on this board many people struggling with this concept of Faith, even more so than your average person out in the street. I blame the WT for this. They have destroyed in many people the idea of trust. Many do not trust and feel they have been violated of their trust to a certain extent, can you blame them.

I still feel it is important to have and develop this quality of faith. We cant dismiss totally this concept of faith, otherwise we limit ourselves and close the door from exploring other ideas. I don't mean here to have blind faith and believe anything anyone tells you, but one that is based on evidence or principles. I have faith in my wife and family, and faith that the sun will rise the next morning and that my bills will arrive on time. I also have faith that there is something more than what we have here. The world as we see it testifies to that. This is a unique place to live. I am on a journey in discovering things that were kept from me before, explore ideas that were foreign to me. I guess what is important for me is trying to find that balance where I don't feel that I have gone off the deep end (like some JW friends of mine were asking about me) but also not to scared to explore my horizons. I have faith that I will find answers in time, one where I understand more this thing called life.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Faith = Placebo

Religion = Evolved Superstition

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit