Candles and JWs

by badboy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• KPL
    KPL

Funny, I remember attending several candle parties hosted by witnesses. One was even an elders wife and daughter.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

It seems that candles are okay, some of the time. WHile most of the quotes within the Watchtower propaganda concerning candles are negative and associated with Christmas and other Religious Ceremonies, here are a few that show their true feelings. I now wonder why they don't ban candles????

*** w84 8/1 5 How Close Is God to You? ***
    In time, though, she came in contact with Jehovahs Witnesses and began to see the need to make changes if she was to be close to God. I gave up a two-to-three-pack-a-day smoking habit and all drugs, and I resolved in my heart to follow Jehovahs command regarding fornication. I threw out all my books on dreams, astrology and spiritism, and I got rid of all my idolatrous statues, candles and pictures.

*** it-2 195 Lamp ***
    There is no evidence that the candle as we know it today was used in Bible times. Whereas the flammable wax or fat of a modern candle is kept in the solid state until melted by the proximity of the flame, lamp oil, a liquid, was used in Biblical days. Hence, frequent rendering by the King James Version of the Hebrew ner and the Greek word ly'khnos as candle is inappropriate, as at Job 29:3 and Luke 11:33, where modern translations (such as AT, NW, RS) fittingly use lamp.

*** km 4/93 3 "To the House of Jehovah Let Us Go" ***
    The Kingdom Hall is tastefully decorated and has no candles, statues, or images.

*** km 3/73 3 Encouraging All to Attend the Lord's Evening Meal ***
    There is no emotional display. The Kingdom Hall serves Bible educational purposes and is accordingly not decorated with images, crosses, altars, candles, and so forth.

I guess if the power goes out and you light candles for light, you just better not pray in the same room, huh?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Actually, my dad ( an elder) has always hated incense.

I do remember being told as a young JW that it wasn't appropriate to use incense, since the main reason anyone would ever use incense would be to cover up the odor of marijuana smoke. So, even if I was just using it because I liked the smell, anyone else coming to my house and smelling it would assume I had been smoking dope, and I would bring reproach on Jehovah.

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

is all of this discussion only because a candlemaker regularly posts on this board?

LL

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

the discussion itself is a little light hearted -- but it does highlight something interesting about life in dub city.....

that is, that in addition to the teaching promulgated by the F&DS, there exists another body of teaching, that emanates from strong minded (and sometimes weird) people..

so long, as this is "exclusive", that is excluding "worldly" things and ideas, those in authority do not take much notice..

but, the moment it becomes "inclusive" suggesting the incorporation of an idea or practise from the world ..... BANG!!!!!.... shit hits the fan..

example, --- it's OK to warn against candles, but trying suggesting placing 2 lighted candles on the table at the Memorial!! LOL!!

Actually, such a practise would not be out of harmony with any bible text, but would be seen by too many brothers as something from fales worship..

• badboy
    badboy

BRINGING THIS 2 THE TOP OF THE ACTIVE TOPICS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit