OMG, I’m gonna get Old and Die.

by John Aquila 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• clarity
    clarity

Waking up at a young age gives a wonderful opportunity to have many many decades ahead to really live. But we never know for sure.

Someone who is 22 may die at 29. An older person at 72 may live happily to 95. So the young one only had 7 years to live while the elderly one lived 23 years.

The point being, that life is in the minutes. Not worrying about the chunks of time ahead but being fully present in the NOW.

Btw, I can say this as a person who has lived in 10 decades and still working, still planning, still growing .... and still feeling compassion for people. There is huge compassion & love throughout this thread that is so life confirming.........

• James Jack
    James Jack

I read this entire thread, because I am going through all these same emotions!

Though still in and pretty active, I just go through the motions and go into my own dream world while at the meetings. I tell my wife that I want to feel accountable to a Creator, so that I have some restraints.

With that said, We have planned several camping trips, going to see Stone Temple Pilots in Concert, going to indulge in mass quantities of Alcohol, and perhaps some mind altering herbs! Live Life and Enjoy whatever time is left!

My wife reminded me that when "we die, we have paid for our sins."

• talesin
    talesin
    s this the fruit of evolution? Is this what lurkers should look forward to? Dark days in sad thought with no hope?
    I see no benefit to atheism.

Ah, you need to work on your reading comprehension.

This thread is about betrayal, and the loss of one's faith in the "One True Organization", NOT atheism or loss of faith in God.

: )

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

When I found out the botchtower had spun a big pile of sweaty bollocks, it was a relief that I realised I was going to die like everyone else. Me and my wife didnt do any research about the org until 8 months after we left. So we went from day to day feeling guilty and stressed because we thought we were bird food at the big A.

You come to realise that life is not only what you make it, its also what you leave behind. I'm not a believer in any deity or god, and I personally think it a waste of time to spend life proving ones self to a god, when life can be spent helping, loving, and making a legacy with those around you. This is more real than remembering somebody 'in heaven', or 'with the angels' etc

fwiw, GA

• done4good
    done4good

Hold Me-Thrill Me - Is this the fruit of evolution? Is this what lurkers should look forward to? Dark days in sad thought with no hope?

I see no benefit to atheism.

I can assure you from my perspective, and that of may other atheists, we don't live in "Dark days in sad thought".

When I was a believer, I did not live my life for some future life. I believed because I really believed, whether I thought it was good or not. I considered what I believed "the Truth". That fact is, a lot of "bad" came with that belief. Self-righteousness, insensitivity towards others, serious personal stress, self-dishonesty, etc. Accepting a falsehood as truth did nothing to improve my quality of life.

Much improvement came after leaving the JW, and I did not become an atheist overnight. It took 5.5 years to come to that conclusion. I basically went from JW to non-denominational Christian, to finding inconsistencies with Christian history, exploring Catholicism, researching more history, science, etc., declaring myself agnostic, because that was the only honest assessment I could make of my belief, to finally coming to terms with accepting the god of the bible was just as much a myth as any Greek or Roman god. It was a matter of intellectual honesty in the end, and nothing could be more liberating.

A life based on fact and reason is a good life. I can stop worrying about making some invisible friend angry, over normal human tendencies, make decisions based on real-world concerns, work to help others within the constraints of real-world parameters, etc. There is no sadness or darkness in any of this.

The only thing that saddens me today is seeing those still trapped in a web of fear, believing in some man made myth of a god who will destroy them for simply failing to live the way it wants them to.

d4g

• gda
    gda

well ... with all religions who pervert the scriptures...I take script over what religion has to say and nothing is hopeless....

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

"And you realized there was no 1914, there was no generation that would see the end of a wicked system, there was no paradise around the corner,

What went through you mind?"

Damn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit