OMG, I’m gonna get Old and Die.

by John Aquila 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

Ive recently become atheist. And suddenly, everything made sense and I mean everything. For as great perspective on life get acquainted with brilliant minds like bill Nye, Chris Hitchens, Richard Dawkins etc.

Anyways,

It seems like a burden has been thrown off. The fate of mankind doesn't rest on jws after all. And its somewhat odd that I now enjoy more than ever some very selfish and rather carnal pastimes, sex, making money, wine, cigars, sex lol.

What can we control? Very little it turns out. We can however try to make the world a better place, and that starts with us and our family.

Its a fact we got here via evolution, now we've got to work with wat we've got.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Is this the fruit of evolution? Is this what lurkers should look forward to? Dark days in sad thought with no hope?

I see no benefit to atheism.

Actually atheism has nothing to do with

"Dark days in sad thought with no hope"

Over 40,000 people commit suicide each year in the U.S most of which are Christians and have a wonderful "Hope"

Sadness and despair is the result of "many" other reasons besides a belief in God or No belief in God. Most Atheist lead a very normal lives with a deep appreciation for everything they observe in life.

People here are upset not because they don't believe in God, but because they were lied to by Whom?

By people who believe in God and supposedly had a wonderful hope.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Matt 16:25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

As I began awakening I went through all the stages of grief. It started out with waking up at night with slight panic attacks and the feeling of OMG I'm X years old and I've got a wife and kids and a mortgage, I've stuck with a boring job because I thought the end was so close and here I am still thinking I'm not going to die in this system...but it looks like it's probably going to happen. Weren't we supposed to be perfect by now???

I'd pull myself together and press on, thinking that if I built up my faith more, I would see things differently. I turned to the literature for guidance and comfort only to find that the subject matter, horrific pictures and ridiculous logic contained within their pages, only made things worse. I followed the advice one elder gave me, to read the book of Job and find comfort in how Job was tested and how Jehovah rewarded him in the end. In my mental state, this was the worst thing I could have done. To think that Jehovah's solution to Job losing all of his children, was to simply replace them with new ones, was even more horrible that I had remembered. How could a loving father to whom I was desperately praying to for help, think that this would be enough to make up for the horror of having all of your children crushed under a collapsed house?

Then I began having panic and anxiety attacks at meetings and assemblies to the point that certain Kingdom songs would start me blubbering like a big baby (so embarrassing). It got to the point that I couldn't go out at night, watch the news, or see a movie that had any kind of violence and especially one that had any kind of religious or futuristic theme. I was a wreck....barely able to go to work. Out of sheer determination, I'd make it through the day but would go straight to bed as soon as I got home at 4 pm. I couldn't bear to be awake one minute longer than absolutely necessary. No one could figure out what was wrong with me. I had a lovely wife and kids, a nice home, good job no dept, etc,but I was acting like someone who had the weight of the world on my shoulders.

This went on for years. I had good medical benefits at work but spent thousands out of my own pocket on medical Dr's and Professional Counselors and different medications. Nothing worked....I couldn't tell them what exactly was wrong with me because A: I was still in denial and B: I didn't want to bring reproach on the Organization or Jehovah's name. More than one professional told me that I had the symptoms of someone who had been raised in an abusive or alcoholic family or had been through some sort of psychological abuse as a child.They told me that I should commend myself for being so strong because most people who were suffering at the level I was for this long, would be divorced, drug or alcohol addicted and jobless. Somehow I managed to keep it together for the most part but it took everything I had. At this point, I sort of attributed my strength to "the truth" and Jehovah but I was beginning to question that too.

As I said, this went on for years. I managed to eke out some fun times and have a happy family life and I managed to keep the show on the road, but inside I was sick at heart and my stomach was in knots, even though on the outside I was able to mask it.

Long story short...a series of back to back JW related disasters happened to several family members that became a perfect storm of undeniable proof the what my body had been telling me all along, was in fact true. I received an email from a long time JW friend that was meant to be encouraging. That email was about Beth Sarim and how interesting it was to see the early history of the Organization and how much the Society has progressed since then. I was shocked....how could I have been a lifelong JW and a former Bethelite without having heard of this before?? I suddenly realized that I was up to my ears in a huge and cruel HOAX and my body had been telling me so for years.

It took a few more months, but I finally stopped going to meetings and having anything to do with JW's and JW related activities. I admitted out loud to my wife that I no longer was a JW. She, thankfully was reaching the same point herself. A week after my last meeting, the anxiety was gone....vanished like snow off a ditch and hasn't returned since. I realized that what was happening these past few years was that I was coming to grips with my own mortality. I had been deceived into thinking that I was never going to die and that I had all the answers to life's big picture questions. What a rude awakening I had...instead of coming to grips with my own mortality over a lifetime, I had done it all at once ! The scripture quoted above started to make sense to me. I had come to a point where although I didn't want to die anytime soon, I was no longer dreading it. I had more peace of mind than I've ever had. I realized had gained my life back because I was no longer afraid of losing it, which is a very freeing thing to happen to a person.

I stopped going to those weekly funerals called meetings, at the Kingdom Hall and immediately improved. I still had some residual JW worries and wondered if my life would fall apart without Jehovah's favor. Instead, within a short time, I got (and still have) the best job of my life. I even sort of wondered if maybe Satan was helping me but thanks to this site, I've seen behind the curtain that was intentionally kept in place to keep trusting people like me, shielded from the real truth.

There is much much more to this story but I hope the part I've shared here will help anyone who is going through what I did. I'm living proof that one can survive the desperate upheaval one often goes through when leaving Jehovah's Witnesses. I have no social network or friends with whom I share a history with and I miss that but I'd never go back to the living hell that I was once in.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    I went through a grieving process that lasted a number of years , and now i've accepted it.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Hey Pete Zahut

You basically described my feelings, with the exception that I did lose my wife and I also don't have a network of friends, but I would never go back to that hell. It's been almost two years since I've left but for some reason it seems like decades. I still can't figure that out. Maybe it's because I've done so much and learn so much.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    Pete, thank you for sharing your story. The mind is an incredible thing being able to compartmentalize and segregate thoughts that are too difficult for the conscious mind to process all at once. You paid for that bargain with your health, but since the entire process is now over, it seems you have adjusted nicely and are living your best life ever. Congratulations!
  • cha ching
    cha ching

Me? I have always tried to enjoy life, love people, make memories... but, of course, life in the WT world limits you.... However, after reading so many experiences from people NOT JW's (scientologists, baptists, other cults, no cults, alcoholics, drug addicts, and on and on) it seems as tho each person is born into a circumstance... a family with beliefs and customs.

Each child must grow up, figure it out and either accept or reject "his reality." I picture myself as an American Indian... Think of all the weird customs, beliefs and things you may have had to grow up with (not alllllll American Indians... ) But picture yourself dancing around a fire, with a skirt of type, feathers, spear, etc.... drums pounding... It really does not make a lot of sense in the 'real' world. They didn't scare off evil spirits, or cure people with their chants, but MAYBE the family had great bonds. Maybe the children were close to their parents, became close to all in their village, felt happy.

I ran into an art teacher I use to work with the other day, we both were having our cars tuned up, and I spoke with her for a while. I told her my story of being and leaving Jehovah's Witnesses... a 'cult'.... so that she could help kids in school to reason, help them with their struggles... Guess what? This educated person told me that she too had been in a cult in her 20's and the only reason she got out, realized it was a cult, was because the leader died. Some in her group started following Armstrong.

My point is, I could have been born into many different families. Each child must grow up, learn, and decide what to do with their life. All of us. I decided to make the most of what I have. I do not like what the WT has done, what it has stolen (family and friends) but I really do try to focus on enjoying what is going on each day, each minute.

Death? Well, sometimes I think of it.... Like my cats... I have had many, they are gone, I remember them, but there is nothing more I can do but enjoy the ones I have left. One day I too will be gone, maybe no one will remember me. That is kind of weird...... So many people in the past are gone, and that's one thing I wanted to do in the new order, meet EVERY one who had ever lived, ask them about their lives, find out what REALLY happened in history. Now? I can't. But I try to make people feel good, and appreciated, and valuable. I love the look in their eyes.

I could have been born into many circumstances, but I am here now, and will fight to make the most of it. WT will not take that from me!

Cha Ching!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WOW, Pete. I love a happy ending.

Best wishes to you that things keep getting better and better.

Doc

The greatest revenge is living a happy and successful life!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I could have been born into many different families. Each child must grow up, learn, and decide what to do with their life.

I hear what you're saying but in this thread, we are talking about our own experience within the JW framework . There are worse things that could happen to us of course, but there are also better things that could have happened as well. To compare ones unfavorable experience to someone who has or had it worse is a way of rationalizing things and was what many here did and as a result they prolonged the inevitable. It's sort of like pointing out the much more difficult plight of a blind and deaf person, to teenager with a missing arm who is angry at his parents for not telling him that he could have had a prosthesis all these years. "see....you could have had it worse"

So many people in the past are gone, and that's one thing I wanted to do in the new order, meet EVERY one who had ever lived, ask them about their lives, find out what REALLY happened in history. Now? I can't.

Who say's you can't...if there are good things in store for mankind in the future, there's no reason you or I won't be part of it !

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    Is this the fruit of evolution? Is this what lurkers should look forward to? Dark days in sad thought with no hope?
    I see no benefit to atheism.

This is just one person, and one person who is going through a difficult transition, so don't read too much into it.

Something either is true or isn't, the benefit of it doesn't really make a difference in whether it is true or isn't. It's your life, if you want to believe in something because it makes you feel better, then you can, and many people do, and I personally don't have a problem with it. But I can't believe in something just because it's makes be feel better.

That being said, I have a wonderful life, and feel joy every day. The idea that this life is all I have has made me work harder to make every moment count. I have my bad days just like anyone, but I don't let it get me down. I went out to see the sunset today, it was beautiful and I enjoyed every minute. Not believing in God does not mean you are doomed to a joyless existence, not at all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit