Holidays

by eyes_opened 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Prisca
    Prisca

Well, last month I went my first-ever birthday party! Ever! Raised as a jw, I was never allowed to be at any of my friends' parties, but now that I am free, I decided to celebrate my friend's birthday with her and our friends! And we had a great time. And for any active jws that may be reading this - NOTHING BAD HAPPENED, OK!! It was just a simple gathering of my friend's friends and family, all together and enjoying each other's company. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• promqueennot
    promqueennot

My entire family has been out for almost 13 yrs and the 1st few years, we just kind of took it slowly -- adding in a few holidays here and there. I just hated purchasing holiday items for fear of having a JW approach me -- I hated confrontation.

It reminds me of a time I went shopping with my boyfriend 1.5 years after I left the JWs. I was really eyeing the xmas wrapping paper and my bf put it in the cart. I immediately started looking around to see if there were any JWs (we were at a store that was frequented by many of them).

When I thought my bf was out of sight, I casually started rearranging the cart to hide it. After I had every spec of it covered, I sighed in relief. When I looked up, I realized my bf had been watching me the whole time. He stomped over and said, "oh, for pete's sake!" grabbed the paper from the bottom and threw it on top and pushed the cart on.

That was a turning point for me. I started realizing how much I let the JWs control my life through fear and guilt.

Edited by - promqueennot on 2 March 2001 5:28:15

• Angharad
    Angharad

Danny

Thats great - we're probably going to get more into it every year as well

At the moment I just thinking about a birthday party for Liam - He'll be 4 in May but as Red said I don't know what to do!

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Angharad,

I can only tell you about what I have learned from my lady and family.

On my birthday, she wakes up early before I get up, puts a card and a few presents by the fireplace. Then wakes me up with 'happy b-day song'....while having morning coffee..open the card and gift or two.

She goes out of her way to make the day feel special. In the evening there is usually a dinner out with close friends....or like last year...some friends put on a bbq..with my birthday as a good reason to do so.

Pretty fun to do it for a 4 year old...anything you decide to do...should pretty well make his day very special. Thats all I have to offer...I know you two will perform flawlessly.

Danny

• TR
    TR

Hey Promqueen!

I know how you felt. I did the same things at the store. In fact one of the check out clerks was a JW. I did everything I could to avoid that clerk. Then one day I said to myself, screw this! They're going to ignore me anyway so I'll stick it under their noses! It's interesting to see the reactions when you walk up to a JW who knows you're da'd, and say hi, or they see the holiday stuff you're buying.

TR

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Prisca,

I'm glad you had a good time at the Birthday party...and what? No-one lost their head? Amazing and I used to think Birthdays were bad too.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit