She declined to testify-typical

by Dogpatch 21 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Waiting

I'm not sure why you are saying the word 'typical' was applied to: a woman, JW women, or even all womenkind. The title is not the whole story and if theire is something in the main piece I missed then... well I missed it. I read it to mean that it is typical how the evidence gets held back.

philo

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Calm down, y'all!
    I mean it is typical of the JW mentality, much as was described by Waiting, actually. Men go on a buddy system in the WT, and women are generally second-class citizens. I totally agree the system favors the man, THAT'S wHY WE aRE DOING ALL THIS! :-))

NOTHING is typical of women. They are all different and quite unexplainable. :-O

• claudia
    claudia

I really think in the case of rape or child molestation, the wife is allowed to testify.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Six of Nine,

What a typical male response! My God! The woman is angry -therefore she must be a bit hysterical! Did I YELL? No. Was I able to explain my argument to another person? Yes. Did I attack anyone with personal insults? No. If you've ever witnesseda hysterical person, you know articulation is highly unlikely.

The whole damned situation is typical, as Randy brought out. The men buddy up and shut up. The women are viewed as second class and told (or counseled) to shut up. Out of fear, they do what they're told to do by the men.

The children typically continued to be screwed.

Of course, there are also exceptions - but then exceptions are not typical.

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 1 March 2001 7:39:16

• larc
    larc

Waiting, my dear friend,

Are you drinking too much coffee this morning? You have done a fine job of explaining the problem with people of your gender. As I said before, you are truely elequant. (sp?) I already forgot the point I was trying to make, so let me just say, I am on your side, honey.
    Now please don't go into a rant because I called you honey.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey larc,

Thanks for your patience. Being on the receiving end of rape/incest from my father down through my daughter, touchy subject - even at a non-hysterical level. Personally, through my anger, I didn't think I came across all that harshly.

No. Sweetpie, I'm not one of them thar rabid feminists. I'm one of them thar rape victims. Mother of rape victim. Wife of man who is very supportive, but very quiet.

I am the woman who went to the elders in two congregations. The woman who called the police. The woman who wrote the society. The woman who met with different CO's for approximately five years to argue the damned rapist sitting in the KH. I have argued for more than a friggin' decade about this with more men than I wish to remember.

Like most women who talk about this, I have/had a husband. But he was absent on all these occasions. A good man - but why wasn't he there? Where are the husbands/fathers/sons who were raped or had their children raped? Where are their emotions? And wanting to beat the bastard up really doesn't qualify, we all want to do that and worse.

And now I get an e-mail encouraging me to get my daughter to speak out publicly about her rape and humiliation. And she doesn't want to - she put that behind her. Others say, but it would help other victims - she says no one helped her.

Do I have the right to ask, more than twice, that she be more than typical?

waiting

PS. Thanks for the compliment. I would enjoy your posting some of your writings.

Edited by - waiting on 1 March 2001 8:34:20

Edited by - waiting on 1 March 2001 8:38:45

• larc
    larc

Dear Waiting,

You are not alone. You have us. You have so many friends that love you. You have shared so much with us and you have given so much of yourself to others. You are part of a family that loves you. Hey, I'm a guy and guys aren't supposed to, but I'm about to cry.

Love you sis.

• Seven
    Seven

waiting,

...I get an email encouraging me to get my daughter to speak out publicly about her rape and humiliation.

I've received a few of those. Am I a coward, waiting? Am I selfish? It's about convincing evidence and beyond a reasonable doubt, isn't it? Everyone's situation is unique. This isn't "Law & Order" or "The Practice." I can't do it. I can't go from being a victim to a survivor
    back to being the victim again. I'd rather die-an option I've considered. I don't want to ever go there again. I may never make it back.

Seven

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Waiting-- very sorry for my insensitivity. It was a joke, based on the origin of the word hysterical. Sorry again, I should know that this thread was not one to try and inject any humour in.

I guess at this point, I don't really understand the male/female aspect of what you are talking about, but I'll continue trying. I do however understand the frustration over massive injustice, and believe me, when I read your words I feel it. If I were part of your situation, and I thought people were sitting on their hands instead of doing the right thing, you can believe that those hand sitters would know what I thought. They might even be afraid to continue sitting on their hands, if that frustration level rose to the level of hysteria on my part.

Seven, in a way, you have spoken out publicly about your rape, you and Waiting both. I think you are both brave, and I am your cheerleader in anything you do to take away any power those bastards still have in your lives.

x

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Waiting, Seven.....*****HUGS******

Both of you have done much to help others deal with the trauma of rape and molestation. You have spoken up and told your stories. You have given comfort to others who have suffered. You have done more than many.

Each of us contributes in our own way, and you two have contributed more than most. No one should try to make you feel that you must do more than you are capable of doing.

Altruism is good, but if it destroys you in the process, it has accomplished nothing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit