I went to a Unitarian church today

by crownboy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

(Wow, Simon, did you steal Microsoft Word software or something? )

Well, today I did something that in most years past I would have believed would have resulted in me being struck by lightning; I attended a religious service other than the JW's. This is the first time I've ever been to another religious service. It was at a Unitarian church some distance from my home, for I still live with my JW parents and indeed if they knew about this, it would be a major issue. I decided to take this unprecedented step about two days ago, while I was on the internet. I was reading an article about the Unitarians, and realized that they were probably a pretty good group. I had actually taken a religious test on beliefnet.com a couple of months ago (from a thread on this board), and according to the test, the Unitarians actually came closest to my religious views than any other group.

I don't really consider myself "religious" in the sense of needing to be part of a religious group, or needing to connect with some "higher power", but I was curious as to what it would be like to attend a religious service other than the JW's, so I pretty much just said "what the heck, it can't possibly be worse the meeting I'd be forced to attend anyway", so I made up an excuse as to why I had to go out, and off I went this morning.

Well, the experience was somewhat as what I envisioned. On this particular day, the pastor dedicated his sermon to answering questions that people in the congregation had asked him. Some questions were tough, some easy, but he tried to answer them all. I really appreciated the fact that he never gave any answers as being "the answer", he even prefaced the entire thing by stating "all the answers I give are my opinion, and you're free to agree or disagree". During one of his answers to a question (I've forgotten the question), he stated that we humans must believe in our own goodness, and think for ourselves, a sentiment very much my own. There were even some questions that he simply answered with "this is a question that each of us must answer for ourself". Afterward, I was invited to stay for some coffee and fellowship. I talked to a few persons, all of who were very nice. The pastor even asked me if I wanted to be on some mailing list, but of course I declined. I was also impressed by the many charitable things the church was involved with (like many churches, of course), as opposed to JW's who believe that charity is knocking on your door on Saturday morning to offer you magazines that are mostly crap.

Overall, I was impressed with the place. It was very quiet and subdued during the pastor's sermon, there were a couple of musical interludes, and they open and closed the service with the congregation singing songs (from a songbook that somewhat resembled the JW's ). Not a bad experience, and I may do it again sometime in the future.

• creamypink
    creamypink

I've thought about a Unitarian church, just for the heck of it. I feel I am more agnostic than anything, but I'd go mainly to meet people who aren't likely to shove the bible down my throat.

In making friends now, which I've had to start over and do since leaving the borg, I am finding that people are so much more interesting. And how I love to have friends over and when we pass around the spinach dip, no one feels the need to bow their head. And no one says silly things like, "...wonder if we'll have football in the new system" None of that crap comes up.

Well, let me know if you go back to that church. I'm considering giving them a try. Don't need a church or a religion like I said, just like the idea of meeting new and very different individuals.

pink

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

hi crownboy, that souned like something really positive to do. i've heard they let everyone develope their own spiritual beliefs.

i'll bet you meet some nice people there.

• Francois
    Francois

I used to go to the Episcopal services with a girlfriend and the best thing about that was the communion wine (Yes, I took communion. It was great actually.) Anyway, I don't know what that communion wine was, but it was damn good. They obviously use the good stuff for communion. However, that was about it.

I didn't care for all the getting up and down, or all the "priest says this," then the "congregation says that," which provokes a whole 'nuther round of saying stuff, and up and down again, and some more priests turn/congregations turn to say something. Ritual, that's all it was. Not very appealing. Then the priest gave his talk for about thirty minutes, then more singing, more back and forth and up and down and then they walked out down the aisle. But man, that communion wine, ummmmhummm.

I just don't identify all that formulaic stuff with worship. Of course NOTHING the JWs did felt like worship.

ft

• Jewel
    Jewel

OK, let me get this straight...The people asked the questions and the speaker answered them? And they got to ask any question they wanted? And lightning didn't strike you all down???

Seriously, we were married by a wonderful Unitarian minister (18 years ago today to be exact, thank you very much!) She let us write what we wanted, she read a piece of "worldly" poetry that we'd found. She asked us some meaningful and pointed questions in a couple of meetings we had with her before the wedding. I've always said that if I ever wanted to go to another Christian church it would probably be Unitarian

• borgfree
    borgfree

Jewel,

I don't think the Unitarians are Christian.

Christians recognize that Jesus Christ is the only way, there are no if's and's or but's, no other way to salvation. I don't think Unitarians believe that.

Borgfree

• Wendy
    Wendy

Crownboy

Thanks for the synopsis. I also feel if I step foot in a church again it will be Unitarian. Your postings just settled my mind to give it a shot.

Jewel,

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Tom and I had ours yesterday. Congrats on 18 years

wendy

• Panda
    Panda

Crownboy, How wonderful for you. You now follow in the footsteps of the American Revolutionary's. Thomas Jefferson was called an athiest for his Unitarian beliefs. George Washington was also a child of the Enlightenment. The Adams' and many others were also men of conscience and believers personal accountability to humanity. My very best wishes for you, Panda

• Jewel
    Jewel

Weeeellllllll-even when I typed that, I wasn't sure if the Unitarian Church could definitively called "Christian". I guess I meant more "mainstream"?? Though there are probably Unitarians that ARE Christian, personally. That's what I always appreciated-the LACK of group-think and the abundance of self-examination, I guess.

Wendy-Happy Anniversary back atcha-a day late! We're going to settle in to watch a James Bond movie with the kids (we've been watching them in order.) If we decide to go really nuts, we'll pop some popcorn <G>

Jewel

• borgfree
    borgfree

Jewel,

I guess if I could be an Athiest-Christian then a person could be a Unitarian-Christian.

Borgfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit