WT at it again...cross or stake?

by dungbeetle 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Just found this on the Watchtower website:

http://www.watchtower.org/library/rq/index.htm?article=article_11.htm

<6. Cross: Jesus did not die on a cross. He died on a pole, or a stake. The Greek word translated "cross" in many Bibles meant just one piece of timber. The symbol of the cross comes from ancient false religions. The cross was not used or worshiped by the early Christians. Therefore, do you think it would be right to use a cross in worship?—Deuteronomy 7:26; 1 Corinthians 10:14.>

Now, not just too long ago Watchtower admitted in the Insight on the Scriptures that Jesus could have died on a stake that either had a crossbeam or did not.

Newe light, Old light, STROBE LIGHT...

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I didn't read the entire artical but that was the cover topic of July 1st WT. the whole icon thing. The cover has a PIC of Mary I will assume an inuendo of mother worship because it depics a woman praying to the virgin Mary

I just got July 15th WT today It's cover is Hell fire.
    Looks like everything lately is centering on the Catholic Church.
    I guess it could be because the Catholic church is the "major" church.

.........................It's the silence between the notes, that make the music.....................
    http://ourworld.cs.com/Pwmkwzy/WELCOMEindex.html
  • willy_think
    willy_think

Well the long wait is over, at least the WT righting staff found something they could print that would show the world how very scholarly thay are. Oh how truly deferent they are from satin's World. Thank Jehovah for such spiritual food at this most proper time.

The Great and Powerful Oz:

pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
  • dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

plmkrzy:
    nah, i think the Borg has a collective obsessive fixation on the Catholics and their cross. Could it be one of the Freudian things about poles = phallics?
    the dustrabbit

To do list:
    1.Still waiting to goose the Organization.

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

IMHO, I don't think that the WTS really cares whether Jesus was hung on a cross or a stake other than it can "claim" he was hung on a stake so they can be different than the mainstream. They use wording to keep their rank and file in line.

For example:

1) Cross vs. stakeWHO THE HELL CARES WHAT JESUS DIED ON? ALL I CARE IS THAT HE DIED FOR MY SINS.

2) Voluntary (sp, just for you LDH) donations to the cause.
    a. Yes, it is true they do not send around a basket for donations, but they certainly do have donation boxes in plain view in the Hall. They have a monthly accounting for expenses, and if that has not been met...they push (announce) that more is needed.
    b. I about tripped on the "contribution" boxes while trying to leave the summer convention. ugh!!!

3) Hell.
    a. They accuse other religions for holding hell over their parishioners (sp, another one for you LDH) yet they use different terms but it is the same thing. ie: "If you leave Jehovah, you will never live in His New System" or "If you leave, you will lose your family"...etc.

Just for LDH:

If there are any mispellings, please forgive my ignorance...I cannot be as perfect as you apparently.

• D8TA
    D8TA

7. It may be very hard to abandon some of these beliefs and customs. Relatives and friends may try to convince you not to change your beliefs. But pleasing God is more important than pleasing men.—Proverbs 29:25; Matthew 10:36, 37.

They should put an astrik at the end of this.

* Except when men please themselves with children, then it isn't as important as pleasing God.

D8TA v2.0

• TheContagion
    TheContagion

I noticed in a watchtower i picked up that they had Jesus on a beam not a pole and the nails through his wrists rather than his hands. I remember something about being told that without his arms spread to the sides one large nail would be able to hold Jesus up being through his both hands. It made me think of a JW i found on a bible debating community who had conceded to a christian that there is evidence that there was a cross beam. I'll look up the post and post a link here.
    Anyone else here the one nail arguement? Do you think that the watchtower my be conceding itself?

• nativenyr23
    nativenyr23

"The cross was not used or worshiped by the early Christians. Therefore, do you think it would be right to use a cross in worship?—"

ummm....i don't think they were worshiping at the time.....i believe he was being put to death, in the fashion that was common at the time, which happened to be called cruxifiction.

And I don't feel people USE a cross to worship. They use it to remember what happened. BUT THEN AGAIN, that's just my interpretation.....(independent thinker, that i am).

• absolutelynoone
    absolutelynoone

I don't see how it possibly matters. I mean the important thing is Jesus died for us right? Not what he died on. This is just another one of those things the WTS promotes to further divide new converts from their more mainstream relatives who might talk some sense into them. As for the nails thing-- Thomas asked to see the holes in his hands where the nails had peirced him. Since nails is plural this might further support the idea they where nailed seperately from one another as on a cross-beam.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi all,

The dogmatic, irrational insistence of those dunderheads in Brooklyn that Jesue died on a stake when in fact, the odds are about even, cross or stake, shows the lengths they will go to stand askance of the rest of humanity... to be differnt just for the sake of being contrary-- it's a cheap ploy to provoke attention from an otherwise apathetic, unheeding public.

They fail to grasp that the far stronger argument to make is that, whatever the instrument of death, be it cross, stake, hangman's noose, electric chair, whatever, it's not an object to be venerated and worn around one's neck.

As much as they're aghast at those who cover their young bodies with tatoos, sculpt their hair into outlandish shapes and colors, skewer their bodies with ringlets, when JWs throw their collective tantrums over the cross non-issue or the observance of such innocuous obervances as Mothers Day, Fathers Day or Thanksgiving, they seem to be on the same wavelength of the attention-starved punk rockers they so despise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit