How Much Do Circuit Overseers Make Under the Table, and is it Taxable?

by Tazemanian-devil 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I never heard of the green hand shake until last year, and it wasn't from here; it was from a current Elder. I was having a conversation with him about how does a CO support themselves in old age. He told me it was very common for the CO and his wife to receive $20 from members in the congregation. In fact I believe from the conversation it is actually encouraged. He told me he knew a few CO that save enough in 30 years to retire comfortably in Peru and other South American countries.

I was a naive child when active, and was only aware of the free food and lodging. I didn't know about the green handshakes. Even in poor congregations that could be $100 to $200 in a week. It might not sound like much, but tax free and no expenses that adds up fast.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"Keep your eye simple." - Unless you are a CO or DO, then live like an entitled little Napoleon!

What a freakin' scam this religion is. Hypocritical douchebags, everywhere!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    rubadub: In the United States, there is no limit on the amount that a person receives as a "gift" as long as no goods or services were received (in that case it would be considered some sort of income).

"...as long as no goods or services were received..."

Does that mean that the gift cannot be given to someone who gives them services? That if there are services received, it is no longer a gift? Don't the COs "give services" to the congregations? Don't they have certain duties and activities when they visit that they are required to perform?

I can't figure out who receives, and who gives, in the tax statute...

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    The question isn't so much as to how much they make, but as to how much MORE they makes vs what they spend. This people have very little expenses. In the grand scheme of things, we can pretty much consider them expense-less. They are fed almost everyday when in assignment, which is pretty much every day of every week. They don't pay rent or mortgage. As far as I know, in our circuit, brothers and sisters rotate in doing the cleaning of the house as well as the yard work. I think the only expense I know they have here is their clothing and whatever little thing they bring into the house. Like decorations, some furniture, etc.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    StarTrekAngel: They are fed almost everyday when in assignment, which is pretty much every day of every week. They don't pay rent or mortgage. As far as I know, in our circuit, brothers and sisters rotate in doing the cleaning of the house as well as the yard work.

If the COs and COWs had a real job, all those things would be considered "taxable benefits".

• Simon
    Simon

I wonder what benefits they claim while they are 'unable to work'?

The pioneers in our hall seemed very informed about how the tax payer could support them as they chose to shuffle their feet slowly down the street instead of doing a real days work and paying taxes.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

"...as long as no goods or services were received..."

Does that mean that the gift cannot be given to someone who gives them services? That if there are services received, it is no longer a gift? Don't the COs "give services" to the congregations? Don't they have certain duties and activities when they visit that they are required to perform?

I can't figure out who receives, and who gives, in the tax statute...

OrphanCrow

Interesting comment and thought process.

But basically the IRS have a different interpretation of "services" for religious organizations and their representatives than, for example, a waiter/waitress in a restaurant who receives tips as part of their compensation. It's just the way it is.

Religions tend to have their own set of rules which is a reason why there are so many "churches" set up that are really just scams.

And the term "services" from an IRS standpoint is not the same as from a religious standpoint. When a pastor or priest gives the Sunday "service" that is not the same as the "goods and services" mentioned in the IRS code.

Also, remember from the IRS standpoint, the money given as a "green handshake" is NOT tax deductible from the Donor's perspective. You can legally deduct money put into the contribution box at the KH since the religion is a recognized 501.c3 non-profit organization. However, the CO (or any other person, even the members of the GB) are not individually organizations that qualify for the preferred tax status. Any money you give them is just truly a "gift" and in no way legally qualifies as a tax-deductible donation for the Donor.

Rub a Dub

• millie210
    millie210
    Do C.O.s have to file a tax return?
  • redvip2000
    redvip2000

Do C.O.s have to file a tax return?

No. Their income is usually below the threshold for filing taxes, unless they somehow have other forms of income.

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

COs and their wives rack in 100s each week, cash only, in lavish gifts is another story. I would be awe stricken if they report any of it for taxing or any other purpose.

In a NH Spanish cong there used to be an elder that had heavy ties with the airport through his job, and always flew free of charge the COs to any vacation destination. Oh, that brother and his family were so loved and had so many cushy privileges in the assemblies.

SL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit