Newbie experience.....

by zamzummim 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• zamzummim
    zamzummim

What better way to join the board than jumping in with both feet? (sorry if it's too long)

My experience is somewhat similar to the ones I've read here. My mom joined the Borg when I was about 5 years old, and she dragged my two sisters and myself to every meeting from that point forward.

My stepfather never became a believer and was opposed to having his wife join this cult. The opposition became very intense at times, but naturally this only strengthened my mother's conviction that she must have found the one true religion.

We lived in a small mountain town in Northern California and the congregation was about 90 publishers. We were treated as family and given lots of attention and love. My mother craved this attention and became baptized after 6 months of studying.

My sisters and I basically "grew up" going from door to door, and were mortified if we ever knocked on the door of one of our classmates. These days, my sisters and I laugh about how we used to walk up to the door; pray nobody was home, and "fake knock" on the door. In other words, we would pretend to knock. From the street, no one could tell the difference.

Anyway, I digress. One of my sisters became a regular pioneer at the age of 17, and the other sister became tangled up in the "world". Me, I stayed the course and was baptized at 17. Of course the three of us, even though we were fairly intelligent, eschewed college life in order to "store up riches in heaven". This still makes me so furious.

My oldest sister decided to move away from the small town, and I thought I would join her. We moved to Stockton to start a new life, and while we were there, my sister stopped going to meetings and basically faded from the Organization. I was on my way out when I met my first wife, whose whole family were strong JW’s, including my father in law who was an elder.

We were married 11 months later at the tender ages of 20 and 19. We started a life that revolved solely around the teachings and the influence of Jehovah's Witnesses. For five years we were happy doing the things we believed were necessary. Eventually I was appointed as a Ministerial Servant, and my wife and I had many great friends and family in the Stockton area. I was making great strides in the congregation, conducting a Tuesday night book study, and giving Sunday talks. My mom traveled from her small mountain town to hear me give my first hour talk and the Kingdom Hall was packed. My wife and I decided to scale back on our work in order to become regular pioneers.

Of course, one small item that I'm leaving out so far from this tale is that during my tenure as a Ministerial Servant, I had once been privately reprimanded for "fooling" around with one of the married sisters in the hall, and as I began to prepare for regular pioneering, I became emotionally involved with another sister. Obviously I was only “going through the motions” of being a strong, faithful JW.

Well, this was too much. Something had to give. I used my powers of persuasion and convinced this newly baptized sister to run off with me. The day before I was to begin my service as a regular pioneer, I ran off with another woman. I was 25 at the time. I left my wife, my friends, and my mother, knowing that I would be disfellowshipped and shunned.

I wish that I could say I had been strong enough to leave on my own, or that I had begun to doubt the teachings of the Witnesses. That’s not what happened to me. I left because I was tired of pretending and because I was thinking with a different part of my anatomy. I wanted to taste what “the world” had to offer. I did what so many JW’s do; I went off the deep end. I broke up with the woman I had run off with (who had also been disfellowshipped) and spent some time addicted to drugs and mixed up with the wrong crowd.

I'm not proud of the way I left, and I'm certainly not proud that I cheated on my wife, or that I spent some 2 years deep in a hole. I am proud though that I was able to break the mind control. My sisters had already left the Borg, and one had been disfellowshipped. I shunned her for a period of three years while I was still a JW, and this too I'm not proud of. I am thankful that I had my sisters’ loving support, and without them, I’m sure I would have been pulled right back into the organization.

Today, I am remarried and expecting my first child. My life has come full circle and I’m extremely happy with what I’m doing and the type of person I have become. I have a new set of “real” friends and I couldn’t be happier. If I could say one thing to people leaving the mind control of the JW’s: it’s that there is life after the Witnesses, and there is happiness outside of that organization. I used to believe that ex-JW’s had to be the saddest people in the world. They had left “the truth” and I thought how sad to continue on in a state of limbo, knowing that Armageddon is right around the corner and knowing they would be killed. These types of thoughts are complete rubbish. There is more happiness to be found in the “world” than there is in the “truth”. It’s a sense of liberation and freedom, knowing that there are good people out there, and knowing that a loving God would never demand the impossible from us. Living up to the code of the JW’s is impossible, and will only add stress and depression to your lives.

I applaud the efforts of those that are here for support. When I left in 1990, the internet didn't exist. I also applaud all of those that have been strong enough to remove themselves from being brainwashed. Please know that there are thousands like you that are here for encouragement and support.

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

all this fooling around!!

you must be cuter than a chelsea boy.

post your pic please

• zamzummim
    zamzummim

No, not anymore.

I was cute back when I was in my early 20's. Isn't everyone?

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

NO!!

• zamzummim
    zamzummim

Point made! Yikes!

• rem
    rem

Thanks for sharing!

I was in the same congregation as you and I was a teenager when you left. I remember it caused quite a stir in the hall! :)

I'm at a pretty big crossroads in my life right now. I'm not really a wild and crazy guy, but it is a new outlook - to not be worried about silly rules and what other people think and being a good example all of the time. Doesn't that suck about the whole college thing?!!! Argghh! Well, I'm thinking about going back to school.

Glad to hear you are doing well and congrats on your upcoming daddyhood status!

If you ever find yourself in the City, look me up. I live in North Beach... lotsa cool stuff to do.

rem

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

zam - thanks for sharing that! I'm glad you were able to get out - no matter how you did it. And congrats on your new life. It really sounds like you've got both feet on the ground now. I left the borg in 90-91 too. I only found this great site this year. Make yourself at home :)

hugs,
    Mimilly

"Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent, about things that matter" ~~Martin Luther King

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Zam,

What an experience you've had! And it's nice to read that you have learned from the past, instead of letting it control you. I think that even though your past actions may be controversial to some, they obviously had the correct effect for you--you are out now!

Congratulations on your new life and family, and welcome to the board.

Becky

• Unclepenn1
    Unclepenn1

Hey Zam, welcome! Well, seeing as you will have to someday stand before God and give an account for your adulteries and other destructive behavior, how about turning to God and receiving His forgiveness through Christ? He is real, even though the WT is a lie, God is real and if He is good, He will judge mankind.You have discovered that religion is a dead end, and also that the 'world' is a dead end. There is a road that leads to LIFE, not only in the future, but NOW. I think you know what is right. I am praying that you choose the right thing.

Warm regards,

Penn

Every human being, but especially the adult, prefers to keep on believing what he already believes, and to accept ideas only when they reinforce the ideas he already has. He tends, in other words, to become less and less intellectually curious and to have more and more of a closed mind as he grows older. - Charles Adrian

"When I nominated Jesus as my supreme ecologist, years of inner pollution became instantly biodegradable" - Donald R. Brown

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

Hello, ((((((((((ZAM)))))))))) and welcome aboard !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit