Which Steve Hassan book?

by Tornintwo 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

Can anyone recommend which Steve Hassan book to read, I see there are 3.

My mind is all over the place during this process of finally acknowledging and researching my doubts, Ive been recommended his books on here, but which one is best?

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I really enjoyed Combatting Cult Mind Control.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I've only read CCMC that Londo recommends, but I could not put it down. Hassan is not writing about JWs and does not mention JWs (he was a Moonie), but WTS could be "poster child" for Cults. Their methods simply cannot be by accident.

Doc

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I have read the 1st and 3rd. I too, prefer the first. Reading this book helps you to forgive yourself and others for being duped into the cult. It also helps you over feeling like an idiot.

S Hassen is no dope. Reading about the circumstances surrounding his conversion to Moonies is a real eye-opener.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I read 'Freedom of Mind', and I did not think it very good or helpful at all.
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force
    I read Combating Cult Mind Control the new edition, this edition does mention JWs several time. And I do agree with 3rdged comment " helps you to forgive yourself and others for being duped into the cult".
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I've read the first two. If you're only going to read one, the second would be my pick. It has less biographical information concerning Hassan's experience as a Moonie and more info on helping yourself and/or loved ones getting out of and over being in a cult:

Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo
    Thanks for the tips, think I better read both, but I like oubliette's comments whose read both so I'll start with that one.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The third is like a merger of the first two. For the sake of saving money, it could be read online instead of the other two, but I much prefer the first two.

I felt that COMBATTING was better for my personal freedom of mind and that RELEASING was better for helping someone else.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent
    Tornintwo - Can anyone recommend which Steve Hassan book to read, I see there are 3.

Hi Tornintwo, Depending on what is your objective, I would recommend the following:

• "Combatting Cult Mind Control" (1st edition spell with 2 "tt" in combating) - Does not label the WTBTS as a cult nor JWs as cult members, so might be helpful to help JW's to critically think for themselves. Also, very good to help people to understand the power of BITE control so that they are more empathetic towards JWs and to forgive themselves.
    • "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves" - Provides more information about how to overcome BITE control indoctrination.
    • "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults, and Beliefs" - fills in gaps and provides more information about helping people critically think for themselves.
    • "Combating Cult Mind Control" - Provides more information about how dangerous cults use social media and more examples of helping people to critically think for themselves. Downside for helping JWs is that it does label the WTBTS as a dangerous cult or JWs as members of a dangerous cult.

I would also recommend visiting Steven Hassan's website to read summaries of his books at https://freedomofmind.com//Info/books.php or view his videos that he presents information about helping individuals at https://freedomofmind.com//Media/videos.php .

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit