Check out my article at the link below.

Doug

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

That shit lurked in the back of my mind for 15 years, until about 9 months ago when i read Ray Franz book: Crisis of Conscience ; and that was aftwe i lurked here for about 2 months.
    Point being, if you haven't read Ray's book yet, you might want to give it a whirl.

One day we'll all be together,until then I'm ready for whatever
    ---Tupac Shakur

• endoftheline
    endoftheline

If you take anything away from the whole life-altering experience that was served up to us in the JW: do not do to your kids what was done to you. The whole "compressed spring" speech that was run into the ground that was actually being done by the society themselves (see recent events on NBC that are eating up at their control) - is not what you should do with your offspring.

Let 'em be free. And hope that when they b/c curious about the JW, they look, laugh, and walk away.

end

• Farkel
    Farkel

: But I was wondering how long it takes to get all of the shit out of your head?

I've been out 30 years and like Francois and Mustang have concluded that you can leave the Borg, but the Borg but the Borg never leaves you. It has left an indelible stamp on my psyche. I'm not complaining, but grateful that I realize that. Once one can realize that, one can cope and deal with it.

I think it is harder for ones like me who were born and raised in that shit. We had no choice and like normal children, trusted our parents to do what was best for us.

I find it incredibly ironic that the Watchtower Printing Corporation makes such a BIG DEAL about how much damage is done to little children when their parents fib to them about Santa Claus. They never mention the kind of damage is done when children later find out they've wasted their entire youth serving a bunch of lying, self-aggrandizing false prophets in a Brooklyn Printing factory who care only for themselves.

Hypocrites!

Farkel

• Bang
    Bang

You guys that are still "thinking about it", why don't you search out sound spiritual teachings and find out just what it was Jesus came and said. I think you'd be more than pleasantly suprised, in fact, absolutely enthrawled - blown away actually.

You know when what you read fits - check out the groovy gurus. People need a taste of God, so don't give up praying and lose heart.
    Here's an old reading I sometimes show to others, a teaching, of the sort the dubs have never provided, and I doubt ever will.

Luke 18
    In a certain city (person) there was a judge (spirit) who didn't fear God or think about his fellowman. And there was a widow (soul, once spouse of the Spirit) in that city who kept coming to the judge and saying "Vindicate me against my adversary (the body)". For a while he refused but afterward said "because this widow (my soul) has become a bother to me, I will".
    This is the way of the unrighteous judge.

If the unrighteous judge is willing to help, won't God, speedily help His elect do this, who cry (sin), in the day (in knowledge) and night (in the dark)?
    But even when He does this, will He find faith when He comes (will we use it to help others)?

Bang

• raven101
    raven101

What has helped me more than anything probably has been spending time researching MANY religions and belief systems (not heavy duty y'know, just getting the gist of them), it helps to see the similarities and dissimilarities, and to see how they are all reflections of the time period and culture they arose in.

This helped me begin to really rid myself of that infuriating, bible-thumping, doom-saying little voice in my head. Indoctrination can be a terrible thing but it CAN be dealt with . . . even disposed of.

The point is that the WT is not the only reference point I have anymore.

Of course your normal, you were taught to see and consider EVERYTHING in relation to JW theocracy. Its just habit man, and understandable anger at feeling a victim to programming, understandable sadness at a loss of security, however false it was.

If you can learn to use your own mind and heart and not rely upon or swallow ANYBODYS teaching, your ahead of at least 90% of the world, so it will have been worth it. At least it was for me.

Raven101

• aprostate
    aprostate

I was raised a JW and was a witness for about 30 years. I have been out for 20 years.

I think leaving JWs is like mourning a death. A death of others and a death of part of yourself.

How long you have to mourn is different for everyone. IMHO I think there are alot of variables. For example, being brought up as a JW, the length of time you were in the org, if your family are JWs, how long it takes you to find support from other people and I'm sure many other things.

When you first leave you are so afraid because they say "where will you go." Eventually you find that despite what the Witnesses say, there are people that are loving who are not JWs

My love to all of you who are struggling.

Cheri

• Jewel
    Jewel

I've been out nearly 18 years. I agree with whoever said that you can leave them, but it never really leaves you. I know that my experiences will always be a part of me, but I like myself and my life now. I feel that the past brought me to this point and it's not such a bad place to be so I wouldn't change my life.

I learned alot as a Witness-not all of it good, but most of it important in some way. I would NEVER go back-the thought gives me shudders, but I try to take the things of value and leave the rest.

For example (even after 18 years) slow, relaxed, lazy Sunday mornings are SOOOOOO sweet-I don't think I would have the same appreciation if I hadn't spent all those Sundays at the KH <G>

Jewel

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

It can take a while to strike a balance.

Be patient with yourself. Enjoy the ride.

SPAZ

• dustrabbit
    dustrabbit

Been out since 1990. But I guess it's one of those things takes its own to sweet time to get out of my system...much of it in stages. I pretty much got into the holiday spirit when it comes to Christmas and B-days, but other things took time.
    relax, it just keeps getting better the more you take control of your life....which also depends on what you do with your life. I know I've made plenty of mistakes I wished I hadn't and plus I was naive in many ways and that led me into the slaughterhouse if you get my drift.
    take care,
    the dustrabbit

To do list:
    1.Still waiting to goose the Organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit