Dateline re pedophiles I hope is just thin edge...

by Jigrigger 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Jigrigger
    Jigrigger

...of the WEDGE, and not just for the JWs - although the JW might experience more rejection during door to door due to the fact they got featured on a MAJOR NETWORK during PRIME TIME - but for any other high control groups as well.
    I can't imagine that it should be very difficult for the JW leadership to effectively spin it so that there won't be much in the way of immediate problems coming from within the organization, but just as with the R.C.'s, once a few start coming forward they can empower others to do the same until the little trickle they once were able to manage becomes a torrent that forces them to come to terms with the problem.

Jrig

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Understandably not everyone saw the dateline coverage. My Satellite dish went on that blink a day before. This means the general public as a whole did not get to see the broadcast,besides they watch their favorite programs. Some will get the message via newspapers/friends.

Yes, it's trickle but it has to start somewhere.

Guest 77

• Gopher
    Gopher

I'd like to add that the program did have a considerable impact.

First off, the program won its time slot in the American television ratings, with 9.2% of all American homes on the average tuned into the Dateline NBC program that night, despite the program being rescheduled due to an NBA Basketball playoff. That translated into a 16 "share", which means out of all TV sets actually tuned in at that point, about 1 out of 6 were tuned to this program.

Secondly, the program is having its impact on many individuals, both inside and outside the organization. For eye-opening documentation on this point, refer to the thread started by Silentlambs at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=29351&site=3

-J.R.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.--Will Rogers, 1879-1935

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I think the biggest impact will be on the public. These things don't leave their memory, and since people know surprisingly little about JWs, they will identify them with what they saw on TV.

This should effectively discourage anyone from joining the religion, but also create difficulty at the doors for the next couple years, leaving local braindead JWs having to awkwardly deal with the aftermath.

Many elders who watched the program might disagree with certain aspects of it, but are likely uncomfortable with the attitude of the Society that they know all too well. The program was in most respects fair and accurate with it's portrayal of the religion and the Society and this is something that won't be forgotten by elders.

I suspect the coming ridiculous paranoia over 'apostates' and persecution will weed out many of those who recognize this for the crap it is, and further reveal those who remain to be the fundamental wackos that they already are. Talk about a bad play on the part of the Society.

Path

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

My parents (who are practicing JW) missed the airing due to a meeting. However they really wanted to see it and I know for a fact in their congregation they are passing a copy of the airing to all who are interested (you know...so they can defend themselves door-to-door), but I think it may backfire on them if it hits home to anyone. I also think that theirs is not the only congregation doing this. What they think is going to help them will probably cause their own downfall (religiously speaking that is).

• LB
    LB

I believe if I had seen such a show as Dateline back when I was studying that it would have had an effect on my study. Most likely I would have stopped.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit