A belated Introduction....

by Jewel 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Jewel
    Jewel

I sort of sneaked in and thought maybe I should do an intro. I'll try to keep this short...

I'm was a 4th generation Witness. My great-grandparents were Witnesses before there were Witnesses. Never really learned too much of the history, but I assume they were followers of Russell.

My Grandmother married a Lutheran and so my Mom and her brother (an elder) are Witnesses but the rest of my aunts and my uncle were Lutheran.

When you get to my generation, the cousins are an assortment of "In" and "Out". Non of my siblings are Witnesses (anymore) and my younger sister is disfellowshipped (for shoplifting less than $10 worth of merchandise at a drugstore.)

My mother and father were Witnesses when I was really little. My father died suddenly when I was five. My mother was disfellowshipped shortly after for celebrating Christmas. My Mom started having problems with anxiety and depression (she had lost my older sister-5yo-to a brain tumor before I was born so combined with the death of my father I suppose this was understandable..)

She decided that she needed to "find God" and decided to look in the Lutheran Church that all the rest of the relatives attended. My sister and I were baptized as Lutherans when I was maybe 7.

She then entered into a completely disastrous second marriage (physical and mental abuse, sexual abuse of my sister, etc. ad nauseum.) My Mom then decided that she needed to "get back to Jehovah." She was reinstated when I was 9.

I was grateful to Jehovah (read The Organization) for helping my mother get her head together (sort of) and I was baptized at 13. I was very devout, very good and followed all the rules. I still have problems with this one. That baptism was my idea-I felt at the time that I "owed" Jehovah for keeping my fragile family together (my mom had threatened to give my baby brother up for adoption and put us girls in foster care many times prior to her reinstatement.)

But, the baptism was a promise I couldn't keep without losing myself. When I was a teen, I started getting these little niggling doubts that I'd push down. When I was 18 I was "marked" for going to college-though at this point I knew I was going to have to support my mother and sister and brother for awhile. In college I realized what REAL friends were like and those niggling doubts wouldn't be pushed down anymore.

I got a job at the college I attended and quickly moved into administration. Two years after I had graduated, elders would still occasionally come up to me (the only ones at meetings that would talk to me-I was marked for going to college, remember) and ask how classes were going...they didn't have a CLUE about my life. I would tell them classes were going just fine. I knew by now that this was not the truth, but my Mom was still fragile and my younger siblings needed somebody to hold things together. I was supporting the family financially and living at home and still didn't want to rock our shaky little boat.

A couple of years after this, I met my husband. He was not religious-he taught at the college where I was working. Now I was being marked for the college thing AND the worldly boyfriend thing.
    I had helped Mom apply for some funding from my father's union and she was getting enough to get by. My brother was in high school and my sister was married. I decided that I needed to start living a life for me and I planned my marriage.

None of the elders (even my uncle) would perform the ceremony-they said that they would be putting their blessing on a marriage that wouldn't last. I don't suppose that I need to mention that of the three Witness weddings that took place in the KH the month I was married all have ended in divorce. My husband and I will be married 18 years in a couple of weeks. So much for the powers of prophecy. I ended up finding a wonderful Unitarian minister to officiate. I lied to my mother and told her the lady was a Justice of the Peace or she wouldn't have come to my wedding. A "sister" worked at the hotel where my hus. family stayed when they came to the wedding and reported to the elders that we had had a Unitarian minister. The elders called my Mom on the carpet-couldn't call me because I was on my honeymoon-and she didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. I just remembered-hadn't thought of this in years-that they sent another sister out to talk to me THE DAY OF MY WEDDING to try to talk me out of it. All very weird, and looking back on it, sort of surreal. When we watched Dateline, my husband's first comment was that he was VERY glad we had not been married by an elder.

In the end, I just drifted out. I'm not df'd, not da'd-just hard for them to label. This makes it easier for my mother and other than that is immaterial to me.

I'm married, have three kids. We homeschool the kids and when I tell people this I always want to say, "But not because we're fundamentalists!" The homeschooling community has sort of this continuum from super fundamentalists (the ones you hear about the most) to latter day flower children raising their kids naked in the woods. We're actually pretty middle of the road-in most every way.

Gosh-didn't mean to write so much. The wonderful thing about this board is that you will understand this all in a different way than somebody who has never been a Witness. My husband is an ex-Methodist and he thinks that is pretty much the same thing...chuckle. He is a great guy, but in this, no matter how he tries to understand, there is no way to understand being a Witness until you've been there.

A belated "hi" to everyone...

Jewel

• larc
    larc

Jewel,

Thanks for your story. You are right, your husband and no one else can understand it, unless they have lived it. I am glad you are with us.

Take care, Jewel.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

And a belated welcome to you, Jewel. I can relate to your story about marriage within the dubs. I didn't become a JW until later in life, in my 40s. Shortly after getting baptized, I met a JW woman (now separated) and planned on marriage. My third, her second. During courtship, we engaged in some petting, no intercourse. Of course, she had a tinge of guilt about it and reported it to the elders. We were hauled up before a Judicial Committee. We had already married by this time, even though they refused to marry us in the Kingdom Hall. Had it done by a judge at the courthuse, where the elder that refused to marry us and eventually headed the JC attended. Since we had married, they let us off light, private reproof. We were not allowed to comment at meetings, say public prayers, or read at the book study. I always felt this was sport of silly.

But, the one that bothers me the most was when my nonJW daughter was married. No one else in my family came to the JWs, only me. One elder let me know that I was going against God if I took part in my daughters wedding, since it was to be performed by a minister of another religion in a rented chapel. I attended the wedding, but was told that I was really on thin ice for doing so. I stayed in the back with the new wife and her brats (a major reason we are now separated and divorcing). I felt really guilty about not walking my own daughter down the aisle, something I had looked forward to since the day she was born. We discussed it and she understood and have since put it far behind us. Later, I came to find out that it was strictly a conscience matter for me, according to another elder. So much for "pure language," right?

Not long after finding this and many other things out, I went inactive, until I just coiuldn't stand their meddling and interference in my life anymore and disassociated myself. When my second daughter married, prior to my DAing, I proudly walked her down the aisle and said the hell with what any dub thinks. Within a couple years of that, I was DA'd.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Jewel, welcome!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Hi Jewel, thanks for posting and the background...sounds familiar...

I, too, went to college, drifted out and was refused a JW elder for my marriage. Same reason...it won't last....15 years and counting. We got a retired judge.

Your mother sounds interesting....the "I am going to get rid of/give you away/take you to an orphanage" thing. My mother said those words after her divorce. She too married an abuser, far worse than my father. Stepfather beat her senseless while I was away at school.

The similarities are striking. E-mail me if you ever want to talk...I'll send you my phone #.

Again, welcome,
    Tina

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Thanks for sharing, Jewel.

You sound like you've adjusted very well... except for that whole naked in the woods home-schooling thing

Welcome!

Hmmm

• Carmel
    Carmel

You sure are a jewel, Jewel!

carmel

• Jewel
    Jewel

Thanks all for your kind words! Now I just have to figure out how to stay OFF the internet now and then so I can spend time making meals and sleeping and stuff like that...

HMMM-Actually my kids would be completely appalled by that "naked" reference. They're all at the age where they are completely and totally modest. When I remind them that I've changed their diapers, they roll their eyes and beg me never to say that when "anyone" is around...

• outnfree
    outnfree

Welcome to the Board, Jewel!

You'll find it's quite addicting to finally have conversations with people who actually relate!

<< also married a worldly guy -- gave up getting baptized for many years because of it. Converted to 'save' my infant daughter from imminent destruction ... we are out and dying like everyone else!, but I'm still married (24 years next month)!!!

outnfree

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

• outnfree
    outnfree

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Didn't see your "sleep deprivation" note until after I'd replied and the page was refreshed!

Welcome to my world! (Just left chat to finally start dinner!)

outnfree

When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit