"All of them witches"...

by Preston 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• arachnia
    arachnia

Over my years of study I've ran into many misconceptions about "Pagan" "Witch" "Wicca" and so on. About a year ago, I attempted to clarify the basics about Pagan religions/beliefs to a group of moderators I was working with on another discussion forum. The result was an essay on "What does it mean to be Pagan?" It is now archived on my website. I'm not suggesting that it's the end-all, be-all, but I'd like to think it's fairly well-researched and written. (I've had compliments on it from long-time followers of a variety Pagan traditions so something must be alright in it.) ;)

Anyhow, here is a link to it in case anyone is interested:
    http://www.exjwpagans.org/PaganSynopsis.html

Cheers,
    ~arachnia

"The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers."
    -Princess Leia to Governor Tarkin in SW:ANH

• Preston
    Preston

raven101 - Thank you for your concise reply ...

COMF - Thank you for a definiton, I think it's good that you kind of helped me narrow the scope here...

crawdad2 - Thank you for supporting our relationship, believe it we need all the support we can get.

Silverleaf - I liked your advice silverleaf. I have been reading a lot about it. the thing that surprised me was when he said that being a pagan and a witch was the same thing. I didn't know that, but it made me think about your comments about how you can have 11 different beliefs centered around it.

b_ster - Thanx b_ster, I have looked at it, and it did answer some of my questions.

Xander - I thought your comments were pretty interesting. My bf said that Hitler was taught under a well-known warlock, hence his interest in the occult and his infamy.

Lindy - I liked your daughter's web site, I find it interesting that she made it with kids in mind....

DevonMcBride - The belief of Karma I thought was pretty interesting since I only associated it with Hinduism. We had a loooong discussion about Karma the other day BTW.

Jewel - Interestingly, he mentioned the golden rule as being comparable to the belief in karma that many witches hold.

arachnia - I have visited your web site a couple of times (i did read the first and second part of your biography BTW). I do like reading all the responses you post on the site. Interstingly, I was fascinated by the occult when I was about 6 or 7 and he thinks that in a previous lifetime it may have held a higher position in my life than it does now. Interesting....

Not to diminish everyone else's comments but I'm waiting for gsx to respond, I would love to hear your thoughts. I even added that "witchtower" comment with him in mind...:)

• larc
    larc

Preston,

I have some questions.

You say that witch means wise. Does that make it so? If I said that Larc meant meant wise, would that make it so? I think not.

People of that faith can cast spells. Can that be proved?

What exactly is karma anyway? Sounds like a very loosey, goosey term to me.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I think the whole concept is a bunch of foolishness, much like the Witnesses.

Believe in the JWs. Believe in Amway. Believe in Wicca. Just don't try to tell me there is any truth in any of it.

• Preston
    Preston

Hi Larc,

First of all, I liked your reply for it's candor and honesty. My comments make it pretty clear that I'm a skeptic at heart and I do not take these statements in credulity. My boyfriend has decided to embrace this as a part of his life and I have decided to let him be. I'm merely trying to know more about his belief system. Believe me, when we are discussing karma, the afterlife, witches and spells, all of these things will meet my criticism in the same way I approach the Bible, the Koran, and the Rig-Veda...

If you haven't figured it out yet, I think the whole concept is a bunch of foolishness, much like the Witnesses.
    That's what I got from your post. Thank you for reiterating how so many people feel, but please understand that although I am skeptical, I realize that this is not a fool-proof guide to examining the spiritual.

Preston.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Although I will not claim membership to any man-made religious organization, I believe in the God who created this beautiful earth and I have a little witchery in me. Don't see any evil in it.

• COMF
    COMF

Three reasons...

Edited by - COMF on 15 June 2002 13:57:24

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit