AlanF gave me a virus!

by terafera 15 Replies latest jw friends

• terafera
    terafera

Not the one that posts here...but I recently received an email from an 'AlanF' saying there was important info inside. When I opened it, it did nothing. Turns out it was a virus and thankfully I got rid of it.

When will I learn to not open emails from people I dont know?? The name threw me off though, I thought it was in regards to the jw.com board..... hmmm.. could this be 'theocratic warfare'?

Be careful everyone!

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I've been meaning to email freepeace, I've been getting emails from a 'freepeace' that are suspicious, I just been deleting them.

I know it isn't OUR freepeace, so I just was gonna get around to it when I get around to it.

For myself, I NEVER EVER send attachments without discussing it in advance, sometimes even a phone call first. So you know NEVER to open anything from DUNGBEETLE if you haven't heard from me first.

May I recommend the same for everyone.

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• happy man
    happy man

Was it you who maild mee, foor a few days ago, or was it someone els?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yesterday I posted a message with the subject "EMAIL VIRUS ALERT."

I suspect that this is precisely what I was trying to alert everyone to.

"...a voice crying out in the wilderness..."

• Solace
    Solace

Someone on this board also sent me a virus however it was not intentionally sent. Many viruses once givin to someone send themselves to everyone in the computers address book without the users knowledge. The reason I found this out is because after I had gotten rid of the virus, it had already sent itself to almost everyone in my address book. I felt awful since it sent itself to many of my friends and family. It also used addresses in my address book as the "senders address". example, I got one from myself to myself. This "Alan F" may not actually be the sender but could have been in someones address book along with your e-mail address. Very sneaky these buggers are.
    Although not to rule out that there are some crazies out there who probably love sending these things, Im sure if someone was the actual sender of the virus they wouldnt include their own e-mail address as the "from" for the whole world to know. Unless of course they are as dumb as they are deranged.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Heaven is right, if someone else has a virus and your email is in their address book, they will send it to you and it will appear sometimes that you sent it. Rado Vlugel said I sent him a virus, when he is not in my address book and I have not emailed him in ages. Furthermore, my system is virus-free by repeated checking.

Randy

Net Soup!
    http://www.freeminds.org

• professor
    professor

The latest virus is a worm that also uses addresses in your notebook to send to YOU. Which means the source of the email is not necessarily the person who has the email address. Unfortunately, it is possible for anyone in the world to use any email address. For instance, I could send you an email from your own email address and you would never know it came from me. One of the people I supposedly got the worm email from is my sister from a closed email address. She can no longer use the email account personally because it is closed, yet the worm uses the Internet to send me an email from that address.

If you have WORM_KLEZ.G you will think you are getting the emails from your friends, but it is very possible that they did not nor did their computer send it to you.

See the thread from Simon entitled: Warning Re: fake emails

• FreePeace
    FreePeace

Hey Dungbeetle,

I'm sorry you've been getting emails with my name on them. I haven't sent you any, nor do I have you in my address book. I think someone is playing some jokes here.

I got a virus about a month ago, and ultimately had to replace my computer. I don't know where I got it from, but I couldn't seem to recover from it without getting a new computer.

I've received several suspicious emails lately too, but I can't identify from who.

FreePeace
    "The World is my country, and to do good, my religion." --Thomas Paine
    TruthQuest: http://beam.to/truthquest
    Who Am I? -How to Reinvent Yourself After Leaving the WTS

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Can anyone tell me if the virus is sent only as an attachment or is it transmitted just by opening up the email itself?

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• Valis
    Valis

Had, you can't get viruses by simply opening mail yet....heheh, you have to execute the virus on your machine. Here is a link that I have my students read and provides an adequte, but not too technical explanation.

http://www.gerlitz.com/virushoax/

the transcript of terafera JC:

Elder: So Alanf gave you a virus? Please go into greater detail....panties or thongs? *L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit