NEW JW POLICY POSTED!!!

by amac 67 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I would agree that this has always been the policy of the Society, but I think stating it so clearly and giving it so much publicity now will do much to prevent elders from giving these individuals a hard time. It is increasingly difficult to argue these individuals are not aware they cannot go to the authorities.

It is hard to argue that this is not a step in the right direction and I agree that it should be welcomed. That this issue is finally being discussed openly is a good thing. Sure it has is far from being complete and it has been forced from "dissidents" but a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction.

The reality is this group has no real intentions of reforming this policy, or at least that is not where their heart is. Their hearts, and mine is with the destruction of the WT, so we will always find fault and nothing will ever be adequate until this harmful cult is finished.

Path

• Xander
    Xander

You compare this to the blood issue, but it is completely different. On blood, the elders and HLC ACTIVELY discourage witnesses from using blood, and it is a common belief among JW's to not take blood.

No, it is EXACTLY the same.

Yes, the elders actively discourage you from taking blood. Yes, you will be kicked out if you do. Yes, it is common belief among the JWs.

However, care to examine what the watchtower's literature actually says in print? It sounds suspiciously like what they say in print above. "MAY be required", "MAY wish to", etc. When we all know what EFFECTIVELY the restriction is.

What I want them to say is "YOU MUST REPORT EVERY INCIDENT" or, perhaps, "WE REALIZE THE ELDERS ARE NOT QUALIFIED TO HANDLE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS, AND REQUIRE THEM TO ALWAYS REPORT THIS TO THE POLICE".

Child abuse should never, ever, under ANY circumstances, EVER be handled 'internally'. Or rely on the victim to speak up.

That's why I see this as a step backward. It's simply a pretty PR statement that changes no policy (hell, they even bother to mention the 2-witness requirement in it), and how many, like you seem to be, are going to drop the struggle now, or let up, because they put on the face of making a concession?

Best case scenario (to us anyway), only their own flock will be misled for a while about the statement. I suspect, though, they put this in writing to placate other possible news sources from picking up the Dateline story.

Xander F
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America - Ohio order)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Good for them.

• amac
    amac

Path -

The reality is this group has no real intentions of reforming this policy, or at least that is not where their heart is. Their hearts, and mine is with the destruction of the WT, so we will always find fault and nothing will ever be adequate until this harmful cult is finished.

I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I believe you are right. I am hoping that Bill Bowen will respond to this thread since his sole agenda is to protect the victims of child molestation, and he too may find some hope in this clarification.

I always enjoy your posts Path as you are very objective. I find it odd that you too are bent on the demise of the WT. I believe a religious org like the WT is essential for many people, and if it goes away something else will replace it. It would seem to me to be a better route, if one is so concerned with the members of an org, to focus on growing it's good qualities and squashing it's bad.

Cheers,
    amac

• gumby
    gumby

Quote: "no sanction against witnesses who report allegations and that it is their ABSOLUTE RIGHT to do so".

Did it say of a CONVICTED offender.
    One who HAS confessed...or....was cought?

Did it clarify...."even it he denies it you may go to the authorities.....after.....the brothers have talked to him and he STILL denies it....you may go the the authorities" and we will give you no trouble?

Even if you are not disfellowshiped;

how will one be treated by others if the victim DOES go to the authorities? Will they be able to feel no guilt? No fear of being judged by others? No fear of feeling like an outcast for "causing trouble"?

I think we all know the answer......so.....will anything really change?

I hope so.

• amac
    amac

Xander -
    You seem to be very subjective to your anti-WT thinking, to the point where you remind me of talking to a hardcore JW.

[quote]No, it is EXACTLY the same.

Yes, the elders actively discourage you from taking blood. Yes, you will be kicked out if you do. [/quotes]

So you are saying that, since they are exactly the same, since it is a common action of elders to discourage the use of blood, it is also a common action for them to discourage the reporting of allegations and to DF those who do. Maybe we should take a poll of all the ex-elders on this list and ask them if that would have been a common understanding among them when they were gung ho elders? I don't think that would be the case.

I am tired of defending something as obvious as this. No matter what your argument is, this will help clarify to elders that there are no sanctions against those reporting allegations and JWs can use this press release if their elders try anything. I've already stated it is not a final solution, but it is good for the children.

Dutchie -
    Please read the second paragraph in my first post on this thread.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

amac,

The reason people seem so skeptical is because this type of language is very similar to the vague statements they make about the 'new' blood policy. Sorry, but they have a track record of being very deceitful, and having a practical application that is vastly different from their stated policy. I was only a MS, and I went to elder/ms meetings where the CO gave oral instructions that were almost the opposite of "official" instructions.

IF they were sincere in this. IF they didn't secretly say "they can go to the authorities, but we'll accept that as their wish to be DAd for causing divisions" then I'd wholeheartedly agree that it's a step in the right direction.

You're not having to argue that this documented policy is a good thing, but the WTS horrendous track record with playing fast and loose with the truth will leave you arguing that they're sincere.

Assuming for a second that this is completely on the up-and-up, it's a good thing. If so, I think the years to come will lead to an incredible increase in reporting of abuse. I'll be interested to see if they don't later tighten things up because they have far more reports than they anticipated.

Hmmm

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Amac,

I at one time thought the same as you. Those sorts of feelings are a first step to leaving the JWs. Eventually you realize the whole premise of this religion is faulty and there is nothing to reform it into.

Anything organized corrupts eventually. No matter what good there is in this organization, one eventually finds that it comes at a price of compromising all of the noble ideals it was founded upon.

I enjoy your posts as well and I think you are on the right track.

Path

• Valis
    Valis

amac, lets assume the elders don't go to the cops, the pedophile repents and doesn't get kicked...do the elders report to the congo that they have a pedophile in their midst? HELL NO! How would you like to be the parent of JW kids and realize that your children may come into contact with such a sicko three times a week or more? The conversation shouldn't be just about contacting the law or even that the dubs make insignificant press releases. After leaving my grandmother and the entire family destitute, the pedophile/abuser/wife beater moved around to different congos, started several new families and abused them too, AND held positions of responsibility. You see its saying one thing and doing nothing that is the real issue. JWs have no centralized means of keeping track of the shitheels that molest children/abuse women and are allowed to stay in. Why? Because in order to do that the WT would have to admit there was a serious problem and take real action to safeguard the entire flock.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Farkel
    Farkel

: "Additionally, the victim may wish to report the matter to the authorities, and it is his or her absolute right to do so."

Of COURSE it is their "absolute right" to go to the authorities. Much to their chagrin, the WTS cannot make the laws of the land. The WTS also holds that it is THEIR absolute right to DF someone for exercising their legal absolute right to go to the authorities.

This is as devious as saying "we don't automatically disfellowship our members if they take blood transfusions."

Of COURSE they don't "automatically" DF people for taking blood transfusions. First, they hold a kangaroo court. THEN they DF them. So you see, it is not "automatic" at all.

Same old Watchtower bullshit and trickery. Different day.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit