why is a kingdom hall called a kingdom hall

by orangefatcat 21 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It is called a Kingdom Hall because someone can`t spell correctly.The original name was Kingdung Hole,a place of never ending shit.If it was just a regular Dung Hole eventually JW`s would run out of shit to say and peddle.That will never happen with a Kingdung Hole.With WBTS in charge there will always be plenty of shit.(LOL)...OUTLAW

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

I'm with Nathan on this one. I believe Rutherford was probably staggering back to the subway in Manhattan after a night out on a bender and misunderstood another drunk on the train who said to Rutherford, "Hey, you seem tall". Rutherford thought he said Kingdom Hall and thought God was talking to him about a massive real estate scheme.

When he got back to Bethel, Fred Franz heard the story and wrote an article about Kingdom Halls.

Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Because, as my oldest daughter says..they have to be different about EVERYTHING, to make sure that they stand out as wacko's properly.

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Chaka.

That's why I openly refer to it as "CHURCH" even to my JW family.

When they bristle at the word church, I remind them that it is a latin word for Congregation. What could POSSIBLY be wrong with that?

Lisa

• wokeup
    wokeup

This change signified Rutherfords' perception of the church or congregation of god. With the recent reinterpretation of the identity of the great crowd in Rev.7 it seemed to Rutherford inappropriate to call the house of worship 'the church' any longer since the future coverts weren't even called christians at the time, but jonadabs.
    Just my thoughts.
    Allen

• FriendlyFellaAL
    FriendlyFellaAL

Have you guys noticed that recently even they have been referring to it as a 'church' and not a Kingdom Hall? I noticed also on the JW Media site just yesterday that several of the videos they put up in response to the Dateline investigation include the use of 'church' in place of Kingdom Hall.

Brian

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Greetings,

Rutherford may have been influenced by his Knights of Pythias background when he coined the term KINGDOM HALL. As a young man Rutherford belonged to the Knights and several other fraternal organizations that met in lodge halls where a lot of drinking may have taken place.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

We have a KH calles a "Jehovah's Witness Centre" here in Winnipeg Canada. I went there thinking it might be the Assembly hall but it was just a newly built hall.

I had never heard of this and was wondering if there are any others out there ... somewhere.

A not-so-silent lamb

Aspire to inspire before you expire

• Beans
    Beans

The term Kingdom Hall was derived from a 1914 movie called THE OUTHOSE! In this film a group from a religious cult were looking for a new term for there place of rest and so they called it the Kingdom Hall. It was not until 1925 that this story was being told in a coffee shop in New York and a few bible students who were enjoying there daily dougnut and thought that it was appropriate for there place of worship.

Beans

• spaz
    spaz

Looks like Athanasius beat me to the punch. Like Russell, Rutherford also seems to have been connected to some masonic lodge (there are a myriad of different names). In the early days and even now in some places, there's a preference to use masonic halls. 'Kingdom Hall' is probably a Freudian referencing the historic WTS masonic link.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit