The Atheist Ten Non-Commandments

by AndDontCallMeShirley 3 Replies latest social humour

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

According to a number of studies though, religion is in trouble. A survey by the PEW Research Center in 2012 saw record numbers indicating a huge upswing in Atheism, with 20 percent of Americans now identifying as Agnostic, Atheist or "Unaffiliated" with a religion. This was the highest percentages ever of "nones" or those who are unaffiliated in Pew Research Center polling.

So with more people considering themselves atheist, what do they believe when it comes to the rules to live by? As part of the new book Atheist Mind, Humanist Heart: Rewriting the Ten Commandments for the Twenty-first Century, authors Lex Bayer and John Figdor held a contest in which atheists were asked to offer modern alternatives to the Ten Commandments.

Here are the winners of the "Ten Non-Commandments:"

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.

3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.

4. Every person has the right to control of their body.

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.

7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.

8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations

9. There is no one right way to live.

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.

And there's your moral code. No need to carve it in stone or hand it down from a mountain. Did we ever really need a supernatural being or a book to tell us these things? I think we'll be just fine on our own. All we need to do is start thinking for ourselves.

-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-siebold/dont-just-question-the-te_b_6367584.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

• DJS
    DJS

ADCMS,

Ditto to all 10. It is how I try to live. Thanks for sharing.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Amen.

• glenster
    glenster

Believers or non-believers in the basic god/God concept, kept in mind as a possibility you might hope for or not, can be right by science or ethics

I'd discourage conservative belief stances as I would conservative social stances as matters of misinformation and needless harm. Ethics dictate harm would by unjustified for a possibility--it would be arbitrary--sadism and murder.  And kept in mind as a possibility beyond what science determines it wouldn't make for a reason to change the findings of science.

I would then just add that you don't need to not believe in god/God to live by the things listed, either--to be a nice ethical person up to speed on things 

And, whichever your choice, try to be friends and not 'centric or intolerant either way.  'Centric intolerance has caused the most harm by believers or non-believers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit