Public Speaker Training stifled by wt, it's new 'school' programme.

by prologos 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

They have "demonstrations" of how to have "Family Worship"?!?!?

WTF!!!

• 88JM
    88JM
    They have "demonstrations" of how to have "Family Worship"?!?!?

I'm sure many can remember years ago when the book study was still going and meetings were much longer, despite the constant nagging at meetings about having a family study, very few families actually did it.

I think they were trying not to let the same thing happen with the family worship night - the C.O.'s have been nagging the Ministerial Servants and Elders to set an example and also mention family worship in their talks. Reports C.O.'s are getting indicate (unsurprisingly) that not many families are following through with it, and single people are basically ignored so they certainly don't bother.

As a single person, I personally found most of the time and items spent at meetings talking about family worship a total waste, depressing and insulting, as it was all geared towards families, and making things more interesting for kids.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Family worship?! They have to demonstrate how to regurgitate information?they will probably have someone try to make it seem like it's fun, and not a huge waste of time.

DD

• prologos
    prologos

sr82, thank you for that detail, it slipped through the cracks in the audio.

yes Oubliette, they actually had an elder & his family faking the "w the w night" (sans prayer) as a demonstartion for the No.3 talk on the platform.

It was a curious meeting, 2 letters read about money, another about going to build branches? khs somewhere else! and before,

The downsizing of the meaningful part, the personal quality building in the "school"'

the one redeeming feature of wt membership, -- they train new public speakers-- eliminated, or , according to sir82's info, vastly reduced.

stifled.

wait for the sequel. and

Searcher, did not Paul call his words in ! Cor. 14 -- 37: "-- these are the Lord's commandmend."? The Lord, now in the 101th year of his pre-millenium reign?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They are really desperate to forge some kind of emotional bond with the youth. JWism doesn't have anything else to offer. It's probably reached world headquarters, that children are hating family worship night. If the kids are not young enough to be enamored with Caleb and Sophia, what else is there? The GB are so out of touch with reality, they don't have a clue what teenagers want or need.

Had they not been so judgemental and labeled everything fun as worldly, they wouldn't be in this mess right now.

DD

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

One other detail is slightly different from the opening post. The brother giving the Bible highlights actually only has TWO minutes to give his point. So one of the only times a brother has the opportunity to express his own thoughts about a passage of scripture has been cut in half.

I remember when the highlights were an unscripted 6 minutes for the brother - then it was cut to 4 and now 2.

Two minutes and he is only allowed to consider one highlight point. Information control much?

-TE

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

One other detail is slightly different from the opening post. The brother giving the Bible highlights actually only has TWO minutes to give his point. So one of the only times a brother has the opportunity to express his own thoughts about a passage of scripture has been cut in half.

I remember when the highlights were an unscripted 6 minutes for the brother - then it was cut to 4 and now 2.

Two minutes and he is only allowed to consider one highlight point. Information control much?

Yep, now even if an awake elder/MS gets the part, any anti-WTS point that might be made will quickly be drowned out by the comments of the other elders and elders' wives. At the same time, they make the part "easier" for those that are just floating and avoiding getting appointed because they don't want to do more talks. win-win for them.

• prologos
    prologos

T-elder, thanks, It is worse than my hearing allowed.

WOW 2 minutes to comment on a 3-5 chapter bible reading? and

the speakers comment has to be as it applies to a congregation / field service NEED? and then -- 30 second comments-- by the "publishers" ?

• SadElder
    SadElder

The whole training benefit flew out the window when they brought out the new "Benefit" book. There was no real counsel to be given, just platitudes on what they did correct. There was supposed to be private counsel, but with everyone straining to run out the door at the closing amen you know that rarely happened.

I'm not sure how speakers are to be trained today, certainly not in places of higher education. Maybe that's why more and more prerecorded drivel these days.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Well in case you haven't noticed, the members of the governing body are not impressive public speakers at all, compared to many "rank and file" elders who give public talks.

They clearly don't pay too much attention to their own art of public speaking so why should it be surprising that they would vote to cut out public speaking training parts from the TMS?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit