The WTS’s “2520 years” did not commence at the same time as their “70 years”

by Doug Mason 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The WTS says that the 70 years began when the last Jews entered Egypt (7th month, Feast of Gedaliah), and that this final exodus took place in 607 BCE.

They then say that Jerusalem was destroyed 2 months earlier (5th month) and that this event marked the end of the Davidic kingdom, which commenced the 2520 years. On that basis, if my reading is correct, their 2520 years ended on the 5th month of 1914, not in October.

Further confusion reigns, since according to Parker and Dubberstein, in 607 BCE the Babylonians inserted an intercalary second Elul before Tishri. From memory, Thiele says that Jeremiah used the Babylonian calendar.

I know that their chronology and eisgeses are totally fanciful; I am simply addressing the logic in the thinking that they appear to present.

I have elsewhere shown that it is more likely that the time fom the destruction of Jerusalem to the exodus into Egypt is more likely to have been at least 2 years, perhaps as long as 4, so I am not canvassing that issue here either.

Doug

• St George of England
    St George of England

Doug

I have never heard that the 2520 years began when the last Jews entered Egypt.

I always thought they began the 70 years and the 2520 years from October 607 BCE as per the "Bible Teach" book:-

*** bh p. 217 par. 4 1914—A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy ***

The 2,520 years began in October 607 B.C.E., when Jerusalem fell to the Babylonians and the Davidic king was taken off his throne. The period ended in October 1914. At that time, “the appointed times of the nations” ended, and Jesus Christ was installed as God’s heavenly King.—Psalm 2:1-6; Daniel 7:13, 14.

George

ed: WT teachings & beliefs, not mine!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hi Doug.

As St. George said, the 2520 years commences when Zedekiah was removed. That period is to do with the absence of a Davidic king until Jesus' enthronement in 1914.

On the other hand, the 70 years is to do with how long the land was 'desolate, without an inhabitant' which, as the WTS maintains, started from Tishri 607 BCE (the flight to Egypt) to Tishri 537 BCE (the resettlement in Israel).

Further confusion reigns, since according to Parker and Dubberstein, in 607 BCE the Babylonians inserted an intercalary second Elul before Tishri. From memory, Thiele says that Jeremiah used the Babylonian calendar.

Ahh but the intercalary months are attached to kings' regnal years, not BCE dates. No intercalary month is attested to Nebuchadnezzar's 18th year.

As an aside, the intercalary Ululu/Elul (6th month) assigned to 607/6 BCE (really Nabopolassar's 19th year) is an error. See note 9 on p. 4 of P&D as to the uncertainty about this cited tablet. There are actually 5 tablets attesting to Nabopolassar's 18th year having an intercalary Ululu/Elul (C. B. Walker, CBT).

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Oh good grief, I must be half asleep!

I said,

As St. George said, the 2520 years commences when Zedekiah was removed. That period is to do with the absence of a Davidic king until Jesus' enthronement in 1914.

Yes, duh. You are right, Doug. There is an inconsistency. Zed removed 5th month, but 2520 years counted from 7th month, and Davidic kingdom restored 7th month.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Just pick a number or a date and I'm sure the wtbts will be able to fit it into their 'end of the world' mantra. They can convince any 'good' dubber that their calculations are correct and the rest of the scientific world is wrong. We were there once---remember?

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

St George,

I know this is all unreal WTS thinking, but I am simply pointing out what they are saying, and its implications for them.

The WTS starts the "70 years" from the moment that the last Jews, including Jeremiah, went into Egypt. This took place in the 7th month. (See The Watchtower, October 1, 2011, pages 27-28

The WTS starts its 2520 years from the timing of Jerusalem's destruction. This took place in the 5th month. (Jer 52:12)

The WTS assumes that these events took place in the same year. It assumes, without any evidence, that the first returnees assembled at the site of the destroyed temple in 537 BCE. This took place in the 7th month.

They then count back 70 years to the exodus into Egypt; ergo 607 BCE. They then go back a further two months to date the destruction of Jerusalem in the same calendar year, thereby locating its start of the 2520 years. The have a two month link between the exodus and the destruction, which I say is inconceivable:

http://www.jwstudies.com/Did_Jews_exit_after_two_months.pdf

Ann, I take your point. Thanks.

Doug

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Yes, it did. Both started in 607 when Daniel was taken captive.

He knew of Jeremiah's prophesy of the 70 years captivity and when it would end because he knew when it started, because he was there.

In the 3rd year of Jehoiakim's kingsship the 2520 years started when they were invaded as it said in Daniel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit