Men are not looking forward to becoming Elders or Ministerial Servants

by Hidden-Window 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Hidden-Window
    Hidden-Window

I have noticed an apparently increasing number of men who are not interested in becoming Ministerial Servants or Elders. I also know of some that have voluntarily stepped down (which is my case) for no obvious solid reason.

I remember, during my teenage years or even during my twenties, the brothers were always looking forward to being appointed... Although many still do, I have noticed there are many others with whom you do not know what the deal is.

Since there is no freedom of speech within the organization, we remain in the dark about the motives and desires of everybody else. I attend a congregation with only two Ministerial Servants, while it is full of men who do not seem to be willing to do more.

It is hard to tell exactly what is going on, since honesty is not possible while you are inside, but I am starting to think that more and more are becoming disillusioned...

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Anyone with any sense would have to be aware of the pitfalls of appointment,

not just for the appointed man but his whole "household"comes under scrutiny. FT!

Then there are others who would serve, but don't have the "spiritual qualifications" as per the local elders.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

There is no upside to these appointments, only negative.

The only people these days who would want appointments are those unable to obtain a sense of achievement elsewhere in life.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The only people these days who would want appointments are those unable to obtain a sense of achievement elsewhere in life.

I think that has been the case for many years , its an ego trip for many.

smiddy

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

How things must have changed !

Once, they were climbing over each other to be appointed.

Bill

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes, bb, I remember the days when the elder wannabees would practically

start dry-humping the CO when he visited.

What's becoming of this religion. Bunch of pussies.

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

As an ex elder used at every level of the organization.....let me assure you, any man that actually wanted to be an elder or MS should seek therapy.

It is a terrible, thankless job.

• prologos
    prologos

but their women do.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thumbs up berrygerry! That comment is spot on!

Only people who are "nobodies" in the real world, desire to be "somebodies" or "big fish" in the small goldfish bowl of the witness world!

• erbie
    erbie

Many enjoy the title of elder or servant as they feel it gains them some acceptance within the fold in the form of prestige or prominence.

But really, I think many are now looking to the real world in order to fulfil their ambitions and aspirations with real, tangible benefits rather than the petty tokens offered by the Watchtower which, let's face it, are valueless outside of the fold and of no consequence whatsoever to educated, sophisticated people.

Better to be an average sized fish in a large ocean than an over-grown, over-inflated fish in a small puddle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit