Joe Cocker RIP

by NewYork44M 22 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

That album, Hortensia, "Les Mad Dogs, Les Englishmen, and Joe Cocker!" I always loved his version of She Came In Through the Bathroom Window on that.

• steve2
    steve2

One of the very best singers England has ever produced. He's up there with the sublime Dusty Springfield - two blue-eyed soul singers without equal.

He was a true rough diamond.

Few singers have ever covered a Beatles' song and made it better which is what he did with Lennon/McCartney's "With a Little Help from My Friends" (mind you, Ringo was no great shakes as a singer!).Boy did Joe Cocker turn that song into a devastating anthem of the human need for social approval! His version is still spine-tingling after all these years

! And to prove it was no fluke, he shone on his reading of the Beatles' "She Came in through the Bathroom Window".

Rest in peace you true blue Englishman.

• LV101
    LV101

Oh no - sorry to hear this. I loved his voice and went to a couple of his concerts in the 70s. Just plain sad.

• flipper
    flipper

One hell of a singer. Rest in peace Joe

• smiddy
    smiddy

We had the privelidge of seeing him in person at Brisbane Expo many years ago .

R.I.P. Joe

smiddy

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I used to see him in the Esquire club, Sheffield in the mid sixties with the Grease band. To see him acknowledged internationally for his gravelly, soulful voice was immense.

Sounds like he wouldn't have had the voice at all without all that hard living and tobacco but that's what got him in the end. I am sure he would have had more years if he had lived a clean simple life, some of them in a nursing home. Are we not glad that he made the sacrifice of living his life on his terms and giving something we will never forget?

Happy days, thanks Joe.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

RIP Joe! One of the most unique and recognizable voices in rock and roll.

• Giordano
    Giordano

We had left the JW's and decided to live it up a little so we bought tickets to Joe Cocker and Mad Dogs and Englishman in the late 1960's just after Woodstock.

We dressed like we were going to a meeting sport jacket and tie. The only thing we knew about Joe Cocker was he had covered 'With a Little Help from my Friends.

I had his first album and it showed a heavy looking guy. So we get to the theater and we are sitting three or four rows from the stage and on the stage there is a huge number of musicians and no one who looks like Joe Cocker! Including this guy Leon Russell. For the first half hour different members of the band perform and then Leon gave the opening and Cocker comes out and now looks like Charles Manson until he starts singing.

Man he sung that witness smell right off of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6splB7acXc With a Little Help From My Friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Giordano: Man he sung that witness smell right off of us.

I love that visualization.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thank you NewYork 44M It was a heck of an experence for me and my pioneer partner (wife). It really brought home how much was out there for us to experience after we learned the TTATT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit