where was this quote made?

by Truth and Justice 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi,

My Parents and I are discussing a quote that was made many years ago. We know for a fact that it was made. I have exhausted all of my resources to find it, and so I come here to this fine group to ask you about this quote.

The subject is about money. My Father who had been in the organization for a long time remembers a brother at the podium who said the following:

"Brothers, the day we have to start asking for money, than we know Jehovah's holy spirit is no longer with us as an organization." (end of quote)

The reason why I bring it up is because of the urgency in which the WTS needs these funds, and the trouble that they are seriously in. And with the WTS letter being read this week, mentioning the need for you to send your contributions, it makes it much more important. And of course they use scriptures to convince you of the importance of giving of all your heart. There are way too many lawsuits and legal affairs ranging from illegal dumping of ink - to - lawsuits on the blood issue.

It is very important for me to find the info on this quote, because I will use this information to tell the rest of my siblings who are still in about this.

As always, thanks for your help!!

"Happy Trails to all!" TNT

• karter
    karter

i belive it was Charles T Russell.

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Thanks Karter, I appreciate it.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Truth and Justice -

I am looking for that very quote myself for an article I am writing. I'm sure someone will find it for you very soon. In the meantime, here is an excellent article that covers the subject extensively and well..

http://www.jwfiles.com/wt_honesty/donations.htm

JV

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Thanks Jaun, I will look into it, thank you! TNT

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

*** jv chap. 21 p. 340 How Is It All Financed? ***

“Seats Free. No Collections”
    As early as the second issue of the Watch Tower, in August 1879, Brother Russell stated: “‘Zion’s Watch Tower’ has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support. When He who says: ‘All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,’ fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication.” Consistent with that, there is no begging for money in the literature of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• stillin
    stillin

Woohoo! As usual, you guys rock!

Which book was "jv"?

• Ajax
    Ajax

Yep -

good old Chucky Russell.

Way back when he was still pumped - having realized there was more money in tax free donations than there ever would be in haberdashery.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

jv = Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I've read a few posts mentioning a letter read this week on the topic of donations (begging for money). what's up with that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit