YOU 'THINK' YOU ARE FREE when you leave the Org. . . but it can be an ILLUSION

by Terry 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Terry, rereading my comments to you this morning, they appear pretty insulting. But please know that there was absolutely know sense within me of a personal attack on you. Rather, just a feeble attempt at trying to make – what I consider to be – a very important point. A dynamics that is likely responsible for all man's inhumanity against man and the destruction of our environment. I was just kinda yelling at the whole world to wake the hell up! before we self-destruct.

You are one of the few people who I feel a connection to and feel free to talk to in this way.

Keep up the good work.

• Terry
    Terry

JamesThomas: But please know that there was absolutely no sense within me of a personal attack on you.

It never entered my mind, JT!

You and I have been around here long enough to know each other. Yours is a heart incapable of effrontery; only passion.

In fact, I understood your posts.

I'm not fully enlightened yet, but I do feel like I've made some slow progress over the years--partly, I must say, to many of

your insightful observations and our recherche.

Rock on, Spiritual Dude, rock on!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

You can take the boy out of the Watchtower, but it's a little harder to take the Watchtower out of the boy.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Terry,

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that teaching from Genesis just what all Christian churches teach? I often wondered about that account in the Bible and how other branches of Christendom teach or approach that subject. I have a coworker who is very churchy, spiritual and religious, fasts on Wednesdays (not done because of a church requirement, it's just a personal vow she made to God) and sometimes you can hear her quiely whisper "thank you Jesus", however she doesn't push any of her religious views on anybody and she keeps them to herself. I asked her about this account in the Bible and she really didn't know what I was talking about!!

I also asked her about the account of Dinah since I saw the previews of The Red Tent and she wasn't familiar with that story. I guess her church doesn't bring up in discussing bad association, lol

LRG

• Terry
    Terry

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that teaching from Genesis just what all Christian churches teach? I often wondered about that account in the Bible and how other branches of Christendom teach or approach that subject.

Mileage varies.

In NON-cult churches (snicker) there is little need to speak authoritatively on every passage of scripture!

"Hard sayings" are hard because they make little sense and there are few if any means of testing hypotheses.

The best way, imho, to determine what various denominations may be inclined to say is to check Commentaries by leading members

of the denomination.

Non-canonical (i.e. excluded) writings such as THE BOOK OF ENOCH have more to say, of course.

What it all adds up to is part of mythos passed down generation to (overlapping) generation:)

• SAHS
    SAHS

I suppose the safest approach when citing specific examples relating to religious faith and doctrine is to be sure and always preface it by saying, “some people believe that . . . ,” or “according to the biblical account of . . . , apparently . . . , at least as the story goes,” or even “some religions teach that . . . ,” etc. That way, whomever you’re talking to will be clear that whatever you’re mentioning about whatever biblical or religious account you might be referring to is not something in any way from you or even in agreement with you, but simply a fact about a story or concept which already has been put out there by someone else. For example, whatever you said regarding the “story of the Nephilim,” as long as it was prefaced by something like “according to . . . ,” or “I heard that some people believe that . . . ,” then you should be relatively fine. (As opposed to just starting off with “So, the wicked angels see the daughters of men and . . . ,” blah, blah, as though giving some subtle indication that it’s somehow something you believe in and may even be personally passionate about.)

It’s like when a newspaper article is referring to something to which the editors don’t want to possibly convey any impression that they might be adopting the views or opinions of whatever it is they’re reporting on and so they be sure to put lots of quotation marks around things and use syntax that just informs but only in a purely objective and dispassionate manner.

In other words, you can get away with a lot simply by simple semantics incorporating a complete dispassionate neutrality. It may seem a trifle dry and robotic, but those neutral prefaces and precious quotation marks are the tools of the trade for effectively covering one’s butt in any situation.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Ah! JamesThomas a breath of fresh air in a world of muddled, faith driven minds that confuse fantasy with reality.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder, how do we gauge when we are truly "free" of the WT/JW Org ?

I know that some will claim that merely being on JWN shows one is not truly free, but I wonder what others think ?

Are we not free when we reject as nonsense every single thing they teach ?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Phizzy - "I wonder, how do we gauge when we are truly 'free' of the WT/JW Org?"

When you realize that you truly don't give a hairy blue f**k if JWs think poorly of you and/or you get shunned.

Also, if some of your best friends are XJWs, too.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Vid, in that case I am well and truly free, my friends are either XJW , or never JW.

And I don't give a hairy blue, or any other kind of f**k, whatJW's think of me , or what they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit