1973 Release from Liability form

by Marvin Shilmer 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Today I added a new article to my blog. It will appeal to readers interested in historical documentation of Watchtower blood doctrine. It contains an image of a very rare document from the early 1970s stipulating what Jehovah's Witnesses do not allow. The document is titled Release From Liability and can be viewed at:

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2014/12/1973-release-from-liability-form.html

• blondie
    blondie

During that time the hospitals in my area had a similar for that jws and others who did not want other medical treatments could use as a legal document.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks for posting this!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Thanks Marvin.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

The volume the form document was lifted from contains an opening article originally published in Ethicon (Volume 10, No. 7) Can't say I've ever heard of the publication titled Ethicon, but the article is authored by Dr. Dixon who at the time was medical director at Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn NY. This article by Dixon is layered with fallacy and assumption of things the Bible is completely silent about. It boggles the mind to realize how an educated adult could let him or herself write such claptrap. It's as if he accepted what came from Watchtower without the slightest bit of corroboration!

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

It seems like they moved away from claiming that the risk of harm was a reason they refuse blood over the years. I remember growing up during the early days of AIDS and being told that Jehovah protected us from AIDS by not taking blood transfusions. I remember some kid from school needing heart surgery and a blood transfusion and I thought he was going to get AIDS. I wonder what the ratio was of preventable deaths vs. the risk of HIV, even in those days. For every person who might have statistically been infected, I suspect many lives were lost. I believe many JWs still think blood products are risky from a health standpoint.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I wonder what the ratio was of preventable deaths vs. the risk of HIV, even in those days.

A highly susceptible at-risk patient population during those days was hemophiliacs. JW patients suffering with hemophilia not protected from AIDS as a bloodborne pathagen because under Watchtower doctrine JWs were then accepting the blood "fractions" used to treat the condition.

This represents another misrepresentation of facts by Watchtower. See Facts 3a and 3B at:

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2010/04/watchtower-blood-doctrine-facts.html

Here's another example of the similar gross misrepresentation in relation to transfusion related risk:

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com/2012/05/death-from-trali.html

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Interesting at the end on the signature line ... Watch Tower had preprinted the year as 197_ ... since this was made in 1973 and the end was to be in 1975, I suppose they didn't see the need to just leave it as 19__ which would have allowed them to use the form longer.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Thanks Marvin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit