If I Were Still A JW I Would Think We Had To Be Living At The Time Of The End!

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

"Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble." Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

Thank you, ADCMS.

Outstanding quote.

Wonder what my JW friends would say if they walked into my office and I had THAT framed on the wall?

Doc

• Theredeemer
    Theredeemer

Ask a witness if life is harder now or in the 1930s living in Nazi Germany. Ask a witness if life is harder now or in the middle ages. Or if life is harder now or back in the civil war era.

If there was any age when maybe people could really think the end was near I would have to pick the 1930s-1960s. Think of the World War 2, Korean and Vietnam wars, Cold War, how close the world was to nuclear war, struggles on civil rights, a president being assassinated.

But the world overcame all those things. People moved on and changes took place at an extraordinary rate.

Even in the years 2000-2005. We had 911, the earthquake and tsunami that struck India, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the bird flu outbreak.

And once again, after almost two thousand years of hearing the end is coming;A BIG FAT NOTHING.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't think most Christians think they are living in the time of the end.

• flipper
    flipper

If I were a JW I would have probably left several years ago in 2009 when the WT Society pulled the " overlapping generation " $hit out of their collective mental asses. To try to say that Jesus said not " this generation " - but " these two overlapping generations " would have definitely made me question the sanity of the WT leaders. I exited the JW cult in 2003. If I hadn't of exited then- I guarantee you I would have left in 2009. I would have given up ANY idea that we are living in an alleged " time of the end "

• minimus
    minimus

Well said, mister flipper.😎

• kaik
    kaik

Every generation of Xtians believed that they were the last one and that their years are something special prior the end of the times. History is full of these examples where baptised fools insisted that Christ's kingdom is at the sight. When Alaric sacked Rome in 410, majority of Xtians saw it the symbol of the upcoming Jesus rule as they could not imagine world without Roman power. Thousands of refuges fled to Jerusalem to await Jesus return and millions of more around the known world seen sign everywhere. Alaric died, Roman collapse did not end the world, and Christ had not returned. Augustine wrote hsi monumenal work of City of God that he pushed the invisible presence into Jesus rule in the heaven. Similar mass hysterias happened with the collapse of Frankish Empire or 999. Thousands of literature was written in these 20 centuries to explain the end as proof of the divine inspiration of NT. Another 20 centuries will pass and Xtians will recycle the same nonsense.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Isis is the king of the north

• Mum
    Mum

I would "think" whatever they told me to "think" unless some magician came into my life and gave me the ability to think for myself.

• minimus
    minimus

The inhumanity is appalling.

• apostrate
    apostrate

About 10 years ago we had Hurricane Katrina and the tsunami overseas. News journalists and pundants (as well as many everyday average citizens) were describing these events as "of BIBLICAL proportions". I don't even have to suggest to you what the average JW was thinking.

And of course, this was just a few years after 9/11. A lot of people, not just JW's, were thinking "this has just got to be the end!"

Well within the next ten years there will be new events, bigger events, that will have people believing that "this has just got to be the end!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit