Do the witnesses baptize in Jesus name?

by runForever 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• runForever
    runForever

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-jehovahs-witnesses-christians/

The third bullet point there claims they baptize in Jesus name. I know the baptism questions never mention Jesus once.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

No, they do not baptize in the name of Jesus. Nor do they, nor would they, baptize in the manner He taught (Matt 28:19):

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They have not done so for decades, and even when the "Questions" came close, around the early1960's when I was baptised, they did not specifically say the phrase "In the name of........" as per Matthew.

Although now not attaching any significance to the event of my baptism, when I first left I was pleased to point out to a Ministerial Servant, who accused me of "going back on my Baptism" for leaving, that I was never baptised into an Organisation.

Here are the questions I answered in my squeaky pre-pubescent voice :

"The first question is: Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

The second question is: On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit".

• Honesty
    Honesty

Jehovah's Witnesses lie and say they do when asked if they baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

" baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"

I believe that Jesus never said that and that was an added text. Jesus never placed those three together prior so why and how could he do so here without explanation.

So, the answer is that no one needs to baptize in the name of any of those.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Ah, so you have knowledge of what are, and are not, the Authentic Words of Jesus a Ratti ?

Once you start going down that route you come to realise that we can be sure of nothing that he said. But for most people who call themselves Christian the words in the Gospels are good enough, and they feel happy being baptised in, or more accurately perhaps "into", the names of the Three.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Jehovah witnesses lie and say that they baptise in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit said Honesty

So is that lying for the truth or theocratic warfare?

Just asking....

• blondie
    blondie

questions for baptism in 1985 were as follows: *** w85 6/1 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

(1) On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

(2) Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovahs Witnesses in association with Gods spirit-directed organization?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

What are the questions now for being baptized? Still Totally ADD

• Blackfalcon98
    Blackfalcon98

They baptize in the name of The Father, The Son, and "God's SPIRIT DIRECTED ORGANAZATION".

So no, they don't follow Matthew 28:19,20.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit