Expanse before the flood... will He put it back?

by BetterGuyNow 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BetterGuyNow
    BetterGuyNow

I've never wondered about this before, but I've been on this kick about the supposed infallibility of God.

Let's consider for a moment that the flood was real. God had created the expanse of water in the heavens that shielded the earth from the sun. This is what He considered to be the the right way to build the earth. Then comes flood, and now you can see the sky and the water vapor canopy is gone. So would it be expected that after Armageddon, God would put it back to the way it was, the "right" way, or is mankind expected to live forever on an earth that was altered from its original, perfect design because of the badness of every living thing?

Just a side point: I'm a building contractor. If every time I built a project it all turned to crap, after a while someone my question my ability. Flood, Babylon, Jerusalem, Armageddon. I find it interesting that it is the minority of man that are always running for their lives from the majority failure of mankind as a species. I'm only halfway through my first cup of coffee on a chilly Sunday morning and this thought just popped in my head in connection with the destruction of the flood. Figured I'd type it before I thought to much about it.

Hope you're all having a fantastic weekend!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

God did it this way so he could eventually blame skin cancer, faded car paint, and polar ice caps on Satan.

I'm a building contractor. If every time I built a project it all turned to crap, after a while someone my question my ability.

Do what god does: blame the project. That we you never have to introspect to find the real source of the problem.

• BetterGuyNow
    BetterGuyNow

Thank you for my brand new business plan, ADCMS! Well at least when I become really bad at my job.

• prologos
    prologos

Better guy now, as a building contractor, general --or sub, do you work from plans?, to spec? to code?

The bible books are not plans, wrong specs and describes a universe not buid to code aka natural laws.

read old discussions here;-- on the flood, the (non existing) firmamment aka expanse. use the search field for that. or

wait around with the coming cups of coffee in the frozen north to an enjoyable time of learning here.

BSW: " winter and summer will not cease to exist " so, dont get you hopes up for inulation re-installed in the heavenly attic. do it on a personal level.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

God had created the expanse of water in the heavens that shielded the earth from the sun. This is what He considered to be the the right way to build the earth. Then comes flood, and now you can see the sky and the water vapor canopy is gone. So would it be expected that after Armageddon, God would put it back to the way it was, the "right" way, or is mankind expected to live forever on an earth that was altered from its original, perfect design because of the badness of every living thing?

A more fundamental problem with the heavenly water expanse involves these factors:

1. A vapor canopy with more than twelve inches of precipitable water would raise the temperature of the earth above boiling (Morton 1979). A vapor canopy of only four inches of water would raise the temperature of the earth to 144 degrees F. It is worth noting that several prominent creationists agree with this conclusion, yet their close colleagues continue to teach that there was a vapor canopy (Morton 2000).
    2. A vapor canopy capable of producing the global flood would have increased earth's atmospheric pressure from 15 PSI to 970 PSI.
    3. Some creationists try to solve the vapor canopy problems by moving the canopy out of the earth's atmosphere and into orbit. A canopy of orbiting ice would have been unstable (it could only exist in a ring much like Saturn's). It would have cooled the climate (probably just slightly) until it somehow collapsed to cause the flood. Then the release of its gravitational potential energy would have converted all the ice into superheated steam, not into a flood. - http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH310.html

Also see http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/canopy.html

• BetterGuyNow
    BetterGuyNow

Thanks so much for the additional fuel to the Flood-couldn't-happen fire. I'm settled there.

I'm not asking the question because I personally need reconciliation. I was just wondering how a Witness might explain this. IF I believed the Flood account to be accurate (which I do not), what would be the thought on this matter? Should not God return the expanse because that's where he put it originally and he cannot make a mistake?

It's kind of a "so what?" question, I know. It could be something though. If an artistic conception of post-Armageddon world from the WTS shows a brilliant sun and blue sky (which is certainly appealing to today's mankind) it means either God's original design for the earth was flawed (no, actually this is better, thanks bad guys of Noah's day!) or the WTS hasn't thought about it.

Maybe this belongs on Jack Handy's Deep Thoughts.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I was just wondering how a Witness might explain this.

JW explanation: "go to JW.Org".

or the WTS hasn't thought about it.

In reality, what does WT actually think through?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

*** w63 12/15 p. 767-8 Questions From Readers ***

Are we to understand from Genesis 8:22 that seasons as we know them today, with their extreme conditions, will exist in the new world?—E. E., United States.

... What Jehovah meant at Genesis 8:22 was that the condition of equable climate that prevailed over all the earth before the Flood would no longer exist. Why? Because the great water canopy responsible for such a condition had fallen, resulting in the seasons described at Genesis 8:22. However, as God produced sudden revolutionary changes in earth’s living conditions by the deluge of Noah’s day, with extremes now of heat and cold, so at Armageddon and with the inauguration of his Messianic kingdom he can produce rapid changes that will ameliorate any hard conditions of winter or disagreeable features of other seasons.

Will this be accomplished by a restoration of the water canopy? Will the Creator again suspend it in space so as to produce a hothouse condition on this earth in order that a uniform temperature may again prevail around the globe? The Bible does not say so, whereas the formation of the antediluvian water canopy was part of God’s creative work on one of his workdays before he began his seventh day by ceasing from such creative works for the earth. His rest day has yet a thousand or more years to go. It is sufficient to say that Jehovah God, who already knows what he will do, will handle matters perfectly.He will bring about the most desirable and enjoyable conditions through his King Jesus Christ. This change, which will do away with unpleasant seasonal conditions, will harmonize with God’s restoration of paradise and his removal of death, pain, sorrow, sickness and crying.—Rev. 21:4; Deut. 32:4.

• prologos
    prologos

The Philae lander on the Comet has established that Earth's water did not come from outer space via comets.

It is water on the earth, not in orbiting rings, or an imaginary greenhouse with a pressure sustained water roof, that mitigates the globe's temperature extremes. The Golf stream for Europe, the Pacific for the American North West , Palms in Canada, Hummingbirds in the winter too.

God will not be a 'BetterGuyNow', and put water back up, because he never was a 'WorseGuyThen', and put it up, -and then down - to drown - in the first place.

The bible writers wrote science fiction.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

The Philae lander on the Comet has established that Earth's water did not come from outer space via comets.

It hasn't 'established' it. It may have cast further doubt on the hypothesis that Kuiper Belt comets brought water, but that doesn't definitely rule it out (e.g. what about the earth-like water on Hartley 2?) until more data are analyzed. Scientists are also exploring the possibility that the water came from nearer asteroids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit