New light scripture??

by Daisychaindream 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Daisychaindream
    Daisychaindream

I've seen it mentioned in a few posts and I didn't want to high jack! Can anyone explain what this is about?

• Londo111
  • Daisychaindream
    Daisychaindream

It was more of a rebuttal for us to use -- when jw say it's new light, I think it was New Testament?

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Revelation speaks about "not adding or taking away" from the scriptures...

Is this what you meant?

By the way, the context of Prov 4:18 shows nothing to do with doctinal changes.... It speaks about wicked verses righteous people...

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Off the top of my head I believe it's proverbs 4:18. There's no such thing as "new light" or "old light" in the bible - the only scripture they use to justify it is one that says the path of a righteous man (as contrasted with the path of a wicked man) is like a light that gets brighter as the day draws near.

Of course, any time there's a reference to a day drawing near, the JW's mind will immediately relate that to armageddon. In this context, however, it's clearly just talking about the increasing light from the sun as dawn approaches, nothing about armageddon is implied in any way.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

New light is any new teaching that the ORG thinks will keep them relevant as a "beacon" for the rank and file to follow. Funny, though, that some of the new light was actually old light that turned new again after the previous new light became old and then replaced by new.

Its like buying an LED light fixture to replace an incandescent only to use the LED for awhile then replacing it with the incandescent or maybe even a fluorsecent.

I have learned that the God of the Watchtower changes his mind a lot...

• sparky1
    sparky1

Nice video........concise and to the point. The Governing Body of Jehovahs Witnesses mislead the rank and file on the meaning of this scripture. It is nothing more than King Solomon relating to his son the advice that was given to him by his father, King David on how to lead a good and moral life. Start at chapter 4 verse 3 : I was a true son to my father And the one especially loved by my mother. 4. He taught me and said: "May your heart hold fast to my words........................" And so it goes on and on as Solomon shares the wisdom of his father David with his own son. Nothing more and nothing less.

• morningworship
    morningworship

The light gets brighter means that you can make it up as you go....

• Island Man
    Island Man

Any time JWs quote Proverbs 4:18 to justify changing teachings you simply reply by telling them to read Ephesians 4:14 and 2 Timothy 3:7:

"in order that we should no longer be babes, tossed about as by waves and carried hither and thither by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in contriving error." - Ephesians 4:14

"always learning and yet never able to come to an accurate knowledge of truth." - 2 Timothy 3:7

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

The light gets brighter means that you can make it up as you go....

Dry cynicism. Love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit